Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weather warning / Road Condition thread 2010 / 2011

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

I'm at home here, but it seems to have stopped for the time being, but looking down towards the swilly i can't see heavy rain / sleet / snow it looks to stretch from rathmullen right into Derry, hope its not all snow :(

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Deer Hunter DL

snowing a little in donegal town area now , donegal town was fairly bad with black ice this morning

• Registered Users Posts: 46,095 ✭✭✭✭muffler

A little dusting of snow in the twin towns area a little while ago.

I was driving on a lane this afternoon which was less than a mile from Stranorlar and I couldnt believe it but it was still frozen since the Xmas storm. Lots of ice on the surface of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

footpaths are like an ice rink at the minute

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

danniemcq wrote: »
    footpaths are like an ice rink at the minute
    Get a car :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭.17hmr

smashey wrote: »

and whos to say the roads are going to be any better:D

for a 20ft run to the shop? what do you think i am? a soccer mum in a 4x4?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

danniemcq wrote: »
    for a 20ft run to the shop? what do you think i am? a soccer mum in a 4x4?

Yes! :D

I can just see you know fly down the hill in a pedal 4X4

• Registered Users Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭mrmac

Have you seen this guy walking!?
    Got them big Dumbo headphones on - sure he'd hear nothing when driving!!

:D

On a more serious note: it was feezing in Letterkenny overnight. That, on top, of the small layer of snow we got yesterday evening, will make estates a bit dicey! The main roads should be fine, as I spotted a few lorries out last night spreading salt (looked white?).

mrmac wrote: »
    Have you seen this guy walking!?
    Got them big Dumbo headphones on - sure he'd hear nothing when driving!!

:D

I'm sorry but quality of music is much more important to me than driving ;P

on serious note though the gritters were out this morning but they were out yesterday morning too. while it was raining. which i thought was weird cause all the grit/salt would be washed off

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭inode

snow is getting heavy in Letterkenny at the moment....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭mrmac

Snow had stopped, but back again, even heavier!

picture.php?albumid=1517&pictureid=8412

Snowing fairly heavily now in the twin towns.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Deer Hunter DL

this is something i have been wondering for a while , alot of the time in the snow and ice around donegal town people don't walk on the foot paths they walk in the middle of the road and when you drive towards them they think they have more of a right to be there than the car , so if i think the road is to bad to drive on is it ok if i drive up on the foot path ? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭irlpic

Stranorlar to lk is at its most dangerous this winter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

N15 closed between LK and the Twin Towns because of a jack-knifed lorry according to AA Roadwatch

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭mk2

this is something i have been wondering for a while , alot of the time in the snow and ice around donegal town people don't walk on the foot paths they walk in the middle of the road and when you drive towards them they think they have more of a right to be there than the car , so if i think the road is to bad to drive on is it ok if i drive up on the foot path ? :confused:
    They do have more of a right to be there if you don't think they do,hit one of them see how you get on(don't actually)!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Harps wrote: »
    N15 closed between LK and the Twin Towns because of a jack-knifed lorry according to AA Roadwatch

My OH just drove from Letterkenny. McGroartys Brae had a queue at the bottom to get a run up it. Heavy snow from Letterkenny to Biddys.

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭irlpic

Letterkenny to Stranorlar is now passable with caution.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭muckish

Anyone been out on the Errigal Road today? Want to head for a walk tomorrow and wondering if the road is passable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭PattheMetaller

Letterkenny to Ramelton is dodgy; just drove it about half an hour ago. Also, plenty of black ice on footpaths in Ramelton, so I'd say untreated roads are the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Snowing again in Letterkenny, roads and footpaths here are all white so with freezing later it'll probably be bad in the morning

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Cat82

muckish wrote: »
    Anyone been out on the Errigal Road today? Want to head for a walk tomorrow and wondering if the road is passable.
    We came out after one today and the road was fine. Slush in places but not slippery. The road was slushy from errigal carpark to muckish cut off. Road after that out by glenveagh was clear until termon. Unless it snowed more after that it should be fine tomorrow. Road was very wet though so if it freezes hard tonight it might be dodgey in places.

Moving the above as we dont need multiple threads on the same topic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭dee o gee

The slush has frozen on the footpaths, footpaths around Letterkenny are very slippery! Toilet paper had to be got however but the walk/slide to tesco was a dangerous and slow one!

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Vorenus

Roads in Letterkenny are lethal folks, i had an accident on Kiltoy this evening. No real damage done but very scary nonetheless. Take it easy out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭martic

My wife works in letterkenny and is after getting a call from her father saying letterkenny is in a bad way with snow this morning,anyone from the town with any updates?

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭mk2

Where did that come from ah well plenty salt now!

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭theblueirish

Not Letterkenny but Lifford has a slight dusting of snow. I haven't been out in it yet but it doesn't look too bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭muckish

about 2-3 inches lying and still snowing. Haven't been out and about yet but I'd imagine this will cause mayhem as I don't remember it being forecast! AT least it will keep the canvassers from the doors for another day!

Advertisement