Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NI Health Insurance

Options
  • 26-11-2010 12:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

I have health insurance in Ireland, and every year the cost keeps increasing. I've had to go to the lower plan just to keep it at the same rate.

Now I know if I fall under a bus and need emergency care I'll be whisked to the nearest hospital, but if I knew something needed doing in advance I wouldn't mind going to NI to get taken care of.

Do you know if it would be cheaper to take out health insurance in Northern Ireland and if they'd accept Southern Irish customers?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭NuMarvel

I don't know what the costs of UK health insurance are, but the UK health insurance market is a risk rated market, so your premiums would be age related, i.e. increase because of your age, as well as to cover overall increased claims costs.

There are a number of UK insurers, with the main ones being BUPA, AXA-PPP, and Aviva. Probably no harm to have a look at their websites to get quotes.

With regard to Irish insurers, if you haven't done so already, have a look at the Health Insurance Authority's website (www.hia.ie) to see what other plans are out there. Their website includes a comparison tool, but there are nearly 200 plans on the market so take a little bit of time to see what your alternatives are. Also, ask you current insurer about the plans marketed at the corporate sector. These are usually very similar to the mainstream plans and are nearly always cheaper. Under Open Enrolment legislation, you're allowed to join them regardless of who you do or do not work for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 CaptnGumption

Thanks NuMarvel

Advertisement