Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas Market - Fitzwilliam square

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Barna77

Will give it a go. The market in the IFSC is always the same, same stalls as the Oktoberfest. In Galway they have kangaroo burgers, hope they have them here too :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭NickDrake

Going to go tomorrow. Opened today. Any good?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭tfak85

was due to open at 12 today, went by about 2 and nothing was near ready...there are probably delays due to the weather.

hopefully will be as nice as the one in galway, the gluwein there was only €2.50!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭woolymammoth

tfak85 wrote: »
    there are probably delays due to the weather

44540219.jpg?redirect_counter=1&st=ts

hah! been watching them the last few days, definitely slowed down by the weather. ^that was thurs. afternoon..^ Never got the chance to call by today but i'll definitely be there tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭daiixi

Lots of setting up going on this afternoon for this.

• Advertisement

yeah i went round about 1ish yesterday, was told it was closed. They had a lot of delays with the snow, and it's due to be open today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭NickDrake

Hey . Went down yesterday and it was closed, just setting up.

They said they will be open today.

Anyone know if it is up and running??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭tfak85

was there about 5 yesterday, managed to get our hands on mulled wine and mulled apple juice from the one place that was open, the two lads there reckoned everything would be running today.
    it was still REALLY empty and i imagine mon/tues will be great!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 markfitz72

it should be open today, but defo 2moro and tues. the weather has seriously hampered everyone trying to get set up, but a good few stalls open and more will be the next couple of days... gonna be a good market. really nice people working in it

definitely up and running now, was just over for a look earlier on. anyone looking for the booze mulled wine, it's just round to the right when you go in the gate on Fitzwilliam Square north. Mulled wine was €4. They have some other drinks too, even warsteiner on tap for €5. some nice stalls with all kinds of stuff from candles, wooly hats, food, golfing stuff, even the guys from purchase.ie were there, so if you're looking for anything off them you can save yourself on delivery and possibly even grab a bargain. Still icy though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15 FleurBelle

Work right by there and have been watching them set up all week, can't wait to go have a look around!

I think it's the first year for the market so really hope it goes well for them, haven't really seen it advertised much?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 markfitz72

FleurBelle wrote: »
    Work right by there and have been watching them set up all week, can't wait to go have a look around!

I think it's the first year for the market so really hope it goes well for them, haven't really seen it advertised much?!

i was there all day... seems fairly fully up and running now

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Leitrim lass

Went there today on my lunch break and had a enjoyable half hour browsing the cabins and eating a tasty burger . good variety of stalls and everybody is really nice. I will be back there to pick up my Christmas pressies.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Anyone been to this and the IFSC one this year?

I'd love to hear a comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Barna77

I was there today. it was nice altogether.

And got hammered with one glass of mulled wine :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Could do with adding some photos to the 'gallery' on the website.
    All sounds a bit lackadaisical thus far.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Twenty10

I've been to both places. In my opinion the one in IFSC is far superior.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭donaghs

Anyone been to this? It is open the general public and do they charge?

Had a look at the site but cant see much info: http://www.dublinchristmasmarket.com/

The last time I wandered into that square (weekday afternoon) I had to be let out by an elderly keyholder who berated me for my ignorance at trespassing there. Any every other event there seems to look quite exclusive so I just have an impression of the place that the "general public" arent welcome. I know its not a public park, etc etc.

Also, after the experience of and other peoples tales from "The Taste of Dublin", I'm wary of ending up in another rip-off scenario.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭donaghs

Yes, I was just looking back on older threads and saw that. Not much detail on cost and that sort of thing. e.g. for starters, is it free in?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

How much for a glass of mulled wine in IFSC and in FitzSq.?

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭MemEmee

Free in. went last night. open til 9pm.

was the only person there, virtually. felt sorry for stall holders.

nice stuff and nice settings. if you're into candles and soap and nuns from belarus selling icons!

food stalls too.

lots of stalls closing at 6 as no on there.

had to know it's on until you're in square. gates open on all 4 sides.

Brutal website here http://www.dublinchristmasmarket.com

IIRC in IFSC it's 3euro plus a 1euro deposit on the mug (you get back)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,311 ✭✭✭markpb

enda1 wrote: »
    How much for a glass of mulled wine in IFSC and in FitzSq.?

IFSC is €5 with a €2 deposit on the cup. It's strong but not great IMHO. I haven't had a chance to make it to Fitzwilliam square yet.

markpb wrote: »
    IFSC is €5 with a €2 deposit on the cup. It's strong but not great IMHO. I haven't had a chance to make it to Fitzwilliam square yet.

:eek::eek::eek::eek:

I was in Monschau in Germany on Sunday and it was €1.50 a glass, similarly in another market I was in in Brussels it was €2/€2.50

Five's awful steep!

Do you know if its from a bottle or do they make it themselves?

edit:
    OisinT says €3, so which is it? Or are their multiple stands with different prices?

the mulled wine was €4 in Fitzwilliam last time i checked. A bit much for what it was imho.

Was over at the one in IFSC last night. great setup, much better than Fitzwilliam i think. But f*ck me was things pricey. Things were pricey when times were good, but I got the feeling that if everything cost 2/3 or even 3/4 of what they were asking (i.e. a more realistic price), the place would've been much more packed. As it was, it was 1/4 full. That's two things that pi$$ me off lately, greedy merchants, and greedy landlords (business & residential)! :mad:

And then they'll wonder why no one came or bought anything!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

threads merged

I was in IFSC on the first day and I'm almost positive it was €3 for each cup of mulled wine and a €1 deposit on the mug.

Cheers. I ask cause I'm flying back at the weekend and would like to try out one of the markets. €3 is getting reasonable (considering our excise on wine) and costs of operation...

We all agree the IFSC one is nicer?

Anyone a good recommendation for food there? I'm talking good quality and tasty! Sausages, flamenkuchen, burgers, whatever as long as its good food.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

I went to the Fitz one on Saturday afternoon. No one there, no atmosphere, no music, nothing. A few food stalls. Wasn't expecting much but still. Just depressing! Avoid!

Advertisement