Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

An update from Manchester's favourite son.

• 26-11-2010 11:59am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/tevez-footballs-now-full-of-bad-people-137618.html
    Tevez: Football’s now full of bad people

Friday, November 26, 2010

MANCHESTER CITY captain Carlos Tevez has stunned the club by admitting he has fallen out of love with football and will quit the game in his prime.

The Argentine forward has been City’s key player this season but admits he has been struggling to motivate himself since his country’s disappointment at the World Cup.

And now Tevez has delivered the bombshell that Eastlands fans will have been dreading.

"I don’t want to play anymore," he said last night. "I’m tired of football, but also tired of people who work in football. I don’t want to play anymore, and I’m talking seriously."

Tevez who is the Premier League top scorer with nine goals (almost half of Manchester City’s total of 19), has been central to his team’s success this season.

In a stinging attack on the nature of the game today, he blasted: "Football is only about money, and I don’t like it. There are so many agents with really young footballers... it’s awful, as these young players are not interesting in winning titles, they only want money. The young players think that they have won something in football because they have two cell phones and a house. Today, there are many bad people in the football business, and you have to fight with them all the time. I’m tired of that too.

"Today, the young players have no education at all, and I don’t want to listen to them. When I played in Boca, when (Martin) Palermo or (Juan Roman) Riquelme talked, I listened to them. So I don’t want a young player to tell me ‘why did you do that?’ in the dressing-room. I would punch him, as I have won 13 titles in my career.

"I’m going to play football for three or four years in Europe, then I will quit. I would play for Boca again only if my father asks me to do it, but I don’t want to play in Argentina again. If you ask me, I would love to have my old life back in my neighbourhood of Fuerte Apache as I don’t like my way of life today."

Last month, Tevez was involved in a furious row with coach Roberto Mancini and he admitted that he had been playing under a cloud from which he is struggling to escape. "The World Cup still hurts me and I’m afraid it is going to hurt me for a long time," he said back then.

Winning the league title in his first season at Manchester United appears to have dampened his desire to repeat that success with City.

"I have won all the titles for the clubs I have played with, but I have won nothing with the national team yet. So, when you have won so many titles, it is really hard to find a new motivation," he told TyC Sports.

"I don’t want to suffer anymore, I just want to be calm, I want some peace. But at the moment, football feels like a job for me."

This story appeared in the printed version of the Irish Examiner Friday, November 26, 2010

Poor Carlos isn't happy again, God love him, its a tough life.:pac:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

do you want his job then? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

He's not half wrong though I imagine.

For someone with a couple of brain cells to rub together, it must be a horrible sole destroying place the dressing room with all the stupid primadonnas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

do you want his job then? ;)

Just his good looks.:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

and people thought santa cruz was just bitter. hmm. seems he was spot on about tevez

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭String

"football feels like a job for me" /facepalm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Powerful stuff. He really did an interview like this with the irish examiner? Or was there another original source?

Ush1 wrote: »
    Powerful stuff. He really did an interview like this with the irish examiner? Or was there another original source?

The Examiner, being based in Cork are used to breaking stories about rebellious sportsmen who don't want to line out for their team.:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

DrMorphine wrote: »
    "football feels like a job for me" /facepalm

Its not really a job though is it? He gets played to play a game. Hes an athlete, athletics is not a job. It may be a career path, but its not a job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

He has spoken.

image023.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Would've thought a top footballer articulating what most people think about the game being ruined by money/agents/prima donna players would be seen as good thing?

• Advertisement

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Would've thought a top footballer articulating what most people think about the game being ruined by money/agents/prima donna players would be seen as good thing?
    Tevez wrote:
    "Football is only about money, and I don’t like it."

A player that signs for City of all people will get little sympathy expressing this sentiment.
    Tevez wrote:
    "There are so many agents with really young footballers"

Like Kia Joorabchian and the dodgiest player ownership deal in living memory that involed Carlos himself?
    Tevez wrote:
    I don’t want to suffer anymore.

Ah here.

City are not alone in being forced to pay out extortianate amounts of money on wages to sign players so you can't criticize one player & not them all if they're all at the same thing throughout the game. But its worth remembering that most people can admit that they will feature quite heavily in the trophy stakes in the near future. So it really isn't as simple as Utd fans in particular like to paint it as being, that anyone who goes to City is a mercenary. Its the most ambitious project in world football currently, without any doubt. That would be of massive appeal to players with big ambitions.

Tevez having an involvment with Kia etc are why him stating that agents are ruinning football, should be seen as a good thing.

Sure if he hadn't any personal involvment what would his opinion be worth?

He is crazy-no doubt, and some of the language is a little ott (I'd imagine the most literal of translation played a part in that), but his sentiment is spot on imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭JimsAlterEgo

pot kettle black comes to mind, such a hypocrite - hes the ultimate example of all hes complaining about

City are not alone in being forced to pay out extortianate amounts of money on wages to sign players & most people can admit that they will feature quite heavily in the trophy stakes in the near future.

Tevez having an involvment with Kia & the likes of other dubious agents are why him stating that agents are ruinning football, should be seen as a good thing, sure if he hadn't any personal involvment what would his opinion be worth.

He is crazy, and some of the language is a little ott (I'd imagine the most literal of translation played a part in that), but his sentiment is spot on imo.

You common sense is unwelcome in my thread set up to poor scorn on a player that controversially left my club to sign for their local rivals. Leave me to my selective quoting and LOL's please, thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭Fuhrer

Maybe if it was a player who had some integrity saying it.

but no, its a player whos been skipping off to another club any time someone offers him more money.

Also, his comment about education is pretty strange. How long has been in England and can barely string a sentance together?

Glass houses and all that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Agree. He's spot on about the state of football. That he is seen by some as part of the problem doesn't diminish his remarks.

You only need look at the disgraceful carry on with Rooney and Man U to see there is no fealty in the game except to Mammon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

pot kettle black comes to mind, such a hypocrite - hes the ultimate example of all hes complaining about

Bitter Man U fan by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

Fuhrer wrote: »
    Maybe if it was a player who had some integrity saying it.

but no, its a player whos been skipping off to another club any time someone offers him more money.

Also, his comment about education is pretty strange. How long has been in England and can barely string a sentance together?

Glass houses and all that.

Correct me if i'm wrong because i'm not sure, but wasn't Tevez willing to play for United for less than what City are giving him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

If Le Tiss said this, I'd respect it. For somebody who took part in 3rd party ownership which is one of the worst developments in football in recent years its ****ing high times. Considering he is also bitching about the fact that younger players don't respect him enough, you'll have to forgive me for feeling sorry for him. See what would happen if a younger player talked like that to Giggs or Scholes at Utd, wouldn't happen. Maybe it's more of a reflection on him. And for a player who joined the most mercanary side available in world football at the moment, what exactly does he expect? And fundamentally, it all stems from the fact he's upset that Argentina didn't win the world cup and doesn't have the desire or determination to push on for the next one.

Sorry, but no, I think I won't agree with him or think any better of him for what he's saying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

Agree. He's spot on about the state of football. That he is seen by some as part of the problem doesn't diminish his remarks.

Definitely agree here.

There is something wrong with football and it's frustrating Carlos. Just because he is on the inside and it's his life, doesn't mean he can't be affected by it even if he can't articulate well or live by his feelings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

LOL at this thread considering the carry on surrounding the question of money (veiled under a notion that it was about winning titles) by a particular Man Utd player of late:D;)

Definitely agree here.

There is something wrong with football and it's frustrating Carlos. Just because he is on the inside and it's his life, doesn't mean he can't be affected by it even if he can't articulate well or live by his feelings.

^^^^^^

Dunphy-esque nonsesne right here.

His biggest problem appears to be the fact that Argentina didn't do well at the World Cup and he's struggling to get over it, the rest is just the ususal petulant bullsh*t he has come out with on several occasions in the past.

The fact that he goes on about not being able to get motivated by winning more trophies is absolutely pathetic. I'm glad Ryan Giggs or Paul Scholes don't have the same defeatist mentality.

LOL at this thread considering the carry on surrounding the question of money (veiled under a notion that it was about winning titles) by a particular Man Utd player of late:D;)

I thought you'd be more worried about losing your best player as he seems so thoroughly unmotivated by his current surroundings that he wants to quit the game entirely?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

flahavaj wrote: »
    ^^^^^^

Dunphy-esque nonsesne right here.

His biggest problem appears to be the fact that Argentina didn't do well at the World Cup and he's struggling to get over it, the rest is just the ususal petulant bullsh*t he has come out with on several occasions in the past.

The fact that he goes on about not being able to get motivated by winning more trophies is absolutely pathetic. I'm glad Ryan Giggs or Paul Scholes don't have the same defeatist mentality.

Leagues top scorer when he's petulant, hate to see him playing when he's actually enjoying himself!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I thought you'd be more worried about losing your best player as he seems so thoroughly unmotivated by his current surroundings that he wants to quit the game entirely?

Why would we be worried?
    "I’m going to play football for three or four years in Europe, then I will quit.

So he plans to do a Cantona and quit when he's 30 after we've had his best years.

Sounds good to me.

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Why would we be worried?

So he plans to do a Cantona and quit when he's 30 after we've had his best years.

Sounds good to me.

He said Europe, not City.;)

Ush1 wrote: »
    Leagues top scorer when he's petulant, hate to see him playing when he's actually enjoying himself!

He appears incapable of enjoying himself.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭kronsington

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/tevez-footballs-now-full-of-bad-people-137618.html

Poor Carlos isn't happy again, God love him, its a tough life.:pac:

I am so sick of this absolute bull****. He should really stop whinging and get on with it and appreicate the unbelievably privelaged position he is in. It's fookin pathetic. While the rest of the world is falling apart, here's some gimp whining that he has "fallen out of love" with the game. it is laughable.

get over yourself carlos.

He said Europe, not City.;)

And City play in Europe ;)

There's a quite humorous bitterness towards Tevez as evidenced by this thread. United could have had him but they turned down the opportunity and we picked him up. Now he's the top scorer in the league.

If anything the anger is misdirected and should be aimed closer to home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,951 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

He clearly doesn't appreciate it how good he has it in life.

And City play in Europe ;)

Amongst others. You wouldn't know with Carlos.
    There's a quite humorous bitterness towards Tevez as evidenced by this thread. United could have had him but they turned down the opportunity and we picked him up. Now he's the top scorer in the league.

If anything the anger is misdirected and should be aimed closer to home.

I'm not really that bitter towards him tbh. Obviously him going to City of all clubs and the classless poster ye put up left a pretty sour taste. He's been brilliant for ye no doubt, in fact ye rely far too much on him as it is. He gets the gametime at City to do his stuff that United couldn't offer him.

You have to admit that some of the stuff he comes out with (and its not the first time) is pretty laughable and in many ways fairly disrespectful towards City as well actually.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

mars bar wrote: »

Maybe he hasn't got it all that good in life? As one of the few people in the world who has lived in destitution and opulence he should be well-placed to see that all the money in the world can't buy you happiness. It's all very well having a trillion pounds and a bag of medals but if you never see your kids or your friends what immediate use is it to you? Saying he'd prefer to move back to Fuerte Apache seems a little extreme though, he could always get a bedsit in Moss Side if he wants to recreate the romance of his deprived youth.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

I'm not really that bitter towards him tbh. Obviously him going to City of all clubs and the classless poster ye put up left a pretty sour taste. He's been brilliant for ye no doubt, in fact ye rely far too much on him as it is. He gets the gametime at City to do his stuff that United couldn't offer him.

You have to admit that some of the stuff he comes out with (and its not the first time) is pretty laughable and in many ways fairly disrespectful towards City as well actually.

Classless? CLASSLESS?

That poster was the epitome of awesomeness.

So just like most footballers then.

Well until he says otherwise I'm happy to assume that those years will be with us.

The poster is no more or less classless than the 34 years poster at OT to be fair. We haven't much ammunition to use in return so when the opportunity arose we pounced and got under the skin of many reds. Fantastic effort IMO.

Of course I don't like it but really it makes no difference as long as he gives 100% on the park, and whatever you say about him there's no denying he works his bollox off.

• Advertisement

The poster is no more or less classless than the 34 years poster at OT to be fair. We haven't much ammunition to use in return so when the opportunity arose we pounced and got under the skin of many reds. Fantastic effort IMO.

To be fair there's a difference between a poster put up by fans for a wind up and the club itself paying for and putting up a poster. Indeed Tevez himself later said he was embarrassed by it. Fans taking the p*ss is one thing, the club going out of their way to do it was just so so smalltime.
    Of course I don't like it but really it makes no difference as long as he gives 100% on the park, and whatever you say about him there's no denying he works his bollox off.

Thats the paradox with Tevez, he works as hard as anyone you could name o the pitch, then he comes out which such stupid, self-pitying drivel off the pitch. Its like he has a split personality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,951 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Maybe he hasn't got it all that good in life? As one of the few people in the world who has lived in destitution and opulence he should be well-placed to see that all the money in the world can't buy you happiness. It's all very well having a trillion pounds and a bag of medals but if you never see your kids or your friends what immediate use is it to you? Saying he'd prefer to move back to Fuerte Apache seems a little extreme though, he could always get a bedsit in Moss Side if he wants to recreate the romance of his deprived youth.

But why go and say it to the whole world? Why say it in the media where it will be reported and where millions of other people who are going to struggle this Christmas to buy a few presents and put a dinner on a table will read it. That's twice he has said this. He can go home to his family. There's nothing keeping him in England except for the money he is earning and he has enough to comfortably live.

As for giving out about the youngsters, they learn from who and what is going on around them Carlos. You know, from players they might look up to.
    I really, really hope the carry on Rooney was at for the contract at United (or what his agent was at) doesn't carry on down through to the youngsters who'll be lucky enough to sign a professional contract.

Anyway, that's my rant over with!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

But why go and say it to the whole world? Why say it in the media where it will be reported and where millions of other people who are going to struggle this Christmas to buy a few presents and put a dinner on a table will read it.

Maybe they'll feel better that at least they have each other and that squillionaire footballers are lonely?

I don't know, I doubt he really thinks through what he's saying and the impact it will have on people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

He's pretty much spot on, and I think anyone who isn't a bitter United fan can see it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,328 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

ntlbell wrote: »
    and people thought santa cruz was just bitter. hmm. seems he was spot on about tevez

What did Santa Cruz say then?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭#15

Bodhisopha wrote: »
    Correct me if i'm wrong because i'm not sure, but wasn't Tevez willing to play for United for less than what City are giving him?

You are wrong.

Utd offered him a deal. He turned it down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

#15 wrote: »
    You are wrong.

Pretty much this but the bitter element of Liverpool fans think he chose City over us so love him again with the same deal on the cards.

The rubbish he came out with today is hilarious imo

You are wrong.

Utd offered him a deal when that horse had already long bolted. The deal would have been done and dusted months before for considerably less than City ended up paying him if Utd hadn't taken the piss out of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

I have no pity for this fella. He's living a life that we can all only dream of and yet he's pissing and moaning at every opportunity. ''Ooh the younger players don't respect me; aah this football stuff is hard like a real job; blaah I've no interest in winning any more!'' What a joke. Maybe the younger players would respect him more if he showed some more commitment to the team and the manager.

On the larger story of City/United/Tevez in general - long may this crap and disruption continue. I'm so happy that he has taken his whining A.D.D. disruptiveness with him in his move over there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭#15

Utd offered him a deal when that horse had already long bolted. The deal would have been done and dusted months before for considerably less than City ended up paying him if Utd hadn't taken the piss out of him.

The original poster said Utd didn't offer him a deal.

They did. And he turned it down.

Carlos was the one taking the piss in the press. He was a disgrace. Not as bad as Rooney, but he was an embarrassment by the end of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,434 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

The original poster said Utd didn't offer him a deal.

They did. And he turned it down.

Carlos was the one taking the piss in the press. He was a disgrace. Not as bad as Rooney, but he was an embarrassment by the end of it.

Worse than Rooney imo, Rooney on the pitch never tried to get the fans to turn against the manager.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

Pro. F wrote: »
    On the larger story of City/United/Tevez in general - long may this crap and disruption continue. I'm so happy that he has taken his whining A.D.D. disruptiveness with him in his move over there.

Karma, that was brilliant:D
    Must show that vid to my Dad, he'll get a good kick out of it!!

Pro. F wrote: »
    I have no pity for this fella. He's living a life that we can all only dream of and yet he's pissing and moaning at every opportunity. ''Ooh the younger players don't respect me; aah this football stuff is hard like a real job; blaah I've no interest in winning any more!'' What a joke. Maybe the younger players would respect him more if he showed some more commitment to the team and the manager.

Same feelings towards Wazza I take it?

I'm glad too. To think United could've had him leading the line instead of Berbatov. Maybe it's that reality that causes the anger.

It's funny how as a fan it's so easy to ignore the carry on of your star players as long as they are preforming on the pitch.........happens at a lot of clubs from what I can see;)

Personally, I don't take offence at what Carlos has said to the press at all, seems he is unhappy with his football life in general and not just City.

• Advertisement
Advertisement