Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meringue stuck to baking paper help please

Options
  • 26-11-2010 3:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭

Ok I was trying to be organised, so made the meringue base for my pavlova last night and left it in oven to cool over night as suggested by Mr Jamie Oliver himself.

When I went to take it out of oven this morning and refrigerate, I realised that it had stuck to my none stick baking paper! There is a syrup that appears to have come out of the meringue and now it is dried, it is acting like super glue :(

I don't know what to do, I have people over for dinner this evening so if anyone has some advice or ticks that have worked for them please let me know. I thought maybe if I reheated it in the oven it might cause it to become unstuck?

Any advise would be seriously appreciated.
    Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭reverenddave

i'd try re heating it like you said

it may melt the ''syrupy stuff'' :D

but i wouldn't leave it in the oven for too long as it'll probably burn the meringue :D

Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 26,988 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Hi there,

You need to put a light coating of vegetable on the tray prior to putting the parchment paper over it. The meringue mix should be spread evenly over the paper but try and avoid the edges of the tray.

The glue like substance is the sugar caramelizing and nothing to worry about but you may have had the oven to high.

The best temperature to cook Pavlova is 110 degrees (fan oven best) for about 1.5 hours, if the mix starts to brown, remove as its ready to go.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Scarlet 27

Thank you for your reply, I really hope reheating it works, I have another recipe for chocolate mouse, but I have not made it before so little concerned about making it tonight after work in case it doesnt turn out great.

Dempo1 wrote: »
    The best temperature to cook Pavlova is 110 degrees (fan oven best) for about 1.5 hours, if the mix starts to brown, remove as its ready to go.

I pre heated the oven to 150 degrees as per instructions and turned the oven down to 100 degrees when I put the Pavlova in, I used the non fan oven setting (I wasnt sure what would be best) but thank you in future I will take your advance on board.

Scarlet 27 wrote: »
    Thank you for your reply, I really hope reheating it works, I have another recipe for chocolate mouse, but I have not made it before so little concerned about making it tonight after work in case it doesn't turn out great.

Noooooooooooo! do not reheat, all you will do is dry it out!

My advice is take out the mix as is, break it up and use it with mixed fruits and whipped cream (Meringue Fools), served in glasses. The mix will last a while until your ready to mix it with cream and fruits.

I'm sorry to say you really should start again based on the advice i gave in my original post!

• Advertisement

Scarlet 27 wrote: »
    I pre heated the oven to 150 degrees as per instructions and turned the oven down to 100 degrees when I put the Pavlova in, I used the non fan oven setting (I wasnt sure what would be best) but thank you in future I will take your advance on board.

Sorry just saw your reply, I would not recommend preheating oven at that temperature. By all means do preheat the oven but at 110 degrees and keep the temp consistant. I suspect by preheating at 150 you caused the mix to carmelise (the sticky stuff you talked about). Convection (fan) ovens are also best!

Oki Doki, good luck!

Unfortunately I am not going to have time to start from scratch, I had thought of doing as you advised and making Eton Mess with cream and strawberries, as I already have these for the pavlova.

Advertisement