Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weather warning / Road Condition thread 2010 / 2011

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46,095 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Update: Heavy snow shower now.

Put a wee thermometer out on the window of the shed last night. Looked at it about 9 this morning and it was reading -11. It was -4 just after lunch time and now its currently reading -6 :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭AidySevenfold

It was -14 around 3 am in Ballybofey last nite..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

It was -14 around 3 am in Ballybofey last nite..

Are these road temps or air temps?

Cos if thats air temps...:eek:

According to the NRA weather station below Killygordon the current air temp. is -5.7

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭Firblog

Was -8c when I parked the car there about half an hour ago... but I've bought a ton of anti snow/frost/ice stuff today, so weather should get dramatically warmer very soon...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

muffler wrote: »
    According to the NRA weather station below Killygordon the current air temp. is -5.7

-13.3 at 9 this morning. Brrrrrrrrrr!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Another snow shower now in the twin towns area. Again its not that heavy but everything is white.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭bohsboy

Just drove from Sligo to Donegal Town, minus 6 the whole way but roads are in good shape.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

A few snow showers in Letterkenny throughout the evening but nothing like the heavy ones earlier. My street is still pure white but I its actually better than it was on Sunday, the footpaths are perfectly fine to walk on now with the fresh snow covering the ice sheet

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭demixed

Roads around Inishowen are the worst they've been so far this morning, take care out there folks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭henke

So anyone know is that the last of the snowfall for the week?

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭Durnish

the BBC forecast for tomorrow shows lovely warm colours and magic numbers like 7 and 8, not minus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Domscard

So anyone know is that the last of the snowfall for the week?

The problem is less about further snowfalls at this point and more about the lack of a thaw IMO :( If what we've got (which is still plenty) won't go away, it doesn't much matter if/when it snows again.
    I've seen a few forecasts that suggest there is more to come, unfortunately. This must be a nightmare for anyone trying to do business at the best retail time of the year. I know I have been out shopping only once in the last fortnight and if the thaw forecast for the coming weekend isn't effective enough to make my road safely passable, I'll be saving even more money than I intended. It's an ill wind ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭bohsboy

Durnish wrote: »
    the BBC forecast for tomorrow shows lovely warm colours and magic numbers like 7 and 8, not minus.

Oh bring it on...please. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭puffdragon

Looks like a thaw coming after tomorrow midday , so anyone on back roads or in housing estates can expect plenty of slush for a while, the good thing is it's going to stop freezing at night for a week or more from tomorrow so maybe the baked in ice on the back roads will clear quickly, some years back I remember the melting ice lasted for days and was more dangerous than the snow,but it looks like the temperatures are going up to 8 or 9 degrees for a while even at night so maybe the ice will melt quick.

God knows what condition the poor aul roads will be in after that deep a frost you know the way they always seem to bubble up after a hard frost, well the roads hav'nt had a chance to recover from the last frost so I'd say we're in for some nasty potholes soon .

I wouldn't bother trying to negotiate the slush this weekend either, if your going shopping the following week is sunshine and 7 or 8 degrees from Tuesday or Wednesday on so much better for shopping, Next weekend should also be a boom time for the shops id say, people havn't had a chance to get out yet and it being the last weekend before Christmas and all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Yeah its going to warm up considerabely tomorrow, it'll be up to 10 degrees warmer than the past 2 weeks where temperatures have stayed below freezing even in the middle of the day.

Most roads will be fine within a couple of days but anywhere with deep snow could see it sticking around as its forecast to get colder again next week and potentially even colder than the past 2 weeks later in the month.

oh, God, no. I am going to hibernate.

... or emigrate :(

We had a bit of rain earlier tonight. Thats not going to help especially as its freezing again.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

The main road from Letterkenny to Stranorlar is just one long stretch of ice, the cold ground mean the earlier rain has turned to ice. No gritters in sight, be careful tomorrow morning as more rain is possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭henke

Today was the first morning in a while I woke up to see either no snow or ice on the car and I could just get into it and drive without bringing out water to clear windows and get the frozen doors open.

Hoping the weather now improves and the roads around the county become safer to drive on.

oh, God, I am loving those light green temps on the BBc chart for the next few days.

See that Met Erin chart thing, great idea but the colors are all wrong and difficult to read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Nicoladuff

Hi all

Just found this on the web, it looks as if we are in for another bout of snow...

http://www.accuweather.com/video/700277018001/european-then-you-are-a-freez.asp

wrap up warm!!

Nicoladuff wrote: »
    Hi all

Just found this on the web, it looks as if we are in for another bout of snow...

http://www.accuweather.com/video/700277018001/european-then-you-are-a-freez.asp

wrap up warm!!

Sheesh! I'm glad we don't have to listen to him too often and watch him scribble around his screen in yellow ;) I'd swear he was on the mulled wine already.
    Didn't much like his message either, but I suppose he can't help that :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Carrickman

How are the roads up by Letterkenny direction??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

Carrickman wrote: »
    How are the roads up by Letterkenny direction??

Main Roads wern't too bad earlier on, no snow on them, but back roads estates are lethal!

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭hootietootie

Main Roads wern't too bad earlier on, no snow on them, but back roads estates are lethal!
    My father in law decided to drop me and the wee one home-thought it would be all fine and dandy-then the car started sliding!! He will listen to me someday!

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

The right side of Old Golf Course Road in Donegal town is extremely slippy this evening.

Not as bad in parts of Ardeskin, though I'm sure it'll get worse as the compacted snow melts on top.

I'll be glad when it's all gone!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

byte wrote: »
    The right side of Old Golf Course Road in Donegal town is extremely slippy this evening.

Not as bad in parts of Ardeskin, though I'm sure it'll get worse as the compacted snow melts on top.

I'll be glad when it's all gone!

Is there still much compacted snow and ice on the back roads around donegal town?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

irish-stew wrote: »
    Is there still much compacted snow and ice on the back roads around donegal town?

Yep. My roads still white.

Advertisement