Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weather warning / Road Condition thread 2010 / 2011

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Larrson

These are Good

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

irish1967 wrote: »
    Not often you can stand in the middle of a national primary route and take pics. Main N56 (Donegal Town Bypass 11:00am Sunday 19/12/10)

d299ff86.jpg
    08cdda4b.jpg

The roads in the town are worse.. and remember the last snow we had was Friday.

0cabfcef.jpg
    cefd5a21.jpg
    59f151bb.jpg

biggrin.gif

Be careful out there

• Registered Users Posts: 14,382 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Be careful out there

but is the coillte xmas tree shop open this afternoon ?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Be careful out there

Oh my, gonna be fun getting home for christmas if any fresh stuff falls.

:eek:

but is the coillte xmas tree shop open this afternoon ?
    Think so.. was walking past yesterday and the sign said open until 20th December.:)

• Advertisement

Think so.. was walking past yesterday and the sign said open until 20th December.:)

cool. bobsleigh run to town :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭Durnish

gosh, I remember that we had a proper toboggan when I was child. My parents brought it back from Canada. I remember getting to use in just once, , down a steep slope in a park leading down to the Foyle.

Just the wan time, all those years growing up in L'derry. I reckon we could slide down and right over the Foyle these days, going fast like Chevy Chase.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

went over the lifford road yesterday, absolutely terrible! The worst is the dual carriageway in letterkenny, coming back over it a big bus eireann bus decided to overtake three cars on the lane covered with snow, it was really silly.

are we in line for more snow?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Well it seems they haven't forgotten about us just yet:

Highland Radio » Donegal a priority for salt – NRA

The NRA says Donegal is one of the six counties which will be prioritised when fresh salt supplies arrive in the country this week.
    Speaking after a meeting of the goverment’s emergency taskforce, Sean O’Neill from the National Roads Authority said national supplies of salt were down to 10,000 tonnes, with 2,000 tonnes a day being used.
    He said the Authority is now confident that the new shipments at sea would begin arriving into Cork and Belfast around Wednesday.
    He said the priority counties now are Donegal, Cavan, Monaghan Roscommon, Kerry and Cork.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭North_West_Art

just saw this today... -18 tonight in Donegal according to this

Its not giving snow on the forecast until New Years Eve days according to this

• Advertisement

K-9 wrote: »
    Well it seems they haven't forgotten about us just yet:

lets hope your right !

http://www.oceanfm.ie/article/Conor-Faughnan-of-AA-says-the-East-may-be-given-priorty-to-salt-stocks-/
    Conor Faughnan of AA says the East may be given priorty to salt stocks

Conor Faughnan of AA Roadwatch says there may be an element of truth in the fact that areas in the east are given priority with regards to salt stock while the North West is being ignored.

He says this is an unprecedented spell of weather and it's extremely hard to calculate the amount of salt needed.

Conor Faughnan says fresh stocks of salt will not arrive into the country until Wednesday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

just saw this today... -18 tonight in Donegal according to this

Theres some on the way right now from the north by the looks of it, wont be too much but a few showers likely

www.raintoday.co.uk

just
    saw this today... -18 tonight in Donegal according to this

somone on the weather forum said metcheck temps are pretty inaccurate

this says -3 (somewhere inbetween is prob right :D

http://www.accuweather.com/ukie/forecast.asp?partner=accuweather&traveler=0&postalcode=donegal&metric=1

Its already -10C in Ballybofey so every chance of it being a record breaking night at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

it was -15.5 in tullyrap last night!

-12.7C in Kilygordan and its not even 6pm

The lowest ever recorded in the country is -19.1C so every chance of that being beaten tonight if the current temp is anything to go by

• Registered Users Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭mrmac

Anyone travelled the road from Letterkenny to Buncrana recently?
    Might have to go that way tomorrow, about 9.30am.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭henke

Harps wrote: »
    -12.7C in Kilygordan and its not even 6pm

The lowest ever recorded in the country is -19.1C so every chance of that being beaten tonight if the current temp is anything to go by

Jesus that is cold. Not a night for going anywhere I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Technique

mrmac wrote: »
    Anyone travelled the road from Letterkenny to Buncrana recently?
    Might have to go that way tomorrow, about 9.30am.

Drove from Letterkenny to Bridgend and back today. About an hour each way. Allow for driving at 10-20mph.

The worst bit of the whole road was the dual carriageway just outside Letterkenny.

And some of the overtaking manoeuvres that I witnessed were absolutely crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭bettlebrox

Be careful out there
    Wow, Irish those are some pics, hard to believe a National Road would have so much snow, are they not even ploughing the friggin' thing or just letting the cars wear the snow away?

On another note, cool to see me Mum's house in one of your pics! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭valor

HAs anybody travelled Letterkenny-Dublin? is it mostly fine once you get past Dual Carriageaway/Lifford?

bettlebrox wrote: »
    Wow, Irish those are some pics, hard to believe a National Road would have so much snow, are they not even ploughing the friggin' thing or just letting the cars wear the snow away?

On another note, cool to see me Mum's house in one of your pics! :)

Am surprised at that, was wondering why it cant be atleast plouged to clear so of those tracks down the middle of the road, they look about 6+ inches deep.

Remember trying to get in/out of one of those estates behind the by pass in one of those pics last year, couldn't even walk arcross them with out falling, although drink did play a small part.

:D

Just for comparison this was the same stretch of road at 2pm yesterday ( Saturday )
    a71b1892.jpg
    d8ae9443.jpg

Just for comparison this was the same stretch of road at 2pm yesterday ( Saturday )

Please dont snow between now and christmas...

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭bettlebrox

Be careful out there
    irish-stew wrote: »
    Please dont snow between now and christmas...

I agree, this caddie's gotta drive down home from Dublin to Donegal Town on Wednesday morning after me flight from Amerikay. Reckon I'll be taking the N4 as it's a good national route that should be relatively clear.

bettlebrox wrote: »
    I agree, this caddie's gotta drive down home from Dublin to Donegal Town on Wednesday morning after me flight from Amerikay. Reckon I'll be taking the N4 as it's a good national route that should be relatively clear.

Not sure about the rest of it but duel carriage way from Collooney is one lane only.

Thankfully I only have to come from Sligo. have no idea what road from there onwards is though, I hear around Bundoran is not great

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭jonnygee

I have to go from Buncrana to Sligo and back early Thursday morning, if the salt runs out before then I see big problems. (probably even if it doesnt.)

jonnygee wrote: »
    I have to go from Buncrana to Sligo and back early Thursday morning, if the salt runs out before then I see big problems. (probably even if it doesnt.)

Its already being rationed. Fresh stock due on wednesday, with Donegal being nominated as one of the countys being as priorty to receive fresh supply.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,203 ✭✭✭crisco10

valor wrote: »
    HAs anybody travelled Letterkenny-Dublin? is it mostly fine once you get past Dual Carriageaway/Lifford?

Did it on Saturday morning. took 3 hours to get to Monaghan town. average speed of 37kph! but then did normal speed on clear roads. was in dublin in 5 hours overall. that said, snowing in dublin tonight so you could be looking closer to 6 or 7 hours if the roads thru monaghan and louth are snowy/icy.

• Advertisement

Castlederg just across the border has broken the record for the lowest temperature ever recorded in NI, -17.7C at the moment

Not sure what Kilygordan is, cant seem to access the NRA website

Advertisement