Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Survey van attacked and destroyed in Louth

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

The start of an uprising?

No - just some thugs acting the bollox.

Hardly the start of a 1916 style uprising.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,372 ✭✭✭bladespin

Such a shame :p

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Joe10000

Terrible news :^\

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭endurodave

"traffic survey" so that's what their calling grabbing revenue nowadays.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

wasnt there a thread for this already? think it got moved to motoring........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Lightshow

I believe the proper response here goes something like this...

G'wan de tooooown!!

What the hell was a gatso doing on this road anyway. I know the north east area like the back of my hand. I have no memory at all of any deaths or seroius injury on this road over the past 20 years.

1 less gatso = 1 less stealth tax on the people of Ireland. Having said that though, I don't condone vandalism of any kind and I'm glad that nobody was hurt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭BronsonTB

Can a mod update the title...was a survey van not gatso...

www.sligowhiplash.com - 2nd & 3rd Aug '25

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Actions of intimating low brained idiots.
    The public will have to fork out for the cost of replacing the van, equipment an other possible expenses (be it now the vans will have to be also have another Garda on duty when the vans are being used and/or higher insurance premiums which we too will be paying for).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭jimthemental

Jesus, cut the tyres or smash the windows, bad enough but they lit this thing while there was a guy inside. Absolute cnuts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

BronsonTB wrote: »
    Can a mod update the title...was a survey van not gatso...

aww :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Lightshow

Jesus, cut the tyres or smash the windows, bad enough but they lit this thing while there was a guy inside. Absolute cnuts.

Holy f**k! They're a bit mad up that end of the country. Decades of troubles meaning the value of human life has been reduced to nothing in some people's minds.

I HATE speed cameras but this was a childish and dangerous turn of events.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,339 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I'm about to cry, those go safe vans are just trying to save lives
    My bollix they are!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 154 ✭✭Mits

I'm glad nobody was hurt but I delighted somebody had the balls to act. That road is not dangerous and this was pure revenue generation.

I saw that van outside blaney and thought of fish in a barrell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,933 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Avoid stealth tax by driving properly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

FatherLen wrote: »
    wasnt there a thread for this already? think it got moved to motoring........

It's not a motoring thread. It's a general discussion about your views an reactions on what happened to the poor little van ;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Wonder if they managed to snap a picture of the culprit!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

I can't believe people would even try to defend this act. Whether or not you agree with those vans, someone was just doing their job and could have been killed.

Complete and utter scumbags who did this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,129 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I already felt the need to mention this incident in the "Cold weather tips? How do you cope?" thread.:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

There was only one guy in the van, get it right!.

jester77 wrote: »
    Wonder if they managed to snap a picture of the culprit!

Oh that would just be poetic :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭jackiebaron

There was only one guy in the van, get it right!.

I don't read him stating that there was more than one in the van :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

It wasn't a speed camera van. It was there to monitor volumes of traffic.

I don't read him stating that there was more than one in the van :confused:

I think he means I mean the lad in the van was the cnut because of his job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,339 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

someone was just doing their job

Sitting in a van on a dangerous road is hardly what you'd call a job.

k_mac wrote: »
    Sadly, brainless gobscites don't bother to actually assess these things right before they go down a road of idiotic, thoroughly stupid actions!

Some family this Christmas morning coming could have been waking to a sad day with one parent less to be with their kids if things had turned out worse!

I don't find that funny for one second - and anyone that thinks that setting fire to a survey vehicle that has someone in it, is either right and/or hilarious, is wrong - and as for the persons that did it, I'd want nothing to do with them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

I hope if they get caught they will be held for attempted murder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭Burkatron

Tell that to the people queueing up at the post office collecting the scratcher on a weekly basis!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Mozoltov!

Just gets better. Retarded scumbags who can't tell the difference between a Gatso and a survey van.
    Don't quote me on this now Ted but, I think, that yes, wait, what's that, yes, it is in fact a form of employment therefore, it is also called a job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

some poor fellow trying to earn a crust, in a poxy job, getting paid feic all, in a poxy recession, has a petrol bomb thrown into the van he's sitting in on a freezing night?

And some people think that's funny/a good idea/a novelty??

Fucking scumbags. It take a fucking scumbag to do that to another person, & it take another scumbag to condone them.

As another person said - I hope they're caught and tried for manslaughter attempted murder.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭De Hipster

Zulu wrote: »
    As another person said - I hope they're caught and tried for manslaughter.

Eh someone died?!

Manslaughter charges would need for them to go back and finish the job...actually that would then be classed as murder with the addition of planning and actual intent.

De Hipster wrote: »
    Eh someone died?!.
    Good point! Attempted murder.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭cul-2008

Biggins wrote: »
    Actions of intimating low brained idiots.
    The public will have to fork out for the cost of replacing the van, equipment an other possible expenses (be it now the vans will have to be also have another Garda on duty when the vans are being used and/or higher insurance premiums which we too will be paying for).

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but I don't see how the public will have to fork out any money to replace the van as it is owned by GoSafe, a private consortium, and not AGS?

On another note, trying to kill someone for earning a wage is pathetic on all levels. If you get caught, just suck it up like everyone else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭De Hipster

My understanding was that the Gardaí designated the locations of these GoSafe vans, why in that case was the van situated at a non Accident Black spot conducting a traffic volume survey at 5am?

Not in any way condoning the actions of the person/people who set fire to the van...but 15 vans for the purposes of road safety not effectively deployed to carry out the duties for which they were engaged.

cul-2008 wrote: »
    Correct me if I'm wrong here, but I don't see how the public will have to fork out any money to replace the van as it is owned by GoSafe, a private consortium, and not AGS?
    In a number of ways.

If the insurance premiums are increased for a private company, where does a person think those increased charges alone are going to be passed onto?
    The state as it requests their further services!
    Who is going to end up paying possibly for the medical bills for anyone injured and/or for the need of a Garda presence at times?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Dannyboy83

cul-2008 wrote: »

On another note, trying to kill someone for earning a wage is pathetic on all levels. If you get caught, just suck it up like everyone else.

[cough]
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=68965652&postcount=1
    http://www.peoplesrepublicofcork.com/~peoplesr/forums//showpost.php?p=3490461&postcount=6

Xavier McCauliffe, the well known Kerry Businessman who was prosecuted for crashing his helicopter resulting in the death of a young female passenger is the man behind this company. He owned Spectra Photo in Listowel, and sees this as a replacement revenue stream now that everyone is gone digital and photo processing is extinct. He is also a committed Fianna Fáil supporter.

The contract was awarded by the department of justice which is headed up by Fianna Fáil minister, Dermot Aherne.
    [/cough]

==
    Stop talking down the economy. Soft Landing any minute now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 716 ✭✭✭DamoDLK

Contrary to other posts - The Dundalk Carrickmacross road is a very bad and potentially dangerous road, anybody that actually knows the road - knows this to be true.

My understanding was that the Gardaí designated the locations of these GoSafe vans, why in that case was the van situated at a non Accident Black spot conducting a traffic volume survey at 5am?

Not in any way condoning the actions of the person/people who set fire to the van...but 15 vans for the purposes of road safety not effectively deployed to carry out the duties for which they were engaged.

It wasn't a gosafe speed van. It shocks me how people cant comprehend this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

Zulu wrote: »

Or even attempted manslaughter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

It wasn't a gosafe speed van. It shocks me how people cant comprehend this.

The RTE news says it was.
    Garda Commissioner Fachtna Murphy has condemned the arson attack on a GoSafe van

Originally Posted by Zulu
    Or even attempted manslaughter.

Not 100% sure which one is applicable but roughly...

Manslaughter is something that happens in the heat of the moment or in a semi-state of madness, etc - but not really planned in advance.

Murder or it attempt is something that is more so planned in advance.

If someone chucked a petrol bomb it might be argued that it there was a clear previous intention (to the actual act) to doing the deed (gathering and preparation of substances/equipment used) - so it could be a charge of attempted murder in the first or second degree.

...However I could be wrong and lets be honest, the chances of the culprit(s) being caught and found is sadly unlikely.

• Advertisement

DarkJager wrote: »
    The RTE news says it was.

Ah well if RTE says so it must be true. The van was owned by GoSafe but was not a speed van.

Dannyboy83 wrote: »
    [cough]

[/cough]

==

Somehow I think the IMF won't be up for handing 70k to a Kerry man to replace one of his privately owned vans. The days when supporting Fianna Fáil worked in your favour are slowly diminishing, and because your best buds with Joe Soap in the Dáil means feck all to the boys at the EU & the IMF.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭I.S.T.

Some of the vans are used to monitor speed levels on roads which are not in the list of locations where the speed traps will be. If there is a high percentage of people speeding on that stretch of road then it will be added to the list. It looks like this van was one of the ones monitoring speed levels. Although why was it was there at 5am?? Surely the most effective way to monitor is later in the day when the traffic volumes are high.

"a speed camera survey van"

From RTE news. First paragraph.

Biggins wrote: »
    In a number of ways.

If the insurance premiums are increased for a private company, where does a person think those increased charges alone are going to be passed onto?
    The state as it requests their further services!
    Who is going to end up paying possibly for the medical bills for anyone injured and/or for the need of a Garda presence at times?

In all fairness I referred to the fact that you said we would be liable to pay for the van, which isn't true. An extra few thousand on on insurance premium will no doubt be added to the upcoming invoice addressed to the state, an increase which is something you'd want to be very brave to try and charge given the gross earnings GoSafe are earning from this scheme - especially with the EU and the IMF on the scene.

It could also be viewed as a risk one takes, which must be absorbed from the companies profits.

You can get into the nitty gritty of what if's etc, but in my opinion it's creating an unnecessary negative attitude towards an already negatively viewed GoSafe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

What the fcuks a gatso!

Dannyboy83 wrote: »
    [cough]

[/cough]

==
    Whats the point of your post Dannyboy83? Are you suggesting that because the company owner is a Fianna Fail supporter it somehow excuses someone else to throw a petrol bomb into a van that a person is sat in??

No? Then what's your point? Why obfuscate the issue or the actions of a dirty scumbag?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,372 ✭✭✭bladespin

Was only a matter of time, more will go the same way.

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Flesh Gorden

Wrong, below from the garda site
    On a phased basis, GoSafe will provide 6,000 enforcement hours and 1,475 survey hours per month across the country.

For the 6,000 enforcement hours, the cameras will operate from vans which will be marked with high visibility reflective material and will display a saf€ty cam€ra symbol. Images of the vans are available on the right hand side of this page.

The survey hours will be conducted from unmarked vans, in order to accurately observe and record the speeds at which vehicles are currently travelling, for survey purposes only.

In other words, they're seeking out new future locations by doing speed surveys now, nothing to do with traffic volumes

per year it works out around 3611 fines per van per year to break even on €65m over 5 years

so expect to see them more on motorways and other duel carriageways instead of blackspots

besides parking up a van on the hard shoulder is more dangerous then any speeding

• Advertisement
Advertisement