Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pls HELP - lost data & can't retore computer

• 26-11-2010 4:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 321 ✭✭

Ok - I did a stupid thing this morning....I was cutting and pasting a folder to a USB key, but there wasn't enough room on the key. So I deleted all on the key & went to do it again, but the data that had already been "cut & pasted" was gone!!

- I checked the recycle bin, no sign
    - decided to restore the computer to last nights setting & the computer seems to have frozen (sitting with the windows logo & the "progress Bar" is not moving - it's been like that for about 5 hours (not sure how long it should normally take....but seems to be going nowhere

So, can anyone suggest anything I can do or is the data lost forever??
    Is it safe to turn off & on, the computer & try something else??
    Anyone any ideas or will I be working free of charge all day tomorrow to get me back to where I was?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭bhickey

Try putting Recuva on another machine and see if it can find the data on the USB key.

As for the desktop, I don't think that System Restore would restore data.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Saganist

Word of advice.

Copy & Paste is much much safer than Cut & Paste.

What you have done is to move the files from your PC to the USB. When it didnt fit, you deleted them from both your USB and your PC. Thats what CUT does.

If you had of copied and pasted, you end up with two copies, one on PC and the other on USB.

You can try and run some recovery program to get your files back, but youd probably be quicker starting from scratch !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 321 ✭✭Little A

I ment to hit copy & paste,......I actually normally do "send to"....I just wasn't thinking straight.

I'll go in tomorrow & try the Recura program, but I guess I could be working FOC all day 2mrw if it doesn't work (the key may have been reused at this stage.....I'm such an idiot!!

The only reason I decided to do "cut & paste" was that my boss want the info taken off 1 PC & loaded on another (we normally just copy from PC to PC

Advertisement