Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does anyone know where Def Leppard lived in Dublin circa 1984?

Options
  • 26-11-2010 12:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

Watching Classic Albums last night, Def Leppard: Hysteria.

It said that before they recorded the album they all moved into a house in Dublin, where a lot of booze was consumed and started working on the tracks. It was described by the band as being similar to a "Young Ones" situation.

So does anyone where they lived?

Or were Def Leppards your neighbours for a year? :P

Great episode of Classic Album BTW.

Wouldn't be a Def Leppard fan, but some really great tunes on there :)

From Wikipedia:
    Hysteria era (1984–1989)
    Following their breakthrough, the band moved to Dublin in February 1984 for tax purposes to begin writing the follow-up to Pyromania.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

Doesn't Joe Elliots ex wife still live in the Dalkey area?

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭oldscoil

Yeah I think so....

Although I don't think they lived there....might be wrong though....:confused:

Alos on a separate note, watching the program last night couldn't help thinkin' Joe was wearing a Highland Jig :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

trad wrote: »
    Doesn't Joe Elliots ex wife still live in the Dalkey area?

Joe isn't divorced, his wife and he live in Dalkey - well, technically Stepaside (she recently gave birth to their first child, that's why Def Leppard took a hiatus - because Joe's wife was pregnant and apparently he was never around)

I met them in Dublin a few years ago at Warner Music Ireland, and I tried asking them about this, but I was told the place where they lived might not be there anymore. I think it was a rented house somewhere in Dublin 4

Phil Collen also lived in Ireland full time for a few years but left because he got homesick. Joe Elliott was advised to go to Dublin by his accountant who told him that if he stayed in the UK he would loose thousands in taxes.

Joe also attended a MCR gig in Dublin in 2007, but never showed his face, he just got a song dedicated to him

• Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭allanb49

He lives up in Stepaside in Dublin 18/ Co Dublin, The girls in the spar know him and comes in there now and then with the band,

Also Nigel in the bookies across from Spar knows him,

Met him once last year when he came in to make a bet.

Nice guy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Here is what happens when you live next to Da Lepps

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭peter1892

mike65 wrote: »
    Here is what happens when you live next to Da Lepps

I believe that was an old house off the Stillorgan rd. that was in the process of being demolished. So the band/video people asked if they could 'have a go' ;)

I met them in Dublin a few years ago at Warner Music Ireland, and I tried asking them about this, but I was told the place where they lived might not be there anymore. I think it was a rented house somewhere in Dublin 4
    **Edited @ 13:58**
    ****Sorry Peter, I was typing while you were typing, apologies for repeating your comment****

I hope Joe isn't getting his story confused,:P

Pour some Sugar on Me Music video (Wikipedia)
    There are two different music videos to the song. The first version shows the band playing inside a derelict Irish stately home (Mount Merrion House at Stillorgan Dublin) while it is being demolished by wrecking-balls. :P

Members of the band Tesla appear in the crowd scenes.
    This version, filmed in 1986, was disliked by the band.The second version, aimed at American audiences, was a video of the band playing the song live.

Shame they didn't like vid :(, it was a classic when I were a Lad :pac:
    And even looking at it now is still a great video, and doesn't look as dated as other vids from 1986.

The US version is a piss-poor Bon Jovi-esque montage of nonsense :mad:

Also the lady swinging the wrecking ball is none other than Sister Assumpta form Father Ted....Irish actor Rosemary Henderson, who, now I'm 35,find strangely very sexy in that vid.... :eek:

....I'm gonna go get a cuppa tay, rethink a few things.......:o

peter1892 wrote: »
    I believe that was an old house off the Stillorgan rd. that was in the process of being demolished. So the band/video people asked if they could 'have a go' ;)

There's something I didn't know!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,861 ✭✭✭RayCon

oldscoil wrote: »
    Members of the band Tesla appear in the crowd scenes.

:eek: There's something I never knew ....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

This thread is full of ROCK FACTS.

Dunno why they didn't like the UK/Ireland version of the vid, its a classic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

Anyone know exactly where the house was?

Anyone know exactly where the house was?

The Fitzwilliam estates were inherited by the 11th Earl of Pembroke, 1816.
    Mount Merrion was occupied for a time by Sidney Herbert, 1st Baron Herbert of Lea, and later by Sir Neville Wilkinson 1903 to 1914.

He planted on the lawn there cuttings from the cedars of Lebanon at the Herbert's ancestral home Wilton House.

The estate at Mount Merrion started to be sold off to property developers 1918.

[Mount Merrion Estates booklet, 1925-26] shows the new housing estate being planned, as this area of Dublin rapidly built up with suburban housing in mid-20th century. Think first houses not built until early 1930s.

Mount Merrion House itself was sold to the Catholic church 1935.

The Lodge was converted for use as a Catholic church for the new local population, opened 1936.

It was replaced by the grand new Catholic church 1956.

The main block is gone.
    The Lodge and the stables survive, beside the grand new Catholic church.

The estate at Mount Merrion started to be sold off to property developers Mount Merrion Estates around 1925, as this area of Dublin rapidly built up with suburban housing in mid-20th century. Mount Merrion House itself was sold to the Catholic church in 1936. The main house was converted for use as a Catholic church, and a new church, the Church of St. Therese, was built alongside in 1956. Much of the house was demolished in the late seventies.

However, the front block of the house was retained and a new community centre was built onto the back of it. The plans for recent construction work on the community centre originally involved demolition of the house, however the plans were amended due to protests.

The stables survive, beside the church. The original granite gateway were salvaged and now stands as the entrance to Willow Park School on the Rock Road (ironically Willow Park's own original gateway on Booterstown Avenue was later removed). Part of the estate eventually became the prestigious men-only Fitzwilliam Lawn Tennis Club on Appian Way. These lands were part of the Fitzwilliam and later Pembroke Estates.

Maps such as John Roque's (1760) and Barker's Estate Maps (1762) show much of what is now Deerpark as a formal walled garden and many of the prominent avenues and boundaries of the nearby Mount Merrion House lands form the basis of the present local road network.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

Ah ha:

""Mount Merrion" house, Stillorgan Rd
    The Fitzwilliam house is not to be confused with "Mount Merrion", a 19th century house down on the Stillorgan Rd, where Stillorgan Park Hotel now is, which was demolished 1986.
    The original video for the song "Pour Some Sugar on Me", by the band Def Leppard, was shot in 1986 at the demolition of "Mount Merrion" on the Stillorgan Rd, while the band pretend to play inside (they are being filmed somewhere else)."

Thanks for all your posts Folks ..........I'm loving this......:P

Heres some images of Mpunt Merrion House down through the years...

o_vme7cyle.jpg

o_d4y6hvjo.jpg

o_2hg2v1b1.jpg

Advertisement