Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weather warning / Road Condition thread 2010 / 2011

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭irlpic

This is the main southern approach road into Letterkenny from the Stranorlar direction. Its been like this all week. As for the temperature ... Elvis was way off the mark ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

Firblog wrote: »
    What is the story with LK main street? Was talking to Courier who's delivering a parcel to me, he says that it has taken him 2.5hrs to get from top of mainstreet down to northwest computers... (they were closed when he got there of course) Is the traffic/road conditions that bad?

Friend is supposed to be going to inlaws in LK tomorrow, driving a Safira? Opel? bad on the snow an ice.. should he chance it?

yeah i started a thread warning about that, there seemed to be lorry that thought he could make the turn at the bottom of the town (wee road from garys pet world to the dry cleaners) and couldn't get round and ended up on footpath not able to move. whole town was jammed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭M.Pool

Brilliant video irlpic. It took my sister an hour to get from Letterkenny to Stranorlar today, now I can see why!

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Biglad

That spokes person guy from the NRA should whatch that video, stick it in his pipe and smoke it. This nonsense about praise for all the local councils etc. I'm sure the people behind the wheel of the gritters only carry out what they are told to do and I respect the amount of hours they put in, but in general the people that make the decisions have no idea what they are at. That Lurgy Brack should have been attended to from the first flake falling. Brush, Plough and Salt, over and over again, that's the only way. Look at the state of that road, rediculous.

Not to talk about the rest of the roads around here that are like a bottle, dusted with a bit of sand which lasts about 10 cars. Just watch when the temperatures start rising a little bit, things will get even worse as the roads will become far more slippery yet. Watch out for that shine of the road, once they become like that they are lethal, even with winter tyres on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 sinead266

Has anyone any news of the conditions on the Muff-Moville road?

Derry to quigleys point has been gritted but from there to moville its bad enough, i had to do 20mph just took me ages to get home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

For those who don't follow the weather forum. There is a chance according to a computer model that we could have snow today (Christmas Eve). nothing set in stone but worth keeping an eye on. North county most at risk but whole county could be effected. May not happen at all but forecast to slide southwards from west of Scotland. Keep a wee eye on raintoday.co.uk before taking a trip out.

http://91.121.84.31/modeles/gfs/run/gfs-2-18.png?18

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

Brave man this... one handed too :p (cause of the i-phone)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭inode

i was in wet and wild earlier and was chatting to one of the girls who works there and she was telling me they were out skiing up at lough salt.

Donegal could be Europes next ski resort yet ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 cranfordmike

jaffa20 wrote: »
    Do you mind me asking what route you took? I have to get to Ballybofey from Dublin on thursday. Might take the bus but don't wanna be stuck on one for 8 hours or something!!

dublin m1 > get off exit 14 onto link road to n2 > follow n2 all the way to monaghan > emyvale > aughnacloy > omagh > strabane > lifford > LK

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭M.Pool

Made it home from Galway today. Lots of compacted ice on the road still on the south side of the gap. Drove through the thickest fog I've ever seen from Ballyshannon to Donegal town. The road from Milltown - Ballindine - Curry was really awful though, just had to let the car slide when it wanted and hope for the best. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Anyone drive Letterkenny->Lifford today? Heading up tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 UpDonegal

Atrocious conditons expected tomorrow sunday all over donegal !

Severe weather is expected right across the county!

Wet and windy weather, moving across the country from the Atlantic during the day on sunday, will fall as snow or freezing rain for a time. This freezing rain is likely to cause black ice and may cause driving and walking conditions to deteriorate. Evelyn also mentioned on the nine forcast on RTE that blizzard condtions are possible for a time over Donegal with the strong gales! :eek:

Heavy rain in all areas overnight and again at times on Monday, along with a significant snow melt, will lead to flooding.

I guess water mains will also be bursting all over the place in the coming days also along with ESB and telephone lines failing in places too :(

Some really messy weather ahead. I'm glad I don't have to go anywhere!

Take Care Folks !! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Trip from Dublin largely ok today-came via Newry/Armagh as from talking to people, roads in NI tend to be treated better than those in RoI. Lifford-Manorcunningham largely ok now-worst stretch seemed to be around the St Johnston junction. Dual Carriageway should really have had both lanes cleared by now-the overtaking lane is not really usable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭inode

Anyone been on the back of Errigal road today? i have to drive down there tonight..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭ootbitb

radio news said it was open today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Nicoladuff

Is it true...I heard today from a farmer and my coal delivery man that there is more snow on the way next week...I hope to goodness that they are wrong...has anyone else heard that there will be a change in weather ...

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭.17hmr

Nicoladuff wrote: »
    Is it true...I heard today from a farmer and my coal delivery man that there is more snow on the way next week...I hope to goodness that they are wrong...has anyone else heard that there will be a change in weather ...

i heard that too more lovely snow:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

On the weather forum theyre saying that it'll get cold again this day next week but its too far out to have an accurate idea of anything yet. I'd be surprised if theres no more snow though considering January is usually our coldest month

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭donegalgirl28

Oh god no! Thank god i'm in england at the moment where there's rarely any snow!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭ootbitb

Oh god no! Thank god i'm in england at the moment where there's rarely any snow!

I believe they get much more than we do.

• Advertisement

ootbitb wrote: »

they are just better funded

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Deer Hunter DL

if people spent as much time prepairing them selfs for the snow as they do moaning about it they'd be fine , yous don't know how lucky yous are i haven't seen bad snow in Co Donegal yet and i live near the Blue Stacks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭North_West_Art

why were the gritters driving around with the snow plough attachment on the front raised from the road? Wouldn't it make more sense to plough the snow off the road before spreading the salt/grit. I heard someone suggest that there was a fear of damaging the cat's eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭donegalgirl28

ootbitb wrote: »

Well in the east and midlands, I suppose I should have stated I was near Liverpool. They've not got much snow this year at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

why were the gritters driving around with the snow plough attachment on the front raised from the road? Wouldn't it make more sense to plough the snow off the road before spreading the salt/grit. I heard someone suggest that there was a fear of damaging the cat's eyes.

On the few occasions I saw any gritters I noticed that as well. I still have no idea why they took so long to plough even major roads and its quite depressing that yet again nobody seems to be being held accountable over the shambolic response.

Just look at the difference in Britain with the current mess in the North and compare it to the reaction in this country where nobody seems to be at fault for the water problems

Anyway, seems like we're in for more freezing weather next week so time to prepare all over again

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I don't mind a bit of frost etc like we're accustomed to, but hell, not the extreme freezing conditions we have had, or the snow!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Deer Hunter DL

nice little drift there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

Just started snowing very heavily here, hope its not going to hang about!

• Advertisement

Where are you at the minute Homer? Letterkenny?

I can see really Dark clouds rolling in over the mountain top from here in work looks nasty!

Advertisement