Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Survey van attacked and destroyed in Louth

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

fryup wrote: »
    yes, probably local provos paranoid that the cops were spying on they're cross border smuggling
    Thats what first came into my mind.

These survey vans Gatso vans can log several thousand registration plates per hour and if it is linked up to the pulse system can notify in real time if the car is stolen, wanted, NCT'd or taxed. Certain elements in this area may not want their civil liberties imposed upon. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

TopBombing wrote: »
    You obviously dont know the road that well then, or maybe it's just your memory thats going.

There have been at least 3 people killed on that road in the last 10 - 15 years.

Can think of 4 in the last 10 years off the top of my head. Including the guy who was killed by an ambulance. I hate speed cameras generally but can see no issue with having them on that road, it's one of the worst around.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭delta720

Lightshow wrote: »
    I believe the proper response here goes something like this...

G'wan de tooooown!!

What the hell was a gatso doing on this road anyway. I know the north east area like the back of my hand. I have no memory at all of any deaths or seroius injury on this road over the past 20 years.

1 less gatso = 1 less stealth tax on the people of Ireland. Having said that though, I don't condone vandalism of any kind and I'm glad that nobody was hurt.

There have been loads of accidents on the Dundalk-Carrick road over the years, the last fatal one I can remember was around 8 years ago though. Sure thats why they did up aload of it during the summer of 09. So I don't think your comment is completely fair regarding that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

delta720 wrote: »
    There have been loads of accidents on the Dundalk-Carrick road over the years, the last fatal one I can remember was around 8 years ago though. Sure thats why they did up aload of it during the summer of 09. So I don't think your comment is completely fair regarding that.
    EDIT: Ah, the Dundalk to Carrick road. Can't think of a death in the last two years but it's terrible piece of road.

It's still crap unfortunately, the surface was the least of the problems on it. But with our habit of one-off housing any useful improvements are pretty unlikely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭saltandpepper10

made my weekend hearing this pity they didnt burn the rat inside it as well,ordinary citizens can only take so much,hopefully first of many

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

made my weekend hearing this pity they didnt burn the rat inside it as well,ordinary citizens can only take so much,hopefully first of many

You are far from an ordinary citizen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Banned.

We will not tolerate the calling for murder of "ordinary citizens"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Flesh Gorden

k_mac wrote: »
    How am I wrong? What you quoted is what I said.

yeah and it was wrong, they're measuring the speed cars are currently travelling at, not traffic volumes like you said

the two lengths of thick insulated wire across a lot of roads at this time are to measure traffic volumes, not white unmarked gatso vans at 5am in Co.Louth
    And parking on a hard shoulder is not more dangerous than speeding.

Its suddenly coming to a stop that kills, even at 50 kph you'd be lucky to survive crashing into a stationery van parked up on the hard shoulder.

You'd need to be fairly naive to compare the danger of a stationary object parked next to moving traffic
    to cars going above a speed limit thats not suited to the conditions and level of traffic at a given time

Don't forget the sight of a gatso van is going to cause people to brake hard no matter what speed their doing out of pure panic,
    that could easily force hgv's onto the hard shoulder and straight into the gatso van to avoid a pile up

Good luck if you ever have a blow out, a flat tyre or your wipers get damaged in a storm and a gatso van is parked up the hard shoulder

Advertisement