Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Would you like to see John Bruton re-enter national politics in Election '11?

• 26-11-2010 12:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭

John Bruton appeared on Vincent Browne's show about a week ago. He was asked if he felt the need now, at this nadir, to re-enter national politics. He replied that he was already engaged in work he deemed beneficial to Ireland's national interest and couldn't envisage himself standing for office again.

My question is, would you like him to? I think he's gained a somewhat elder statesman-like reputation over the years. He's eminently respected in Europe and the US, where he served as the EU-US ambassador, and he appears to be a technocrat as well as very well respected among FG supporters.

I'd like to see him back in the Dáil.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Yes, along with Ivan Yates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭maynooth_rules

johngalway wrote: »
    Yes, along with Ivan Yates.

This

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 326 ✭✭marathont

I think Ivan Yates has burnt his bridges with regard to politics. He has been way too honest since he left.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

In my opinion, they're both smart, honest men. Those are two qualities sorely lacking in our current - as Michael Noonan described them yesterday "Cabinet full of dummies". Bad enough to have a cabinet full of dummies, but worse having a shifty, devious, lying cabinet full of dummies! I don't think bridges are burnt that easily in politics either, especially with the people concerned.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

I wouldn't, to be honest.

There are too many of the old guard knocking about in Dail Eireann.

They were brought up in a politicial landscape where you got elected by getting someone a medical card or visiting pensioners and telling them they were getting a nice extra bit of fuel allowance this winter.

Those guys simply aren't equipped to deal with the IMF, EU and the reality that there are going to be massive tax increases and cuts in public spending.

Nor are they credible to the man on the street, because they are so used to the nice suits, government cars and polite political debate that the guy who has just lost his job or is facing mortgage repossession can't relate to that.

We also have to get away from this terrible disease in Irish politics of FF / FG bi party system, where neither party has any real political beliefs.

• Advertisement
Advertisement