Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weather warning / Road Condition thread 2010 / 2011

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

Jeez I’m amazed the council are actually doing something. In Letterkenny JCB going down main street taking all the snow and ice off the main road then there is a gritter just behind it and lastly 2 lads on a cherry picker cutting down all the icicles!

Fair play for a change! But god help anyone trying to have a nice cozy sleep in if they live on main street!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 cranfordmike

I drove from LK to Dub yesterday. The roads from Strabane to Dub were fine to drive on, seemed well treated. Lifford to LK is a different story, roads are not treated....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Domscard

I see that Dublin is currently getting a snow-pasting. I wonder if we will ever see our priority salt from the NRA now :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭donegalgirl28

I've to drive to the Milford Inn on Saturday from Dungloe for my Christmas dinner, do you reckon it's worth ditching the hotel dinner and just staying at home making our own?

If you have a 4WD and winter tyres it might be worth a chance - MIGHT. If not, start rattling those pots and pans ;)

• Advertisement

My father has a Ford Ranger, so it's a 4-wheel drive but hasn't got winter tyres, although his tyres are blooming massive and scary looking! I told him I wanted to cook the dinner but he was insisting on going to the hotel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭Noreen1

Well, If you end up stuck along the road, he might not get any dinner!
    Ask him how bad he thinks your cooking can actually get.:D:D (only joking).

Personally, unless road conditions improve, I wouldn't risk it - but it's up to you.

Noreen

I agree with Noreen - not worth it for a dinner.
    Also, if you look at the Motoring forum and a few other posts here, without the winter tyres there are many 4WD vehicles getting stuck in the snow and ice. Believe me, they're worth it - I am so glad we have them for the peace of mind, although we won't be traveling anywhere we don't have to until a major thaw happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

oh tip for anyone with frozen water (like me...again!) to flush your loo melt snow and you can use that melt water to fill the tank.

be warned though it will take quite a few saucepans of water to do this as there is feck all water in snow!

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭PattheMetaller

Domscard wrote: »
    I agree with Noreen - not worth it for a dinner.
    Also, if you look at the Motoring forum and a few other posts here, without the winter tyres there are many 4WD vehicles getting stuck in the snow and ice. Believe me, they're worth it - I am so glad we have them for the peace of mind, although we won't be traveling anywhere we don't have to until a major thaw happens.

Remember though, if you do chance it in the 4x4, the laws of physics still apply, so don't get too over confident and end up in the ditch!!

A lunatic passed me and two other cars in his X-Trail yesterday just on the Letterkenny side of the Silver Tassie. He was flying it and waltzing a good bit; the idiot could have caused a pile up!!

• Advertisement

Remember though, if you do chance it in the 4x4, the laws of physics still apply, so don't get too over confident and end up in the ditch!!

A lunatic passed me and two other cars in his X-Trail yesterday just on the Letterkenny side of the Silver Tassie. He was flying it and waltzing a good bit; the idiot could have caused a pile up!!

Don't have a 4x4, Pat - just the winter tyres ;)
    Oh ... there's a car above them too :D

• Registered Users Posts: 46,095 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Guys/gals - we are straying a bit here by talking about tyres. Theres another thread for that so can we keep this thread free for the weather/road conditions topic please.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭chordtype

Road between Raphoe and Convoy was really bad, almost impassable earlier today and it's probably worse now. Quite a few people are having trouble on it with some spinning out of control. If you can't avoid traveling on it then be very careful as it's treacherous and coming out of Raphoe there is quite a few sharp turns and steep drops.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,534 ✭✭✭jaffa20

I drove from LK to Dub yesterday. The roads from Strabane to Dub were fine to drive on, seemed well treated. Lifford to LK is a different story, roads are not treated....

Do you mind me asking what route you took? I have to get to Ballybofey from Dublin on thursday. Might take the bus but don't wanna be stuck on one for 8 hours or something!!

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭PattheMetaller

Drove from Letterkenny to Ramelton there about an hour ago. Take it very easy as some of the wheel tracks have little mounds of compacted snow in them which can cause a bit of sideways movement. Just don't over compensate with the steering wheel :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭henke

Has anyone been over meenaroy recently or know what the roads are like that way?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Not good but passable I've heard, I have to go that way tomorrow and not really looking forward to it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭henke

Yeah same as, I can possibly leave it to Thursday but at the minute there is nothing to indicate it will be any better Thursday

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭jonnygee

jonnygee wrote: »
    I have to go from Buncrana to Sligo and back early Thursday morning, if the salt runs out before then I see big problems. (probably even if it doesnt.)

I dont have to go now, relieved to say the least.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭Firblog

Ordered stuff online that should have been here last week. Went to track it down today. With UTI in Dublin, for the last FIVE days... Seemingly access to Donegal is impossible.. no way delivery will take place before Christmas... Told them that i'm still getting bills from Dublin, so would be grateful if they'd just go an post it to me...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭lulubenny

Has anyone been over meenaroy recently or know what the roads are like that way?

It's not great but very passable. I found the worst part of that road was between LK and Churchill junction and watch out for the roundabout at the GAA pitch (think it might the Ballymacool roundabout), it was really really slippy. Also the corners just after the Meenaroy hill are pretty bad too. I'm not the best driver in this weather so if I can manage it, then it should be no problem for you!

A trip from Stranorlar to Letterkenny and back again earlier today

DSCF0158_1.jpg

DSCF0160.jpg

DSCF0164_1.jpg

DSCF0173.jpg

DSCF0175.jpg

DSCF0181.jpg

DSCF0183.jpg

DSCF0186.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭irlpic

Road and air temps @ 4.20 this morning -

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 evolve

@ 9am according to NRA website N15 Killygordon
    Road -8.8°C Air -12.6°C

Oh god, dreading getting the bus later to Letterkenny. Anyone know if the Letterkenny - Dungloe road via Fintown and Dochary is alright? Checked the DonegalCC website and they said the Letterkenny to Fintown was first priority in being gritted/salted but the salt hasn't arrived yet has it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Day 5 after the last snow and here is the main N56 Donegal Town bypass

f288621b.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭Miss Fluff

Made it from Dublin to Donegal yesterday evening - phew! Roads really bad on the outskirts of Dublin but a clear enough run then until we got to Ballyshannon and from there conditions were atrocious. Road to Killybegs like glass, car thermometer said minus ten. Wishing everyone a safe trip home, buses are running so people should definitely consider it as an option!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,382 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

those roads look lethal cant beleive they are still like that after 5 days, its ok on winter tyres mind !

+1 take real care out there on those road

Miss Fluff wrote: »
    Made it from Dublin to Donegal yesterday evening - phew! Roads really bad on the outskirts of Dublin but a clear enough run then until we got to Ballyshannon and from there conditions were atrocious. Road to Killybegs like glass, car thermometer said minus ten. Wishing everyone a safe trip home, buses are running so people should definitely consider it as an option!
    What route did you take?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭Miss Fluff

Fast road/Cavan/Derrylin/Enniskillen/Ballyshannon. The roads were awful in Dublin and outside and it was pretty heavy going but the motorway and much of Cavan was fine, only got bad again after Enniskillen. Around Donegal town (and especially the bypass as shown in the photos in previous posts) is really very dangerous indeed....God Bless Bus Eireann drivers and taxi men!

Advertisement