Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mod for 6.5x55 ???

Options
  • 26-11-2010 3:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭

Well lads, had a hearing test done during the week, need to get a mod on my rifle.... To be honest i dont know a hole lot about makes and stuff but hoping some of you could guide me in the right direction. Been doing alot more fox shooting this year and the effects are showing, never had great hearing in my right ear but now its getting worse...
    So lads im looking for,
    1- make
    2- price
    3- Some one to tread my rifle and how much thats going to cost.
    Thanks lads....:(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

From experience of having my own rifle threaded I can only recommend this guy to thread your rifle. Plenty of good makes of mods out there, I have a T8 on my .223 which has really put manners on her. I'm sure there's no shortage of lads on here to recommend calibre specific mods to you.

Am in the same boat as yourself regarding hearing damage, too late we learn eh :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭greenpeter

I have a t8 on my tikka t3 223 lite, but its not so lite anymore
    its very heavy but it makes a massive difference in sound,
    I try ed it once without the t8 and my ears were ringing for a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭DR6.5

I use a T4 on my 6.5/55mm its a good mod, not too heavy.

Bought an ATEC cmm4 for my 25-06 Tikka its a great mod, only weighs 7oz, the noise reduction is very good.

Out of the two mods i would take the ATEC, John lambert has them in stock.

dr6.5

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

The best mod I own is an ASE Ultra S7
    AseUtra_SL5.JPG

http://www.roedaleprecision.com/epages/schalldaempfer.htm
    Also make a fine mod, which is lighter so leaves the muzzle less like Dolly Parton ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭greenpeter

Thats tiny tack,
    What money are they?

• Advertisement

greenpeter wrote: »
    Thats tiny tack,
    What money are they?

I think it was €400ish, I bought it back in 2006 so I am not sure

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Here are a few mods and average prices. They do depend on where you buy them obviously.
    Make

Ase Utra S5/S7/Jet-Z
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRv_c7xCKyYqHZo8ULfMgb1nTpDSaDbzqVWJeuebI8bpBbYc0c1rw

T8
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQg8hdReqMsTYM3XD4JrjZ20I3JcF4HB5HeuHuG6yHBRQFehqBu
    Predator Wildcat (cut away view)
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRrYNekD5P9rPci4IZz_tB3wzJDkaWoLfalSw8zBjAqWJj0MGMDBA
    Price
    1. €380
    2. €265
    3. €295
    Opinion

Personally i have all three of the above and find the Wildcat the better of them. It does not have the "tinny" feel or sound resonance of the T8 and is not as heavy as the Ase. Plus you can buy inners for the Wildcat that allows you to swap a .30 cal mod to .223 cal mod by buying and changing out the inners. It means 1 mod for multiple caliber rifles. The T8 and Wildcat slip down over the barrel reducing overall length and keeping the weight "central rather than balanced on the end of the barrel as with the Ase.

In relation to the threading. I would strongly advice that you buy and license the moderator THEN bring it and your rifle to a gunsmith and have them thread the rifle for that exact mod. You will get a much tighter fit and a far more effective mod than the "lawyer friendly" ones that most shops sell.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

Use this 30cal ASE northstar in stainless steel on my 308 and 223. about €300. The same as Tack's S7 above but over barrel type and not so much sticking off the front of the muzzel. A tad lighter than the T8.

Sako75308ASENorthstarmod.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭ormondprop

greenpeter wrote: »
    Thats tiny tack,
    What money are they?
    or maybe he has massive hands:D

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭fitzy700

my friend i think the northstar n3 stainless is the the way to go they
    dont rust anything like the t8 and are way more compact they are
    lighter aswell not much but still any waight saved especially if you
    have a heavy barrell

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭ejg

One thing can certainly spoil a rifle and that is a too heavy moderator.
    Many talk about a light moderators but shy away from actually weighing them.
    I've been using A-tec and Delta mods for a few years now and think the design is possibly the best out there.
    At the moment I have three Roedale Delta moderators. All 5 baffle
    Top, a "light" on my 243. All aluminum except the first two stainless baffles. 280 grams.
    mid, "ultralight" on my 308 weighs under 200 grams.
    bottom "stainless" on my 223 weighs 480 grams.
    edi
    DSCN5085.jpg

DSCN5094.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭ormondprop

lovely looking rifles edi, how much do the roedale mods cost and who sells them in ireland, by the way is that a custom bolt shroud on your tikka

If I had the money, I'd get the Roedale in Aluminium for my .308

The ASE I have is fantastic on noise reduction, but it is a tad heavy on the nose of the rifle in comparison to Pete Lincoln's creations.

Most folk never get an opportunity to feel a few different mods in teh hand to asses weight etc

I'd love to get a Pete Lincoln "santy take Note"

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

The best mod I own is an ASE Ultra S7
    AseUtra_SL5.JPG

Not an S7 tackleberrywho. Thats an Ase Utra SL5 from their SL line. It even says so on the side of it. Here is the S series of Ase mods;

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTkGR2YQxjUMIM7X75Okv7Tji7k--jipbkFNXeQK1ZsNZ2fS_X6

I'd love to get a Pete Lincoln

I'd say his wife may have something to say about that. How about a Roedale moderator instead.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

ezridax wrote: »
    Not an S7 tackleberrywho. Thats an Ase Utra SL5 from their SL line. It even says so on the side of it. Here is the S series of Ase mods;]
    True I do have SL5 oops!
    Point being, still a great mod!

I'd say his wife may have something to say about that. How about a Roedale moderator instead.
    Ah, if she knew me she'd know I prefer mens wives, than men ;)
    Can't bate a good Milf

I only bought the ASE as it matches the stainless on the VSSF II.

She has served me well, Hundreds of bunnies wish she was not on the .223 ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭ianoo

ejg wrote: »
    One thing can certainly spoil a rifle and that is a too heavy moderator.
    Many talk about a light moderators but shy away from actually weighing them.
    I've been using A-tec and Delta mods for a few years now and think the design is possibly the best out there.
    At the moment I have three Roedale Delta moderators. All 5 baffle
    Top, a "light" on my 243. All aluminum except the first two stainless baffles. 280 grams.
    mid, "ultralight" on my 308 weighs under 200 grams.
    bottom "stainless" on my 223 weighs 480 grams.
    edi
    DSCN5085.jpg

DSCN5094.jpg

hi ejg ,what kind of money did the ultralight for the 308 cost you and do you know if you can get it in 1/2 x 20 thread ,nice looking rifles by the way :D
    ian

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭ejg

ianoo,
    some prices are on the Roedale webshop.
    http://www.webshop.roedale.de/index.php?cat=c119_Roedale-Delta-Serie.html
    I would advise going 5 baffle. Depending on the ammount of usage decide
    between the material. For stalking or foxing the aluminum is perfect.
    If one fires a few on the range and maybe a couple hundred shots at vermin then the "light" with two stainless baffles could be a compromise.
    edi

Advertisement