Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weather warning / Road Condition thread 2010 / 2011

Options
  • 26-11-2010 3:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭

Since it looks like the snow is on the way this weekend i thought it would be good to have this thread back this year for all road/weather warnings ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

A nice dusting of snow in letterkenny

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Yep, roads and footpaths all frozen over as well so dangerous for anyone out there tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭reiger

any idea what the weather is like round glenties heading over that way in the morning

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

reiger wrote: »
    any idea what the weather is like round glenties heading over that way in the morning

According to a few fella's i was speaking to who are over there for the rally its freezing hard! a few hail showers, that are then freezing too, no snow yet, i think.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Heading through the gap early a.m. Anyone who's through there early or drumkeen direction throw a post on here and let me know what it's like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭reiger

According to a few fella's i was speaking to who are over there for the rally its freezing hard! a few hail showers, that are then freezing too, no snow yet, i think.

cheers for that it ill be slippy around the stages in the morning so.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,095 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Its a white twin towns now. Nothing major, just a dusting of snow at lower levels but its freezing hard so that wont help. Main roads out of the towns have been treated.

Just heard from a friend Raphoe Convoy road is treacherous, I'm just in from the Kernans there now, my road isn't slippery at all just yet, good dusting of snow hail but its not slippery, still 2 degrees here too so fingers crossed it stays like this but i doubt it :o
    reiger wrote: »
    cheers for that it ill be slippy around the stages in the morning so.

I hear its snowing hard there now, they are trying to find a plow gritter to do a few runs of the stages in the morning, if your going leave in plenty of time ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭inode

just drove to lifford and back. Roads are fine, was down the back road to St.Johnson too, pretty slippy there lucky i got the snow tyres on ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭Durnish

any word on Meenaroy Hill, L'kenny to Finntown?

• Advertisement

There was a lorry stuck there this morning, heard its supposed to be pretty bad but its probably been treated by this stage

Just in letterkenny. Road thru gap ok. Scattered light snow showers. Now on to the capital. Then Derry. Phew

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

Gonna try to pop into strabane later around 7 from letterkenny. if anyone is on the road before then lemee know what its like.

Beanstalk wrote: »
    Gonna try to pop into strabane later around 7 from letterkenny. if anyone is on the road before then lemee know what its like.
    The national primary roads should be fine barring a heavy shower around the time you would be traveling.

The major roads are all fine, I was out as far as the roundabout with the Derry road earlier and it was perfectly fine. As long as you dont leave it too late and give it a chance to freeze then you'll be fine

Sitting here the the Beech Hill Hotel in Derry in front of a roaring fire with a pint.

P.S Roads were fine on the way up.

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭shiibata

irish1967 wrote: »
    Sitting here the the Beech Hill Hotel in Derry in front of a roaring fire with a pint.

Hope there not as much snow in Derry, the wee fellow is running in the All-Irelands tomorrow in Gransha, considering skis/skates for him instead of spikes:)

Snowing heavy in the twin towns area now.

Yeah it was snowing heavy in letterkenny there too. It lay on the roads but hopefully will clear up.

Same in Letterkenny, heavy snow for an hour, roads are totally white and cars are struggling to go uphill

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭shiibata

Just heard on Highland, the road is impassable between Letterkenny and Ballybofey, well, were leaving work early here now and were gonna try it:D

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭PattheMetaller

Light dusting of snow in Ramelton. Cars managing fine on all the uphill exits from the town :cool:

any news on the lifford road? think i'll have to give it a miss tonight.

Beanstalk wrote: »
    any news on the lifford road? think i'll have to give it a miss tonight.
    Just when I said "barring a heavy shower" it has to go and just do that.

No idea if that shower has went in the Ltterkenny - Lifford direction or not but we had about 2" here and worse again I was watching the rugby on Setanta and the bloody signal has gone completely :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭inode

just after driving from the Mountain top to the dry arch and back. Cars sliding off the road in all directions.

Just got back to the house now up the mountain top and the salters have been out and the main roads are very drive-able (with care).

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Saabster

What are the roads like? Have to drive to Donegal town tomorrow - is the N15 ok?

Just in the door myself here,

Roads are now Very Very bad, N13 is very slippery, between Burt and newtown is seriously bad, just about got home from glenties, the rally that wasn't a rally (first car went half a mile into the stage then went off so the organizers decided to cancel it :rolleyes:) decided to go the ballybofey way home as opposed to brenagh and the road was Virtually unpassable, vans + jeeps towing rallycars home not able to make it up the hills before you come into Cloughan....

Long Story short Don't go out unless you need to :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭theblueirish

Strabane and Lifford is ok on the main roads but estates are bad, Lifford to Ballinlecky is ok so far but it wouldn't take much snow fall to make it bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,400 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Just in letterkenny. Road thru gap ok. Scattered light snow showers. Now on to the capital. Then Derry. Phew

You drove from Letterkenny to Dublin and then to Derry in 4.5 hours :confused:

• Advertisement

Dublin ain't the capital around here bud. :D

Advertisement