Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weather warning / Road Condition thread 2010 / 2011

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 email

Thanks for that. Might have to stay in L.kenny tonight!!

• Registered Users Posts: 46,095 ✭✭✭✭muffler

We're trying to keep these queries within a single thread so I've merged the most recent thread with this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

My street was gritted an hour ago yet its still like an ice rink, a car just slid into a wall across the street and its impossible to walk on.

So yeah, grit doesnt necessarily mean its safe to drive on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭inode

the main roads in letterkenny we're gritted around 5pm, from what customers have been telling me the main roads are fine but all the back roads are lethal.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

From Ocean FM...
    Grit available to members of the public from the Council

Members of the public are being advised that grit is available through Donegal County Council.
    The Local Authority has grit but not salt available which people can use to spread on their pavements and route ways.
    People will need to contact their local depot’s to avail of the supplies.
    However members of the public are being asked to contacts the service providers during office hours.
    The Local Authority has over 24 routes covering 1200km of roads to salt around the county.

any idea on a phone number? And do we have to collect or will they deliver?

EDIT: Just rang council roads service and they said... oh no.. thats wrong we aint doing that !

• Advertisement

Think it's bad here? In New York they have 2 feet of snow............

image0011_2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Heavy snow on the Lifford/Letterkenny road around Rosgier and Ballinalecky, Raphoe area as well.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

Snowing very very heavy here for the last 40 mins between Newtown and Manor, a good few inches have just fallen, since i parked my car up an hour ago!!!

Bloody snow :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

Same in letterkenny but was only for about 20mins, stopped now. Roads covered again though. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭hootietootie

Beanstalk wrote: »
    Same in letterkenny but was only for about 20mins, stopped now. Roads covered again though. :(
    Started very heavy here again!!!! Big big snowflakes!!!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

Bloody snow :mad:

can't be a good sign

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Domscard

danniemcq wrote: »
    can't be a good sign

He must have been wielding that hatchet from his avator ...
    But I agree with his sentiments exactly - sick of the sight of all this white stuff :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

/me sings...

Walking in a winter wonderland

/gets coat :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Domscard

smashey wrote: »

/gets coat :D

Very necessary at this time - figuratively and otherwise.

Bah Humbug :D

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Anyone driven from Dublin to Donegal or vice versa today? Supposed to be heading up tomorrow but the news is saying that Slane & Collon are impassable, but then Bus Eireann says that the Letterkenny express is still running with some delays? Is it taking a detour up the motorway as far as Ardee? Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Deer Hunter DL

Dublin is CLOSED to further notice !

Dublin is CLOSED to further notice !

I know, but I don't want in, I want out :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Anyone driven from Dublin to Donegal or vice versa today? Supposed to be heading up tomorrow but the news is saying that Slane & Collon are impassable, but then Bus Eireann says that the Letterkenny express is still running with some delays? Is it taking a detour up the motorway as far as Ardee? Any ideas?

A friend of mine came up yesterday evening on the bus, took longer than usual but he said it wasnt too bad. Obviously going to be a lot worse now but I think once you get out of the east coast it shouldnt be too bad. Theres been quite a bit of snow here today as well but the main roads all seem to be fine

Harps wrote: »
    A friend of mine came up yesterday evening on the bus, took longer than usual but he said it wasnt too bad. Obviously going to be a lot worse now but I think once you get out of the east coast it shouldnt be too bad. Theres been quite a bit of snow here today as well but the main roads all seem to be fine

Yep, seems to be once you get out of Louth/Meath it's fine. It's still snowing like crazy here though. Suppose I'll just have to wait and see what's what in the morning. Thanks guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Vinegar Hill

I am hearing that there is heavy snow forecast for tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

I am hearing that there is heavy snow forecast for tonight.

Yeah we could see some snow tonight again, but its supossed to rain / sleet tomorrow, but the east is supposed to get hit hard tomorrow again so expect the country to close again (like the news the last 2 days when dublin was hit was all about the snow, but on sat and sun hardly a mention of it when we were hit bad).

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭puffdragon

Yep , here it comes!! as if we hadnt enough info already, here, you can watch it coming in!!

http://www.sat24.com/

You know it only dawned on me that this is the bright thing in the sky every night that I used to mistake for the north star. maybe im wrong!

We'll be well done if that swirly thing top left hand corner heads our way!!

http://www.sat24.com/gb a bit closer.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭puffdragon

Here,s something I noticed over on the weather forum, snip it if you want it being off topic and all but this is amazing!!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056106727

^^^epic^^^

Wow !! Total whiteout here. 2-3 inches on the ground and still snowing !! Stay home folks.

Letterkenny seems to be ok, just walked through town on way to work, roads are all clear bar bits in the middle of the road in a few places, doesn't seem to be affecting anyone to bad if you get/want to get this far

Barnesmore Gap reporting impassable..1 foot of snow. Raining in Killybegs and Dunkineely but mad snow here.

Car was snowless when i went to bed.. heres the roof a few mins ago
    0e95e53c.jpg

^^ wow!

jeez compared to that letterkenny is like a summers day!

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Deer Hunter DL

madness couldn't believe it this morning when i went out to feed the horse, went out for a tour round the backroads of the bluestacks its mental out there

• Advertisement

Its been snowing on and off in the twin towns but appears to have stopped now. Probably about another inch or two on top of what was already here.

Main roads appear to ok but care still needed.

Advertisement