Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dividing Newbridge

Options
  • 26-11-2010 11:53am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

A number of councillors have put forward a motion to close a public right of way between two Newbridge estates even though its goes against the development plan and will cut off walking and cycling access to the town and the train station. I am very unhappy about this. I am not a green but I do believe in reducing the need to use cars where possible. I would appeal to people to object to this closing of this right of way by sending a letter to: Senior Executive Officer, Transpotation Department, Kildare County Counicl, Devoy Park, Naas.

http://www.leinsterleader.ie/news/College-FarmGreat-Southern-right-of.6601412.jp

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭aodh_rua

29.6 wrote: »
    A number of councillors have put forward a motion to close a public right of way between two Newbridge estates even though its goes against the development plan and will cut off walking and cycling access to the town and the train station. I am very unhappy about this. I am not a green but I do believe in reducing the need to use cars where possible. I would appeal to people to object to this closing of this right of way by sending a letter to: Senior Executive Officer, Transpotation Department, Kildare County Counicl, Devoy Park, Naas.

http://www.leinsterleader.ie/news/College-FarmGreat-Southern-right-of.6601412.jp

I understand that an alternative route to the station is being examined to compensate for this one being closed off - so it shouldn't overly inconvenience people accessing the station.

Apparently it's a focal point for anti-social behaviour which is the reason why the local councillors believe this step is in the best interests of the local community. By all means make your feelings known as part of the consultation and you can cc: myself and Cllr. Nolan on whatever you send in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 487 ✭✭muffinz

Is this the walkway right at the back of the GS - theres a dark unlit path leading you down to college farm? And on the right side of it theres boards where the residents of one of the houses are building? (Well, its been there for ages). Sure, that place is freaky and unsafe at night, but the entire Newbridge area is dangerous and unsafe at night. :rolleyes: My friend lives in CF, she uses that pathway to get to the train station every morning. I know she would NOT be happy to have to walk the entire way around newbridge just to get somewhere 2 minutes away! Absolutley ridiculous, this better not pass. I know the majority of CF residences wont be happy.

How about the Gardai try to tackle the ever growing problem of anti-social behaviour in this sh*thole down instead of just blocking off roads thinking it will stop people?

The thugs are just going to start hanging out around the new route people take at night time. Jesus, you'd think the people trying to pass this would use their heads. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 29.6

The problem is I don't see how closing this walkway will solve any problems. What else have they tried and what are the alternatives to solve these problems. They say in the article that it is only in the last year there has been trouble so everything was ok before that. So it is not the laneway they should be trying to close but the people causing the problems. The walkway provides access to the town aswell as the train station. Access to the train station from Mount Carmel, Abbey Manor and other estates will also be effected not just College Farm.

If there are significant feelings in College Farm against this plan, then try to organise and co-ordinate a submission against it. The feedback given by the Newbridge councillors is that the residents want this right of way closed off. The public consultation process is there to ensure that the local voice is heard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭foodaholic

The article in the leader states Cllr Kennedy said he would ensure that residents in both estates are consulted.

I am a resident and I have not been consulted.

• Advertisement

I will be getting on to the residents Committee in College Farm as well as
    Mount Carmel and Abbey Manor and College Orchard. It would be great though if people would voice both a individual and collective response to the matter.

I'm just bumping this up as the section 73 notice keeps getting taken down. I'm not sure why they are doing it but they are stopping the issue from being highlighted to the users which is a pity.

I have a good few friends in these estates, and not one of them knew about this until i told them... When do you plan on letting them know? After its been done? :rolleyes:

The Residents committee have already been around with a petition, it's on Boards, there was a sign up, it's been in the Leinster Leader and the Kildare Nationalist. Any further ideas on spreading the word would be appreciated.

Last chance to object to the closure of the walkway between the 2 estates. The closing date for objections is 13/1/2011. So if you use it to walk to town or the train station pleae let your feelings be heard.

• Advertisement

so whats happening? when do we find out whats going to happen now

muffinz wrote: »
    so whats happening? when do we find out whats going to happen now

There's an item on next Wednesday's Council area committee meeting to receive an update on the proposal.

Just had a Counseller knock on the door. Apparently their is going to be a meeting with a judge where everyone gets to put their case to the judge and then he/she makes a ruling. I havent got details of date or location yet but will post when I do

Not sure what to believe from the politicians. I've had a TD and a councillor around to the door, they bought indicated that they thought it wouldn't be closed but they'd say anything to get elected at this stage. I rang the council and they said the public inquiry would be in March. No fixed date or a judge appointed yet. Everyone that made a submission will be notified. I'm not sure how these work but I believe everyone will get their chance to put their case forward. I'm not sure if it will be on mid week as it will make it harder for people to attend.

By the way does anyone no if the minutes of the meetings are on Kildare CoCo website, there only seems to be 2010 meetings.

Oral hearing to be held over Newbridge walkwayspacer.gifspacer.gifspacer.gifKildare Nationalistspacer.gifspacer.gifspacer.gif
    By: Noel O'Driscoll
    KILDARE Co Council is to hold an oral hearing into the possibility of closing off a walkway between the Great Southern and College Farm estates in Newbridge.
    The idea was put forward by Cllr Paddy Kennedy at the January meeting of Kildare Co Council Kildare Area Committee.
    The meeting was told that there were 272 submissions as part of an advertised public consultation process on the issue. Of the 272 submissions 91 were in support of the closure while 181were opposed.
    Cllr Fiona O'Loughlin said that she wanted to put on record that she has a conflict of interest in the issue due to the fact that she is a property owner in the Great Southern estate. However she added that there are issues to do with antisocial behaviour and she questioned whether there had been any contact with Irish Rail. Charlie Talbot, of Kildare Co Council Corporate Policy section, said that there had been no contact with Irish Rail. He added that if the councillors decided that an oral hearing was the way to go then it could take up to two days. He also advised councillors that it might be prudent to look at a date in the second half of March due to the election and Easter holidays. "We don't want an event that nobody can come to," he said. Following the decision to hold the oral hearing Mr Talbot said that the hearing was the next part of the public consultation process. "Following the oral hearing a recommendation will be made to a full meeting of the council and they will make a decision then on whether to close of the access way or not. As a council we have an open mind on the issue and we want to hear the views of the people on the matter," he said.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 anfield_man

I was just wondering if there is any more details on this proposed council meeting. Anti social behaviour has been a real problem for the past 2-3 years now in college farm and unfortunately the great southern suffers as a result. Although strangely over the past month it seems to be really quiet in the area, strange to feel no intimidation in the area again. I cant figure out what has changed in this time?

The laneway is still open so it obviously is not the source of the problem. Thank god for this welcome change the estate is peaceful again and long may it continue.

The councillors, the guards and the residents know where the real problem lies in relation to this issue, closing a laneway will not solve anything its draconian, just results in penalising the decent residents.

Please please please people why dont the residents committees in each area meet with the guards and the PRTB to resolve the issue. Why waste time and money on something that will not work, GET THE PRTB involved ASAP.

I cant understand the thinking that if they close the walkway anti-social behaviour will be reduced. There is still a laneway and the main issue is that there are teenagers hanging out in both estates whos parents havent got a clue/or desire to know what they are up to

• Closed Accounts Posts: 446 ✭✭Devi

Anybody have an update on this? Have to say I don’t really see what I would consider anti social behaviour at all really, just teens hanging around but yer going to get that in every estate at some stage. Biggest anti social behaviour that would annoy me imo comes from adults, speeding and letting dogs ramble.

I rang the Council and they said they haven't appointed anyone to oversee the oral hearing yet. I still think that the two estates should come together to sort any issues out. From what I hear hearings like this cost in the region 4000 - 5000, surely this money could be better spent. People have already aired their views and 181 against the closure to 91 for.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 anfield_man

I agree with 29.6 the 2 estates should come together. Previous post asked about current problems The estate was quiet for the past month or so but the usual suspects are back in force now. Cars speed by my house at a terrible rate if a child were playing on the road I dread to think what could happen. The cars are driven by 18-20 yr olds These same adults (not kids) also use the road as a football pitch intent on causing as much damage as possible to private property. Trees are continually damaged, up to 15 youths can be counted at any one time loitering around houses and gardens they have no connection with, shouting and acting in an intimidating manner. This is reality of what's happening. How is closing a lane going to fix this. Strong collaborative residents associations contacting the PRTB ensuring that landlords are held accountable for their tenants behaviour is the 1st step. More Garda involvement is also needed especially for those owner occupied houses where youths causing so much distress to others

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 ANNE MU

Does anyone know where (or if) an alternative route from CF to station will be if path is closed... I live in Mount Carmel and walk to station.

Advertisement