Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Digiweb modem wired connection troubles

• 26-11-2010 3:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 426 ✭✭

can anyone help? ive a bran new hp pavilion dv6, when i connect my digiweb modem to the laptop it cant connect to the internet? the modem works fine with another 2 computers but just wont with this one.

when i run the trouble shooter all i get is a message saying the following,

"Local area connection" dosen't have a valid IP Configuration

anyone any ideas on whats wrong?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭bhickey

dazdrog wrote: »
    anyone any ideas on whats wrong?

Probably your "Local area connection" doesn't have a valid IP Configuration? Assuming that you've connected the ethernet cable from the router to the PC, then make sure that your PC's LAN connection obtains its IP details automatically according to the instructions here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 426 ✭✭dazdrog

tried all that already with no avail

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭bhickey

Are the LAN connections on the other 2 machines setup the same way?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Is it a DSL Modem /Router or some other Digiweb service?

got it sorted, just needed reboot the modem each time i change the ethernet cable from computer to computer

its metro home

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Why not buy a cable router and connect it to the modem,run all your computers wirelessly then. Something like this is what you need http://cgi.ebay.ie/NEW-TP-LINK-WIRELESS-N-BROADBAND-CABLE-ROUTER-300MBPS-/220681772536?pt=UK_Computing_Networking_SM&hash=item3361a89df8

thats the plan my friend, but this way will have to do for a week ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

You can get suitable ethernet routers under €50

In the main street.

no need for eBay.

Without it you have no Firewall. The Windows built in Firewall is just an annoyance.

you don't need to pay a premium for Wireless N. 802.11g is fine. Just avoid a model with ADSL modem built in, they usually are not able to work as routers without a phone line.

It should have a 5th ethernet WAN port that you connect to Digiweb Modem. If you read UPC threads you will see it's actually GOOD that Digiweb DON'T include a router.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

watty wrote: »
    You can get suitable ethernet routers under €50

In the main street.

no need for eBay.

Without it you have no Firewall. The Windows built in Firewall is just an annoyance.

you don't need to pay a premium for Wireless N. 802.11g is fine. Just avoid a model with ADSL modem built in, they usually are not able to work as routers without a phone line.

It should have a 5th ethernet WAN port that you connect to Digiweb Modem. If you read UPC threads you will see it's actually GOOD that Digiweb DON'T include a router.

I just put the eBay link in as an example for what the op needs-you can buy a decent one in Tescos now.PC World up North has a wireless N router for half the price of what they are here,but as you say it's not necessary.

Advertisement