If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home Cinema Advice

Options
  • 26-11-2010 3:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭

Hi there, I am a little lost in the whole AV world and am looking to invest in a decent home cinema system (room size is about 30'X15' if this has any bearing). I recently bought a Sony 40" Full HD TV so it will be hooked up to this. Currently I have a Sony dvd / surround sound system which is about 10 yrs old at this stage and is beginning to spit DVD's out and stop playing them every few minutes - I figure it's time for an upgrade! I also have a PS2 and was considering upgrading to a PS3 and using that as my Blu Ray player. Will also be getting Sky HD in the next few weeks so I will need to throw that into the mix aswell.
    I have been considering a Bose Lifestyle system for the simple reason that I have a Bose computer audio setup and it sounds excellent (in my opinion anyway!!). I like the look of the small Bose surround speakers and think that they produce phenomenal sound for their size. Having read though many many posts a lot of people who are in the know describe Bose stuff as overpriced for what it is - this obviously worries me! Having never heard anything better than the Bose system (had a demo in their store in Dundrum SC and was very impressed) I am not sure what to believe at this stage or what the alternatives are - but I do know that I am not interested in being stung!
    On going the PS3 route is it advisable to use this as a Blu Ray player from a quality point of view - I have heard that due to the PS3 being constantly hooked up to the net and getting ongoing software upgrades that it is an excellent option as a Blu Ray player, is this accurate?
    Any advice / price quotes would be much appreciated.
    Thanks, Garry.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭galvo_clare

<SNIP>

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, RicherSounds.ie Moderator Posts: 2,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Ritz

Mod Comment:

@galvo_clare

Please take a moment to read the Charter http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055564744 , particularly the part that says:
    If you see a post which is looking for a quote or advice from RS, please resist the urge to offer your opinion ! Such queries are not an open invitation for posters to make suggestions etc, these queries should be left to RS to answer. If queries or requests for quotes attracted everyone's opinion, the forum would be unworkable. This is not intended to prevent the usual chat and banter which you will regularly see on the RS forum.

Thanks,

Ritz.

• Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

Hi there, I am a little lost in the whole AV world and am looking to invest in a decent home cinema system (room size is about 30'X15' if this has any bearing). I recently bought a Sony 40" Full HD TV so it will be hooked up to this. Currently I have a Sony dvd / surround sound system which is about 10 yrs old at this stage and is beginning to spit DVD's out and stop playing them every few minutes - I figure it's time for an upgrade! I also have a PS2 and was considering upgrading to a PS3 and using that as my Blu Ray player. Will also be getting Sky HD in the next few weeks so I will need to throw that into the mix aswell.
    I have been considering a Bose Lifestyle system for the simple reason that I have a Bose computer audio setup and it sounds excellent (in my opinion anyway!!). I like the look of the small Bose surround speakers and think that they produce phenomenal sound for their size. Having read though many many posts a lot of people who are in the know describe Bose stuff as overpriced for what it is - this obviously worries me! Having never heard anything better than the Bose system (had a demo in their store in Dundrum SC and was very impressed) I am not sure what to believe at this stage or what the alternatives are - but I do know that I am not interested in being stung!
    On going the PS3 route is it advisable to use this as a Blu Ray player from a quality point of view - I have heard that due to the PS3 being constantly hooked up to the net and getting ongoing software upgrades that it is an excellent option as a Blu Ray player, is this accurate?
    Any advice / price quotes would be much appreciated.
    Thanks, Garry.

The PS3 is not a bad BR - but in most cases a dedicated Blu-Ray will be better - but it's not a bad option to keep the budget down if you are building a system.

On the Bose front - I'm probably the wrong person to comment - however whilst in my experience they don't make bad products - they are generally quite expensive and you can get better value & audio quality from other manufacturers for less money - however you have to take that in the contect that I don't stock Bose!

If you like the look of the small Bose speakers there are several other options that generally most Audio experts agree that you will get really good quality from a sub-sat system from the likes of Boston / Monitor Audio / Kef etc.

If it was me - as a starting point I would look at something like the SonySTRDH510 with the Boston XSB 5.1 which we can do at £389.95.

If you wanted to improve on this system a little I would add the Yamaha RXV367 to the Boston pack at £419.95 and this will sound significantly better!

If you want to spoil yourself - & you wanted excellent quality I would go for the Denon AVR1911 with the Monitor Audio Vector 5.1 pack (these speakers are a little bigger than the Bose/Monitor Audio's) and we can do this at £599.95 which represents a MASSIVE saving on the combined retail price!

Keep me posted if you need any further info or if we can assist in any way,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.