Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

MajorGaming.eu's Minecraft Server

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Not to mention I spent an entire night in a 1x2 hole.

Its not just TNT I need, its flowing lava blocks. Its Mordor I want to make :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

Just a quick post to say I see all the posts and I'll get back to ye later this evening, was working today :)

butbutbut ... my tnttttttt

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 52,036 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

So how do I protect my structures? Also how do I protect my chests? I came back and after only 2 days some one has stolen all the items in my chests I have in my cave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Neph

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    So how do I protect my structures? Also how do I protect my chests? I came back and after only 2 days some one has stolen all the items in my chests I have in my cave.

I think im gonna make a quick tutorial on how to use cuboid because nobody seems to know how. Its actually fairly simple. Remember though that you have to be a mod or have to get a mod to protect your area for you.

EDIT:
    Jumpy wrote: »
    ...I wandered a long way to the north...

....Ok I just realised the one mod were missing on the server.. Borderlands. It limits the range non mod/admins can walk from the spawn point. This would prevent the Epic Journeys we've seen in the past.. That made the world much much bigger. It would also stop people trying to hide stuff really far from the spawn. It's not totally necessary yet but keep in mind if the world gets too large it gets laggier, so we should probably consider this at some point.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭JustAidan

Crism wrote: »
    hey aidan, sorry i dont understand your post.

Oh sorry, the post was a roundabout endorsement of both your willingness to contribute and the proposed site.

Edit:
    Neph wrote: »
    I think im gonna make a quick tutorial on how to use cuboid because nobody seems to know how. Its actually fairly simple. Remember though that you have to be a mod or have to get a mod to protect your area for you.

I have used it myself and it is pretty simple. Most of us would be interested in /protect default "areaname" and /cmod "areaname" delete though I noticed that you can also make some areas indestructible to creepers as well. I plan to try this own on the small arena I built and the area to spawn mobs.

The creeper protection works beautifully, i use it on my house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,433 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Creeper protection?

• Advertisement

You protect the area, creepers cant explode it.

oeb, thanks for the /sethome command. I was worried I wouldnt make it back here.

Creeper protection?

It's part of the cuboid block protection and stops creeper blasts from destroying your stuff

Ok, I've decided to put a forum online for the time being here: http://www.majorgaming.eu/forum
    I think it should make it easier to organise things as one thread really isn't enough as a lot of useful information is going to get lost in all the pages here!!
    If people would like to register there and ask any questions, I'll answer them there.I'll keep monitoring this thread and posting updates but for the more general discussion, I think the new forum would be better :)

Hope this doesn't inconvenience anyone, boards.ie is a brilliant forum but one thread really isn't enough unfortunately :(

Actually i like the idea of having a dedicated forum, and I like how you implented that php script into it so you can see whos online while on the forum. I registered but am getting an error trying to login, if you want I can email you a picture of the error if that helps.

Im curious though, did you create that forum from scratch or does it use an online, service/template?

Neph wrote: »
    Actually i like the idea of having a dedicated forum, and I like how you implented that php script into it so you can see whos online while on the forum. I registered but am getting an error trying to login, if you want I can email you a picture of the error if that helps.

Im curious though, did you create that forum from scratch or does it use an online, service/template?
    Sure, send me on the error, that'd be great.

The forums built on myBB, I'm hosting it myself though ;)

Shall we move all discussion over there from now on?

• Advertisement

JustAidan wrote: »
    Shall we move all discussion over there from now on?
    Yep, should be better and easier ;)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Moving discussion onto another website is a bad idea tbh. I still think main discussion would be better here, as boards.ie games section gets hundreds of unique users every day, and people get interested in playing on the server as a result.

With a website for discussion, it only hinders the servers popularity imo.

Also, I'm terribly hungover

Moving discussion onto another website is a bad idea tbh. I still think main discussion would be better here, as boards.ie games section gets hundreds of unique users every day, and people get interested in playing on the server as a result.

With a website for discussion, it only hinders the servers popularity imo.

Also, I'm terribly hungover
    I understand but it's impossible to post how to's, deal with unban requests, decide on server building etc. all in one thread.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

cian1500ww wrote: »
    I understand but it's impossible to post how to's, deal with unban requests, decide on server building etc. all in one thread.

I know, but we should try to keep main discussion here anyways.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 32 Crism

Just post a topic on boards with a link to the new forum, problem solved.

• Advertisement

Of course, I will continue to keep using this thread, boards is how the server started so it's only right that it's still used. Without boards.ie this server wouldn't exist :)

Just a heads up that I'll be updating the server at 5pm

Server update has been completed, more info here: http://majorgaming.eu/forum/thread-6.html

Personally I think its a much better idea to move the discussions over to the new forum. It's much better than trying to keep a few sparse topics going on boards which are completely unorganised.

It also means we can sticky topics to help new players, have different sections/events and creates more of a community. Plus because of Cian's script you can see who is currently online on the server from the new forum.

We can always advertise the server on boards if we want to, but most of the more private server discussions about rules/protection etc. would be better kept on the new forum.

Since we have a bunch of mods and a lot of stuff is griefer protected, would it would be worthwhile to announce the server over on the official minecraft SMP server list to get more people into the server?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

I agree with Neph, we should move to the new forums...

then again as Cian said, the server exists because of boards...

we could pay tribute to boards by building a huge boards.ie logo...

then move discussions to the forums...

Since we have a bunch of mods and a lot of stuff is griefer protected, would it would be worthwhile to announce the server over on the official minecraft SMP server list to get more people into the server?
    Definetly but I think we need to get everything properly in order before we do. I've posted a thread on the forums here: http://majorgaming.eu/forum/thread-7.html to get some ideas of what we'd write about our server :)

Korvanica wrote: »
    I agree with Neph, we should move to the new forums...

then again as Cian said, the server exists because of boards...

we could pay tribute to boards by building a huge boards.ie logo...

then move discussions to the forums...
    Yeah, what I'm going to do is include a link to this thread on the forum's main page.

Important announcement regarding chest protection: http://majorgaming.eu/forum/thread-8.html

Err, someone has put an awful lot of mob spawners in the lower part of the community mine to block some lava.

They haven't spawned any pigs yet but each one would have spawned 5 pigs each if there was any green grass around. I don't know whether that would have caused the server any problems with so many at once.

Anyway currently breaking them just in case.

• Advertisement

Err, someone has put an awful lot of mob spawners in the lower part of the community mine to block some lava.

They haven't spawned any pigs yet but each one would have spawned 5 pigs each if there was any green grass around. I don't know whether that would have caused the server any problems with so many at once.

Anyway currently breaking them just in case.
    Cheers Aidan, very strange that someone would use mob spawners to block lava :confused::confused:

cian1500ww wrote: »
    Cheers Aidan, very strange that someone would use mob spawners to block lava :confused::confused:

It could have been done in a panic. Rather than be set on fire.

It could have been done in a panic. Rather than be set on fire.

Not really, there was a big long string of them and some used as decorations on the roof in the chest area that was pointed out to me that I had missed.

Got a screen-shot here but its too big to attach.

Edit: admittedly the mob spawners do look like cages without much to let you know their purpose.

Edit2: OK found a load more of them thrown around the place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

aidan just open the screen in paint and decrease the size by 50%... then youll have a forum legit image...

its what i did with my ones..

Korvanica wrote: »
    aidan just open the screen in paint and decrease the size by 50%... then youll have a forum legit image...

its what i did with my ones..

Thanks Korvanica. Attached the image though there was a lot more of these around the place as well, like as decorations and other non-flooding lava sections.

Anyway Jumparound22 I'm guessing from the defensiveness and the fact that only a few people have the item spawning commands (unless there is somewhere to hack a server, no idea) that it was you that placed these, apologies if I am mistaken.

Please remember Jump, that this game is still in Alpha and there are several block types that could cause problems for the game itself. Mob-spawners are only intended to occur in singles and well spaced out and noncollectable by players. I used 4 of them for the pig farm but you had dozens all in close proximity. The spawn item commands give you access to a lot of stuff that otherwise would not be available in a normal game, hence they could cause problems. I'm not sure if it is still possible to access the infinite water/lava blocks but if it is please don't use those since they will literally spread to everywhere below and at their z-level if placed.

Edit: Anyway they are all hopefully broken now. Damn things take 10 seconds to mine through with a diamond pick-axe :(

It wasnt me. I am based about 20 mins walk north of Spawn. I never go back there, and have never spawned mob spawners.

The fact that I can spawn is why I am based so far from home :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭oeb

It wasnt me. I am based about 20 mins walk north of Spawn. I never go back there, and have never spawned mob spawners.

The fact that I can spawn is why I am based so far from home :)

Yup, jumpy is ages away.

That's a problem then as I hoped it had an easy answer :). If it wasn't jumpy then who else is *supposed* to be able to spawn items :confused:? I thought it was just Jumpy and Cian?

I wouldn't imagine that minecraft is very resistant to malicious users attempting to access commands they are not supposed to. Then again its odd that any such user would go out of their way to block lava.

Could someone have spawned a lot of these when the commands were still enabled :(? If so then whoever it is may not even know what the mob spawner blocks even do, as I said they just look like cages.

Anyway hopefully we don't see any massive buildings built of them on the surface, we'll be inundated with piggies :P.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭Kersmash

Fúcking creepers :(

• Advertisement

Kersmash wrote: »
    Fúcking creepers :(

Lol, out of the blue and completely appropriate:D

That's a problem then as I hoped it had an easy answer :). If it wasn't jumpy then who else is *supposed* to be able to spawn items :confused:? I thought it was just Jumpy and Cian?

I wouldn't imagine that minecraft is very resistant to malicious users attempting to access commands they are not supposed to. Then again its odd that any such user would go out of their way to block lava.

Could someone have spawned a lot of these when the commands were still enabled :(? If so then whoever it is may not even know what the mob spawner blocks even do, as I said they just look like cages.

Anyway hopefully we don't see any massive buildings built of them on the surface, we'll be inundated with piggies :P.

Every regular used to have it at the start, back when it was /give. It wasnt until he installed the new mods that it was taken away. People just didnt know how to use it.

Can we get another map done? I would love to see what my area looks like now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

Do you guys use any kind of voip or just the chat?

Every regular used to have it at the start, back when it was /give. It wasnt until he installed the new mods that it was taken away. People just didnt know how to use it.

Ah that would be it then.

Seconding the second map, I could do a flat image of it but may have trouble rendering the isometric one.

At Stercus: There is a teamspeak server set up a little bit ago but hasn't seen much use yet. Going to start using it myself.

Can we get another map done? I would love to see what my area looks like now.

Ask Cian to stick a copy up on the server and I will render it.

I would prefer to wait a day or so till I finish my monster though.

• Advertisement

oeb wrote: »
    Ask Cian to stick a copy up on the server and I will render it.

I would prefer to wait a day or so till I finish my monster though.

You have a monster? As in a large statue thing? Whereabouts is it?

You have a monster? As in a large statue thing? Whereabouts is it?

It's just two legs at the moment, only started last night. It's right behind pikachu, it will be visible from spawn (Being that it will be about 3x the height of pikachu when it's done.)

It's just two legs at the moment, only started last night. It's right behind pikachu, it will be visible from spawn (Being that it will be about 3x the height of pikachu when it's done.)

Sounds cool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭Kersmash

Lol, out of the blue and completely appropriate:D

I swear to christ, I'm building a wee log cabin by the water by pikachu and there was one of em near by, ended up chasing me and i ran into a pack of 3 of them. Did not end well.

Also, i was at the tree farm, hapy out, choppin' and plantin' away to my hearts content, next thing "HIIIIIIIIIIIIISSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS", took a while to repair the damage.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 52,036 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

3x? just a word of warning before you start. the top of pikachus head goes to the just before the cloud level and above cloud level there's maybe only about 10-15 blocks before you hit the ceiling limit so you can only really build things a little higher than the ceiling level. If you see the floating island that's really high, that's about as far as you can go.

• Advertisement
Advertisement