Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pork Belly - Remove ribs?

Options
  • 26-11-2010 1:10pm
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi everyone

I have a piece of pork belly which I am going to slow roast this weekend.

It's quite thick and has several ribs attached. Should I remove those first before roasting and cook them seperately?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭Kimia

I can't really 'see' how the cut of pork looks in my head so it's hard to advise you exactly (i've never seen pork belly with ribs in) but in my opinion and experience I'd never take out the bones before roasting - they add flavour and tenderness.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

I'd just leave them in while cooking and take them when slicing.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,048 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Definitely, leave them in - they protect the bottom of the meat while it is cooking and keep everything nice and succulent!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Thanks everyone, going to cook this tomorrow :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,210 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

Google Jamie Olivers recipe and make sure you make the gravy. It's effing devine!! Oh and without a doubt leave in the bone until its cooked. Keeps the meat juicey.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

This was utterly delicious, lots of seconds and finger licking :)

Really enjoyable, plus the piece I got was so huge that there is half of it left for sandwiches, or just the odd snack :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,210 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

Stheno wrote: »
    This was utterly delicious, lots of seconds and finger licking :)

Really enjoyable, plus the piece I got was so huge that there is half of it left for sandwiches, or just the odd snack :D

It's awesome isn't it. And such a cheap cut of meat too. How did the crackling work out?

Did you try the gravy from the Jamie Oliver link?

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭muckety

+1 for jamie oliver's recipe - beautiful gravy!

From a good size pork belly we usually have enough left over to do a fried rice meal the next night (and we are a greedy family of 5) - its a great value cut.

The crackling turned out great and the gravy was delicious, thanks for the link :)

Advertisement