Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weather warning / Road Condition thread 2010 / 2011

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

Snowing heavily in Killygordon now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭mrmac

Getting up the hill was grand, it was at the bottom of it, going around the left hand bend, that was scary!

Snow has stopped again, but it's lying.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭hootietootie

Still snowing in Letterkenny with me!! Its lying outside, but seems to be making the ice slightly less slippy for walking!! I'd say it will be bad later on though!

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Vinegar Hill

deemark wrote: »
    Snowing heavily in Killygordon now.

Gleneely school was open this morning. I had to take the children there because the bus was not running. Now I am worried how I will get them home. Snowing very heavy here.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,095 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Snowing reasonably heavy for the last hour in the twin towns. The roads which had been clear are completely white again. At least there will be a wee bit of a grip for people using the footpaths - for a while anyhow.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Snowing heavily for 2 and a half hours now in Letterkenny, I'd take this any day over the ice. Snow is easy to walk on, its only when it turns to slush and freezes that it gets bad. Hopefully this lies for a few days then melts wuickly by the end of the week

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Just stopped here in Donegal town after nearly 3 and a half hours. everything is white again. TRaffic travelling very slowly even on the bypass

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭AidySevenfold

friend just told me Lurgybrack is closed..
    lorries getting stuck.

not sure how true this is but judging by conditions outside it sounds feasible enough :/

Meenaroy and Errigal Road both closed according to Highland and a lot of back roads are impassible again. Letterkenny doesnt seem to be too bad, the road in my estate is all white but the main roads seem to be moving quite freely

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭North_West_Art

Ballybofey traffic moving slowly out the Donegal road, very slushy and slippery. Glenfin Road very bad, hill roads very difficult to get up

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭minichunkies

Woodlands National School closed.

The 4 schools near the Convent Road closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Vinegar Hill

I just collected the children from Gleneely school. The roads are almost impassible even in my Land Rover. Many cars could not make it up to the school and some tractors are on hand shuttling children down.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Bus Eireann have cancelled the Ballybofey - Strabane buses for the rest of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭theblueirish

Just come to Lifford from Letterkenny, getting worse the closer to Strabane you get.
    I did pass a snowplough heading in the direction of Letterkenny, problem was he had the plough raised :confused::confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

Just come to Lifford from Letterkenny, getting worse the closer to Strabane you get.
    I did pass a snowplough heading in the direction of Letterkenny, problem was he had the plough raised :confused::confused:

They are really only gritter with snow plows attached to the front of them (as far as i know) so was more than likely only gritting the road. I seen a plow in action on the duel carrigeway earlier on and TBH it had no real effect on the road condition whatsoever!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

Anyone taking photos for the photo thread?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭dee o gee

Anyone know how ballyshannon is and the N15 between sligo and ballyshannon? Have to head up there tomorrow morning. :(

fontanalis wrote: »
    Anyone taking photos for the photo thread?

I've taken a few they maybe aren't exactly snow pics but the snow clouds make the sunset the way it is, i'll stick them up over there now in a few mins, here a link to the set on flickr Clicky

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 ugni

Can anyone tell me what donegal town is like this evening? Im passing by that way soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Deer Hunter DL

ugni wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me what donegal town is like this evening? Im passing by that way soon!

its very bad be carefull stay well away from the back roads

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Carrickman

It hasn't snowed down this was since early last week, a lot of ice on the roads though.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭theblueirish

Lifford to Letterkenny easily passable, Derry to Letterkenny the same.
    If anything it seems to be better than yesterday morning.

Theblueirish

More heavy snow in Letterkenny

I can now no longer see where my driveway meets the garden, the kerb has disappeared under a blanket of snow. there are a good 4 inches fell today again :(

Yep same here, absolutely bucketing down in Letterkenny for the past hour, heaviest we've had since last Sunday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 UpDonegal

OMG unreal hewavy snow in Letterkenny. Heaviest snow ive ever seen, whiteout!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Further snow forcast through out the night for parts of Donegal guys as per the BBC website

Select NI from the drop down and use the scroll bar to see the different times. Updates every few hours.

I have been told that its pure ice on the road down to my home place. Might not get home till christmas its self if this continues and the thaw doesn't come.

There was a bit of light snow earlier in the twin towns - nothing at all like yesterdays dump. The footpaths haven't improved any though.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

muffler wrote: »
    nothing at all like yesterdays dump.
    I felt that way today as well. :pac:

• Advertisement

smashey wrote: »
    I felt that way today as well. :pac:
    You're using these so

senokot_tablets.jpg

Advertisement