Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weather warning / Road Condition thread 2010 / 2011

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭hootietootie

I just got snow in me wellies when I went out in the jammies to take photos for himself-he's in Limerick disgusted that he's missing the fun-he had to leave the day the snow started weeks ago, hasn't made it home yet

• Registered Users Posts: 46,095 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I just got snow in me wellies when I went out in the jammies to take photos
    Pics or it didnt happen ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭mk2

''THE WINTER OF 2010'',history in the making!

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭hootietootie

muffler wrote: »
    Pics or it didnt happen ;)
    No pics of me, I can get you a pic of the wellies though!:p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭doc_17

Crazy stuff here in Stranorlar! Just having a wee pint in Bibas and there are lorries getting stuck outside on the hill all night. Council are after coming and gritting but it's very dangerous here atm

• Advertisement

I had this all cleared this morning but after all the snow this evening I managed to get a path cleared through it a while ago

DSCF0108.jpg

There's some sort of a vehicle below that snow.

DSCF0109.jpg

This pic gives you an idea as to the depth of the snow

DSCF0104.jpg

doc_17 wrote: »
    Just having a wee pint in Bibas
    Lucky $&*;^) :(

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭ttoppcat

shellib wrote: »
    On the bus from Galway to Lk since 1:30 only comin into ballybofey now!!!! Gap didn't seem too bad, from where I'm sittin neway. We are crawling along :-(

Bugger!! Is that the Feda or Bus Eireann bus you were on?

Have to try to get up to Letterkenny from Galway tomorrow. Really really hope me and my wee woman make it as we're not spending xmas at home and this is our only chance to have a nice pre christmas with the family. Will be gutted if we dont make it tomorrow:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

I'm just in the door, had to go head up to Letterkenny (via and home via the GF's home house between newtown / st. johnson) we were in letterkenny at about 7pm, went up the main street and from after the traffic lights till past the cavern was unreal, sheet ice! We came to a standstill a few times and when the car came to a stop near the bottom of church lane, it slid about 3 foot left, i never realized that the main street had such an angle on the tarmac!

Glad to be home now, the front of my car was like a snow plow the amount of snow on the front bumper was unreal when i got home.

P.S. An old car bonnet makes a great sled when you use it in a steep field :P

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

P.S. An old car bonnet makes a great sled when you use it in a steep field :P

Never mind just the bonnet, my whole car was a sled for most of today:D

The gritters have been out at Lurgybrack, so its easily passable at the moment, but more snow over night will put us back to square one in the morning.
    Even though they tell us grit isn't effective on fluffy snow, it was easy to see the line in the road were the gritter had started and the line at the end (just 100 yards pass Lurgybrack school) were they finished.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭AidySevenfold

Absolutely mental...can't believe how deep it is..roads were bad earlier, but more grip on them now..its an inconvience but it does add a bit of scenery :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭inode

took a spin around Letterkenny for 2 hours after working getting some pictures of the snow :D

5270298096_3ba21efb13.jpg

5270296958_acdb0031d4.jpg

5269688909_f6556d8453.jpg

5270306864_6406193b20.jpg

5270318946_9ba1f4f0d3.jpg

View the rest here

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭Durnish

Love the wooden sculpture thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Donegal Town
    db02d7a3.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭lamai

Does anyone what is happening with the Dublin airport to lkenny bus eireann service. Is it closed?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

I heard on the radio the 32 service was cancelled today until further notice.

anyone know the condition of the lifford/letterkenny road at the minute?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭bohsboy

Minus 7 on the car gauge into Donegal Town there, crazy stuff. The main roads are barely passable and there are some lunatics setting up stalls in the Diamond.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭venusdoom

Did they go ahead with the market? Crazy!! we'll be in for more snow by the looks of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭Firblog

byte wrote: »
    Old Laghey Road is quite dodgy. Considering the amount of homes out this way now, I'm surprised I don't see gritter lorries coming out. Even if they came out and gritted Britton's hill (dunno the right name for that wee brae, but it can be quite dodgy during this weather).

Walked down that hill this morning, there is a good mound/supply of grit at the side of that hill near the top if you have a shovel..... ;)

Anyone any word on the Sligo/Donegal Road?

bohsboy wrote: »
    The main roads are barely passable and there are some lunatics setting up stalls in the Diamond.

Prob some mad fools out trying to pay the bills....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭bohsboy

Firblog wrote: »
    Prob some mad fools out trying to pay the bills....

:D
    Not going to sell too much today. Its like a ghost town.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

oh god 12 pubs in 12 inches of snow...

this will be an experience!

Army out now clearing the footpaths in Donegal Town of ice.... well they have the weaponary to do it :eek:

Just back from town. Crazy. Footpaths are ok to walk on except where some people made half arsed attempts to clear them. Put down grit if you are gonna clear them.
    Keep an eye on raintoday.co.uk you'll get advance warning of any snow about to hit

inode wrote: »
    took a spin around Letterkenny for 2 hours after working getting some pictures of the snow :D

5270298096_3ba21efb13.jpg

5270296958_acdb0031d4.jpg

where were these? they are class!

irish1967 wrote: »
    Just back from town. Crazy. Footpaths are ok to walk on except where some people made half arsed attempts to clear them. Put down grit if you are gonna clear them.
    Keep an eye on raintoday.co.uk you'll get advance warning of any snow about to hit

that raintoday is class, you can see a large amount forming now north of Ireland that looks like it come down.

Looks ok for the time being though

Yeah keep an eye on sat24.com as well. Infrared.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭inode

danniemcq wrote: »
    where were these? they are class!

down beside pacificare. Seen some guy out building them on the way home from work at 11.30pm last night

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

has anyone been on the letterkenny/lifford road yet? has it been treated?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭mk2

Was over in lifford earlier its treated with grit,i seen the council boys on the road in a transit pick up i'd say they put extra grit on the corners and hills its manageable at a slow pace didnt pass 60kph

Advertisement