Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weather warning / Road Condition thread 2010 / 2011

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭shiibata

Just back from Letterkenny and unbelievably there is 9 inches of snow here in Cloghan:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

shiibata wrote: »
    Just back from Letterkenny and unbelievably there is 9 inches of snow here in Cloghan:eek:

Was through there earlier on on my way home from Glenties, its was serious bad, the roads had this mornings snow compacted into them! I don't envy you :p

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

Just after coming back from dublin roads around monaghan are wile bad but further north not that bad, if you travelling on bus add 2 hours to your journey planner. And if you driving pack some warm clothes in back and some food just in case you get stuck. It's lookin like that kinda night

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

shiibata wrote: »

9 inches?!

Pic?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

couldn't even get the car out of the driveway never mind to strabane. will stay in and drown my sorrows.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭tatabubbly

Don't even try to pass the blue banks past illistrin outside letterkenny..... My car nearly went off the road so if ya don't have to go anywhere, don't!!!

Well i stopped just outside Cloghan and took a few snaps as i seen that there was a backlog of stuck cars jeeps up ahead i know i wasn't going anywhere, these were taken at about 5ish.... its not 9inches deep but it did start to snow heavily as we started moving again....

Click the photos to see larger....

5212709720_749b7413b9_z.jpg

5212176477_ba9c56d3d8_z.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 46,095 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Saabster wrote: »
    What are the roads like? Have to drive to Donegal town tomorrow - is the N15 ok?
    The main routes should be okay but keep the radio turned on and listen for weather and road reports and just beware of heavy showers.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭Durnish

Well, the Belfast /Glenties trip went ahead. Safe return. I didn't go as I was ascairt. They left Glenties at 4 p.m. and seem to have escaped the snowfall, thru' Laghy to Pettigo. Worst bit was from Ballygawley to Lisburn.

Sorry about yr rally, Homer, although it doesn't surprise me. Friends' car slid/rotated down a hill into Portnoo last new year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Ok. Have to leave Derry at 1pm for Donegal Town. Which way. Via Lifford or via letterkenny ??

• Advertisement

Reading on aa roadwatch the gap is impassable. Anyone confirm???

According to the NRA weather station its -7.1 in Killygordon just now

For anyone who hasnt seen the NRA data before, they have several stations in Donegal which are indicated by the green dots on the map when you zoom in. Just click on the dots to get data.

Alternatively you can just view the data here

irish1967 wrote: »
    Reading on aa roadwatch the gap is impassable. Anyone confirm???
    Sorry, haven't heard anything but I do know that the gritters and snow ploughs are out

Heavy snow in Derry now. Heading your way Muffler

Raintoday.co.uk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=096W6lsmuiY

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

Snowing heavy in letterkenny now, that with the freezing temps doesn't bode well for the rest of the week!

P.s. @irish1967 Beech Hill is lovely. Went there for a function earlier in the year, hard to find but really nice house.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭GoldenGreen

i find this site very very good for weather forcast

http://www.accuweather.com/ukie/index.asp

just type in your town eg letterkenny.

the best bit is the hourly prediction, it usually is right on the money

The site Irish1967 posted is the best I've come across for live updates, its always reliable for and accurate for snow down to the minute

Also, the weather is ridiculous in Letterkenny right now, absolutely bucketing down for the past 40 minutes and still going, never seen such heavy snow and the roads seem to be coming to a standstill again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Essexboy

muffler wrote: »
    For anyone who hasnt seen the NRA data before, they have several stations in Donegal which are indicated by the green dots on the map when you zoom in. Just click on the dots to get data.

Alternatively you can just view the data here

This is good but I found an error for Donegal.
    The map at http://www.nratraffic.ie/default.asp?mainmapzoom=yes&x=273&y=94&MapId=7146&RegionId=0&ZoomId= shows an image on the N15 (around Barnesmore Gap?) but the link is to a station on the M7 in Kildare!
    I emailed the NRA to correct it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭Trish2007

Anyone have an update on Barnesmore Gap.

• Advertisement

Ok. Back in donegal town. Derry has way more snow than here. Gap ok. Castlefin to Stranolar is very bad. Avoid this stretch. Pure white road.

This site shows the routes the council will be gritting daily. Scroll down and click on the road links for maps and then down to the bottom of the page for links to Letterkenny and Buncrana Town routes

Yip its cold -8 here when i got out of the car 15 mins ago, and its only 9pm :(

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭rushnaldo

Cant remember now where we bought it I think it was Watson hire in Donegal but the fan heater in the attic which you plug in and it only turns on when its thermostat detects its below zero is a great job. Could save you a fortune in bust pipe damage. Saves having the heating on esp if the house is vacant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 email

Can anyone tell me what the road from Termon round the back of Errigal is like today

Not heard anything but at a guess I cant imagine its in a good state, my street in Letterkenny is impassable and the Fintown - Doochary Road is blocked so by logic I'd say out there will be even worse

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭henke

Hi

Does anyone know what barnesmore gap is like today? Trying to get from Donegal town to LK.

Cheers

Should be grand.. its always given a lot of attention. passed thru it yesterday about 3pm and it was fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭henke

irish1967 wrote: »
    Should be grand.. its always given a lot of attention. passed thru it yesterday about 3pm and it was fine.

ok cheers think il go for it.

• Advertisement

It was on Highland earlier that its fine but to be cautious as its still a bit icy

Advertisement