Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weather warning / Road Condition thread 2010 / 2011

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭inode

snows starting to come down heavy now... looking like a blizzard out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭dee o gee

Very heavy shower about half an hour ago in Letterkenny, I got caught in it walking home. I looked like a walking snowman! Don't underestimate how much snow in your eyes hurts either! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Glenman

There is an all Ireland Tug of War championship scheduled to take place on Sunday in Clonmany. Do you think that this event should be called off. Is there a risk of snow on the ground Sunday morning?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

blizzard like now, not looking forward to this walk home =( anyone going past Pacificare Swilly inn around half 4?! looking to go towards old dunnes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

danniemcq wrote: »
    blizzard like now, not looking forward to this walk home =( anyone going past Pacificare Swilly inn around half 4?! looking to go towards old dunnes!

Sure that would nearly do ya for the night :p

Coming thick and fast up with me here, seems to come in realy heavy bursts though 5 mins burst then nothing for 30 mins!

• Advertisement

Sure that would nearly do ya for the night :p

it would if i hadn't blown all my money =( why does tomorrow have to be pay day

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Road between killybegs and dunkineely White and slippy. Takecare round bruckless !

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭.17hmr

gap not bad with care,twin towns slipy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭Firblog

Just driving in the Old laghey road - donegal Town - slippiest I've experienced yet this year, be careful out there ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭bohsboy

Ballyshannon to Donegal Town is very bad now...road markings all completely covered. Very dangerous and its still dumping down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

It its safe to say every road is bad at the moment. Trip home from work was a 20mph crawl, no gritters in sight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭AidySevenfold

Just walked home there...bucketing down in ballybofey...all footprints and most tyre tracks are all filled up again..fun walk home :)

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭puffdragon

whats the road from b-bofey to l-keny like there anyone ?

i can't say it'd be to good, letterkenny is wile bad itself and ones in work here are saying that some main roads are worse than the back roads

• Registered Users Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭mrmac

We got over 2" / 5cm of snow lying on the ground in Letterkenny.
    Just had a slight shower of small hailstones, which is going to make things even more slippy.
    It's actually above freezing atm, but the temp. is expected to drop sharply this evening, so it's going to get lethal out there!

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭puffdragon

Well we cleaned four inches of snow off the car in Castlefinn here and my wife's gone to work in Letterkeny so maybe thers a chance she wont come backI mean cant get back this evening, I heard on Highland there were lorries off the road in Ballybofey, just looking at the satelite forecast I think we're in for more of the same for a day or two and as you say if it freezes then watch out!!

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭GoldenGreen

roads in letterkenny are very bad, packed snow just like a sheet of ice. Cars getting stuck on the port road /main street people out pushing them up the hill.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,610 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

The amount of salt and grit in Donegal is a joke.

We all pay our road tax like the rest of the country, yet the majority is saved for the Dubs to keep their roads open and safe.

Time something was done about this county. We have too many people living off main roads and we need to have a serious snow/ice strategy for the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭irlpic

From Highland Radio this morning -

The latest artic freeze comes as the Council announces that from midday today it will be severely restricting the level of treatment being provided on the county’s roads.

After a lengthy meeting yesterday, the council confirmed that only key routes (Reds), most of them National Primary will be salted, with other roads (Green)just receiving sand and grit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Domscard

irlpic wrote: »
    From Highland Radio this morning -

The latest artic freeze comes as the Council announces that from midday today it will be severely restricting the level of treatment being provided on the county’s roads.

After a lengthy meeting yesterday, the council confirmed that only key routes (Reds), most of them National Primary will be salted, with other roads (Green)just receiving sand and grit.

Note the Top 10 Tips for Driving in Winter Conditions from that DCC site – now adapt this list for Donegal and you get the following more appropriate list:

1.Stay at Home
    2.Stay at Home
    3.Stay at Home
    4.Stay at Home
    5.Stay at Home
    6.Stay at Home
    7.Stay at Home
    8.Stay at Home
    9.Stay at Home
    10.Stay at Home

:mad::(:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46,095 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Roads are terrible around the twin towns. If you intend heading there, well dont. Traffic has ground to a halt a little while ago.

In fact dont go anywhere unless its absolutely essential.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,095 ✭✭✭✭muffler

This just in from the UK met office for NI which we can take as affecting us also.
    Heavy Snow 1100 Fri 17 to 2300 Fri 17

Further heavy snow showers will continue for the rest of today. Additional accumulations of 5 to 10cm are expected widely with locally up to 20cm.

The public are advised to take extra care and refer to TrafficWatchNI.com (operational hours 07.00 to 21.00 Mon to Fri and 09:00 to17:00 on Saturdays) for further advice on road conditions.

Issued at: 1056 Fri 17 Dec

• Registered Users Posts: 14,382 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

stupid weather wheres our warm mild winters

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

main roads in letterkenny were ok from glencar down to tescos, including de valera road, high road was bad, don't know what it will be like after this wee blizzard thats happenin now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

My road is close to impassable in Glencar, even worse now after what was easily the heaviest snow so far.

Heard Meenaroy is close as well and I'd assume the Errigal Road is closed

Beanstalk wrote: »
    main roads in letterkenny were ok from glencar down to tescos, including de valera road, high road was bad, don't know what it will be like after this wee blizzard thats happenin now.

beer run?

• Registered Users Posts: 43 bobby14

i heard the letterkenny main street is closed, don't know if it is true though

i'll be walking through letterkenny town now in an hour when i get home i'll give an update

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

I'm about to walk to college now, judging by the big black cloud to the north theres another heavy shower on the way. Should be fun :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭inode

just back from the town. main street is open. roads are pretty bad in some parts. lots of cars getting stuck at premerica roundabout from hospital side so lots of traffic...

Went the long way around gortlee to get up the mountain top then! man i love snow tyres :D

Advertisement