Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weather warning / Road Condition thread 2010 / 2011

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭minichunkies

Have heard it's thick in LK now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭inode

yeah its coming down really heavy, i only parked up 20 mins ago and my car is white again :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 46,095 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Snowing very heavy now in the twin towns area. I had a spin (no pun intended) around the town and the traffic jam has cleared now, main roads are passable with extra care, footpaths are reasonable as the snow hasnt frozen yet so there is a bit of a grip underfoot but the streets are white again with the last heavy shower.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

The same in Lifford/Strabane over the past couple of hours. Heavy snow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭bohsboy

NIMAN wrote: »
    The amount of salt and grit in Donegal is a joke.

We all pay our road tax like the rest of the country, yet the majority is saved for the Dubs to keep their roads open and safe.

Time something was done about this county. We have too many people living off main roads and we need to have a serious snow/ice strategy for the future.

Not sure I agree, the county is so spread out with miles upon miles of back roads with little traffic on some of them. It could be seen as a waste gritting a lot of smaller roads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭beansybeansy

Anyone know what Dungloe and Gweedore are like? Not sure whether to drive up home from Dublin this afternoon. Thanks in advance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭inode

chatting to someone from gweedore there a minute ago. he says it isnt too bad down there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Another very heavy shower here now in Donegal Town... showers are definately getting heavier as the day goes on... every 30mins now and lasting for about 15mins a time. Must check depth when this one finished.
    13:30
    74af524f.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Really bad in Letterkenny now, just walked back from college, cars getting stuck on Port Road & High Road, traffic almost at a standstill everywhere.

There was an avalanche off a roof on Port Road as well near the theatre which could have been very dangerous. A lot of snow came down but luckily nobody was under it

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

How are the main roads them selfs around donegal town, and the mountcharles bypass? Heard some couldn't even get up it earlier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

Harps wrote: »
    Really bad in Letterkenny now, just walked back from college, cars getting stuck on Port Road & High Road, traffic almost at a standstill everywhere.

There was an avalanche off a roof on Port Road as well near the theatre which could have been very dangerous. A lot of snow came down but luckily nobody was under it

was that the XL shop down near the ice cream place? i was just about to walk under that when it happened.

If people are walking through car parks and that watch its ver hard to see where the footpath ends and the road starts.

Yeah I wasnt far from it either, was just crossing the traffic lights by Mr Chippie when I saw it

An yeah very true about the footpaths, happened to me a couple of times where I stepped on the edge between the road and kerb, could easily twist your ankle

Rumour gap is closed... any truth?

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭hootietootie

If anyone needs it I have a malamute and sled!! Don'/t drive so walking everywhere anyways, but its really bad out-just in from taking my daughter round on the sled, with the dog pulling, had a few people stop us for photos!!(And me with no makeup on:D)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭henke

irish-stew wrote: »
    How are the main roads them selfs around donegal town, and the mountcharles bypass? Heard some couldn't even get up it earlier.
    They were ok when I passed that way about 1 or so. You have to take it very easy just and you can get up Mountcharles bypass no problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

If anyone needs it I have a malamute and sled!! Don'/t drive so walking everywhere anyways, but its really bad out-just in from taking my daughter round on the sled, with the dog pulling, had a few people stop us for photos!!(And me with no makeup on:D)

haha that sounds class! did you get a pic yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭hootietootie

danniemcq wrote: »
    haha that sounds class! did you get a pic yourself?
    Don't have a pic, but have a couple of videos from the snow a couple of weeks ago! Just a pity I cant leave him outside a shop while I go in, could make a fortune doing deliveries
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23MeTki5NKQ

Radio just reported Dunkineely/Bruckless road partial closed to to stuck lorries. Heaviest snow of the day here now and according to weather.. worse to come this afternoon:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭henke

irish1967 wrote: »
    Rumour gap is closed... any truth?
    Came through jus before lunchtime, around 12.30 and it was passable but had to drive slowly. The gritters were on it with the ploughs clearing snow off the road. I would doubt it is closed unless the snow had really came on heavy there this last while. Letterkenny to Ballybofey road was much worse and just about made it up Lurgybrack after a bit of spinni.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

That's brilliant, looks like great craic - lucky Emily!!!!

It's been dumping down snow all day here too in TT/Killygordon area - easily a few inches. No staff do for me tonight and it doesn't look like Mount Errigal is going to give refunds:mad:

• Advertisement

deemark wrote: »
    That's brilliant, looks like great craic - lucky Emily!!!!

It's been dumping down snow all day here too in TT/Killygordon area - easily a few inches. No staff do for me tonight and it doesn't look like Mount Errigal is going to give refunds:mad:
    Yeah OH's company do just cancelled in Mount Errigal as well:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,203 ✭✭✭crisco10

irish1967 wrote: »
    Yeah OH's company do just cancelled in Mount Errigal as well:mad:

Did Mount Errigal cancel it or was it the company who cancelled? Was going to the ABBA night myself....

Think the company cancelled.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

It's a balls, we were closed today and I'd say less than half the staff will make it, but the money was paid upfront. I had a nice frock too:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 UpDonegal

Looks like this more prolonged spell of snow has started over most of donegal now! Like Artic conditions in Letterkenny last hour now, heavy snow & blizzard, quite strong wind! Whiteout, good few inches!!

:)

Theres no sign of it stopping any time soon either, theres a steady stream of snow over us for at least the next hour

www.raintoday.co.uk

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭puffdragon

It's a balls, we were closed today and I'd say less than half the staff will make it, but the money was paid upfront. I had a nice frock too:mad:

We already have four or five inches here in Castlefinn another bout of snow is going to leave us stranded, looks like the quad again!!,

Sorry to hear about the night out, will they not credit you a night in January some time? They might be glad of the trade.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 bobby14

apparently abba band stuck in england.... ring the mt errigal and check for sure

OH's company got a credit note !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46,095 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I had a nice frock too:mad:
    :eek: I thought you were a man :eek:

Advertisement