Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Kind of Christmas are YOU having this year

• 26-11-2010 12:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭

are ye having one last blow-out of a Christmas with loads of food, drinks, toys, parties this year.

or are ye going to have a more frugal type Christmas with a pared down version of the Christmas food/drink, less visitors.

I am torn between the two - I know should be watching every penny now, but at the same time I am very tempted to have one last blow out of a Christmas and forget all the doom and gloom because come January we will all be in the doldrums.

I think I am having the big blow-out before the fall in January. Also because we have some inlaws arriving from Poland and want to make it special for them also

what has everyone else decided.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

are ye having one last blow-out of a Christmas with loads of food, drinks, toys, parties this year.

or are ye going to have a more frugal type Christmas with a pared down version of the Christmas food/drink, less visitors.

I am torn between the two - I know should be watching every penny now, but at the same time I am very tempted to have one last blow out of a Christmas and forget all the doom and gloom because come January we will all be in the doldrums.

I think I am having the big blow-out before the fall in January. Also because we have some inlaws arriving from Poland and want to make it special for them also

what has everyone else decided.

I living it up and enjoying this Christmas as much as I possibly can cause I know come January its depression city!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭squeakyduck

As with every Christmas we have a lovely dinner up at my dads house. Mum,dad, my sister and myself. Unfortunately my brother is in New Zealand/cambodia for the hols so it will be the first Christmases without him, it will be lonely in a way. My sister always makes a beautiful meal, and after dinner we watch telly and my other brother comes down with his wife and kids and they show off their Santy presents!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 734 ✭✭✭astra2000

Well like you dolphin I am kind of torn. I do wonder about cutting back a bit on santa but then I think we really dont buy toys through out the year except for birthdays. I am curious as to what other parents spend on their kids christmas presents. I find as they are getting older it is getting more expensive. I was thinking 150e/ 200e each they are 8, 10, 13. The thing is two wants bikes and the other an mp4 player and so quiet a lot of our budget will go on these items. Besides gifts for each other, which will be clothes need to be practical somewhere, we only get for our parents and a couple of other people who always trn up with something for the kids, despite the no gifts rule:).
    I can totally understand you wanting to make it special with your relations coming over, I think that there are some good offers out there on food/wine right now if we all shop around. So I think it can be special on a budget and we will actually appreciate it more. Usually we would get lunch out a few times over the christmas period this year I will be happy with one (have a voucher) and I think I will appreciate it more! Will prob get a chinese one night too. Last year we were at home more because of the snow and it was lovely played lots of board games and the wii, probably drank too much wine! And in general relaxed it was lovely. My mam and dad always have tea on christmas eve and all our family go its great for the kids too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Asphyxia

This year I am going to my parents with my boyfriend as I went to his last year, we exchange presents first, theres loads of hugs and some chit chat helping out in the kitchen :D then we have a traditional Christmas dinner with turkey and maybe a glass of wine with it and then afterwards we go to my father's bar in the other end of the house for some drinks and snacks and family and friends pop in for a visit as well as some of my other sisters and brother with there kids.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭Brian017

astra2000 wrote: »
    Well like you dolphin I am kind of torn. I do wonder about cutting back a bit on santa but then I think we really dont buy toys through out the year except for birthdays. I am curious as to what other parents spend on their kids christmas presents. I find as they are getting older it is getting more expensive. I was thinking 150e/ 200e each they are 8, 10, 13. The thing is two wants bikes and the other an mp4 player and so quiet a lot of our budget will go on these items. Besides gifts for each other, which will be clothes need to be practical somewhere, we only get for our parents and a couple of other people who always trn up with something for the kids, despite the no gifts rule:).
    I can totally understand you wanting to make it special with your relations coming over, I think that there are some good offers out there on food/wine right now if we all shop around. So I think it can be special on a budget and we will actually appreciate it more. Usually we would get lunch out a few times over the christmas period this year I will be happy with one (have a voucher) and I think I will appreciate it more! Will prob get a chinese one night too. Last year we were at home more because of the snow and it was lovely played lots of board games and the wii, probably drank too much wine! And in general relaxed it was lovely. My mam and dad always have tea on christmas eve and all our family go its great for the kids too.
    #

If your budget is 200 euro per child. Halfords have a few kids bikes for around 150 and and below. And your other child who wants a mp4 if he's not particular about the brand, there's an Archos Home Tablet (Plays music and video files which I presume is what he wants) in Xtravision for 180. Have a look around there's plenty of mp4 players within your budget. Only Apple's seem madly priced.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭ashblag

going to have a lovely christmas....we've done secret santa between everyone in the family for the adults and the nieces and nephews....i.e:adults picked a niece or nephews name out of a hat.

Limit of €50 on the present. Money is tight but there will be plenty of get togethers,drinks and celebrations.

Christmas day the whole family is having dinner at the parents...everyone is bringing a dish be it the roast spuds or veg...gonna be about 20 there.

Cant frickin wait :D:D:D:D
    LOVE CHRISTMAS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

I'm going to have a very quiet Christmas. Spending it at home with my parents, and my uncle is coming for a few days as well. It'll be packed with all sorts of food, plenty of Christmas films, lots of reading (actual books as opposed to reading textbooks and journal articles!) and probably quite a bit of sleep.

It's my first Christmas being single for quite a few years, and it's kind of nice not to have to decide who to spend Christmas with or how to divide time between different sets of families :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭alibabba

You don't necessarily need to blow the bank to have a great xmas. Do something different like a charity gift to someone less off , maybe someone older in the neighbourhood or maybe the tubs for toys. Keep it traditional , forget the doom and gloom and enjoy it with loved ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Grindylow

A very quiet and boring Christmas, as usual! :P I don't think I'm even getting presents this year (Raaaaaawr! >_<) but sure! All I wants is the yummy turkey and ham! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,608 ✭✭✭deisemum

It's just my husband and my 2 teenage boys and myself together for christmas. We're not visiting anyone or have anyone visiting.

I'm planning on doing the full works for the dinner just to make it a bit more of an occasion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 928 ✭✭✭Shelli2

my 2 cousins are coming home this year, one from Hong Kong and one from Oz, we realised that this may be the last Christmas that the whole family wll be in the country, so we having an all out christmas day in my uncles.......all 25 of us! God bless my aunt, cooking dinner for all of us :)

It'll be some party, I can't wait.

My son is only 3, he's been told to write a long list and Santa will do his best to pick some things off it. As usual he'll end up playing with a box anyway :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

My husband and mine first christmas married. So we are spending it at home with our dog and 2 cats. I cannot wait.

I'm going to wake him up early so we can have a big brekkie and exchange gifts, then a frosty walk with the dog, home for a nap, then dinner.

Stuffed mushrooms to start, Then the main - Turkey and Ham, creamy mash, roast potatoes, roast carrots and parsnips, sprouts, cranberry sauce, gravy with a big messy dessert (yet to be decided).

Will spend the rest of the evening watching TV in the PJ's.

We have my family coming the next day - so will put on a spread for them.

We can't afford to spend too much, but it's not bothering us at all. We are looking forward to this christmas so much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

Well we have 15 month old and another one on the way so no mad sessions ( for one of us:D )

Before my little fella came allow it was about good food, drink, nights out, big presents etc.

Now for us its time with him. A week off with my son is what we are having, ok some good food along the way but its all about quiet time with the family.

I'll be cooking all christmas eve ( then Home Alone ) and then cooking and family on sunday.

I'm gonna pretty much have the same christmas as I normally have. Going to enjoy it as much as possible...I'll cross the bridge of misery when I come to it :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

my first christmas away from home home but my first christmas in our new home!

It'll just be myself and my boyfriend and our dogs:)

will visit family in the evening but am planning a nice relaxed day.

so looking forward to exchanging pressies on christmas morning and lazing around in my PJs before getting dinner ready, then dressing up to call to family and heading home again for movies, christmas specials, selection boxes and hot toddys! hope it snows

can't wait to go out for few drinks on christmas eve...oh I'm so excited!!!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,245 ✭✭✭psycho-hope

not much, we usually go to my grans for dinner then head home in the evening, depending on what way im working my bf might come out on stephans day if not ill try and head over to him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

We are supposed to be with our inlaws in Portugal (they used to live there) - we were told, not invited! However last year I was sick in bed while pregnant with our son Shane so did not get to see my parents and this year I am also pregnant and can not travel abroad. I feel bad for my husband as his mother is very ill but he will not go on his own. To be fair to everyone we are spending Christmas day at home but will see my family over Christmas and there is always skype (thankfully). Two of my in law's are also expecting (one is having triplets) so there are going to be a lot of young children next year.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Me, my husband and my little boy.

Can't think of anything better.

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

Just the usual, Brothers & Sisters, Mum & Dad, Uncle & Aunt and Nan all around for the day enjoyed by stuffing our faces and playing with new toys.

What more do you want?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭az2wp0sye65487

Whispered wrote: »
    My husband and mine first christmas married. So we are spending it at home with our dog and 2 cats. I cannot wait.

I'm going to wake him up early so we can have a big brekkie and exchange gifts, then a frosty walk with the dog, home for a nap, then dinner.

Stuffed mushrooms to start, Then the main - Turkey and Ham, creamy mash, roast potatoes, roast carrots and parsnips, sprouts, cranberry sauce, gravy with a big messy dessert (yet to be decided).

Will spend the rest of the evening watching TV in the PJ's.

We have my family coming the next day - so will put on a spread for them.

We can't afford to spend too much, but it's not bothering us at all. We are looking forward to this christmas so much.

Sounds like a good one! - Actually similar to my own!

Myself and the O/H have spent the last few Christmases at home, just the 2 of us; and I love it.

I come from a big family; and being the youngest I was always used to a full house at Christmas and being spoiled rotten! So the first Christmas we spent together, just the 2 of us, was a bit of a shock to the system. I'm sure the O/H needed to adjust to it too, as her mother passed away suddenly not too long before Christmas a couple of years back; while the O/H was living with her - just the 2 of them.

Anyway, since we moved in together it has just been the 2 of us together (and our 2 dogs of course). We do visit relatives, my parents & the O/H's sister live close to us so we spend time visiting them throughout the day.

We help Santa deliver his presents for the O/H's niece & nephew on Christmas Eve, and spend an hour visiting them on Christmas morning to see their reaction to Santa's visit! (It's great to see the excitement of kids when Santa has been).

Anyway, all in all it's a great day, relaxing in some ways, and hectic in others. But I love it.

I think I prefer the couple of days run up to Christmas though than the day itself. Getting everything organised, everyone being in good mood etc etc...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭carolinespring

This time last year was I stressed out trying to stop my company going under and managed to turn it all around and not let anyone go.

This year is going to be Christmas as normal. Lots of gifts, far to much food and wine (over the christmas period am going to count it as a fruit portion!!!!) Both sides of the family and lots of friends and a few big nights out.

Have put cash away all year to cover it so should not be painful in the new year.

I've got to say, as it's myself and OHs first Christmas to actually spend together and we're in our first actual home, I was worried it'd be a little boring with just the two of us...both our families have big gatherings on Christmas day and it can be quiet hectic so was a bit apprehensive (but still excited) about it just being the two of us.

But having read other peoples posts, I'm really happy to hear how special it can be with just the two...and our puppy and our new dog that we're adopting!

We're pretty easy-going and just want to enjoy the day without any fuss

So thanks guys for sharing your stories;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

magentas wrote: »
    I've got to say, as it's myself and OHs first Christmas to actually spend together and we're in our first actual home,
    I bet you're having a great time decorating. My mothers christmas tree is usually decorated by my little sister and looks a bit like a drag-queen tree. I was so excited decorating our first tree in our first house and YOU COULD STILL SEE GREEN :eek:

Whispered wrote: »
    I bet you're having a great time decorating. My mothers christmas tree is usually decorated by my little sister and looks a bit like a drag-queen tree. I was so excited decorating our first tree in our first house and YOU COULD STILL SEE GREEN :eek:
    ha I'm trying to put up the tree now but keep getting distracted by boards!!!

yeah it's great to be able to decorate properly and making it our own, been renting for the past 8years so I'm loving the authority on little things like shock horror hammering a small nail into the door to hang my wreath from!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 383 ✭✭piskins72

this year staying in my own house with hubby and cat! its the second year that we have done it, previously we used to go between the inlaws on both sides, but I lost both my parents 3 years ago so its been more of a time tinged with sadness since.

plan is to get up have brekkie, gonna cook the turkey and ham the day before i think, well the ham for sure, I always love to nibble at it on Christmas Eve night, chill for the day in front of an open fire and do it at our own pace and probably just be in PJ's for the day! Stephen's Day going to my inlaws for the big spread dinner. Heading to Kerry on the 27th/28th as I am from there so gonna catch up with loads of people and have my brother in law & his wife joining us for New Years there, so looking forward to that! :)

Advertisement