Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Heading to Fota Wildlife park, any tips??

• 26-11-2010 4:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 493 ✭✭

Hi Guys and gals,

Heading to Fota for the weekend now and am bringing the camera with me. just seeing does anyone have any useful tips for shooting down here (Camera Shooting!!!)? I have 30D and Sigma 70-300, nothing special but hoping to be able to get something nice out of it. My first real shoot away from Car photography!!

Cheers Peeps,

Paddy

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

I found Fota a bit disappointing TBH.

That said your best bet are the giraffes and zebras. They're in a big open area with lots of green background. The 300mm will serve you well!

The cheetahs are in small dark enclosures when the cheetah run isn't in use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

Wrap up, its going be fairly cold. Myself and the girlfriend were going to go today but decided against walking around in the cold :p

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

I was there last July, Long lens is a necessity I think. As said in previous post the Giraffes and Zebras are in an open field but sometimes they can be very far away from you. Where the Monkeys and Flamingos and other birds and fowl are you will get very good shots. The Pelicans are usually very obliging by staying very still as you photograph them. The Red Pandas can be great subjects as long as they are not hiding. The Cheetahs are good too but you really need manual focussing so as to eliminate the cagewires, same for the Eagles.
    You should be able to get lots of good shots there and don't forget to visit the Fota Gardens which is a short distance from the wildlife park.
    Enjoy your visit and as said in previous post, do wrap up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

Think outside the usual zoo style shots, Foto is more open so it should be easier to make your images feel like they were taken out wild in Africa/Asia. If it's really cold expect a lot of the animals to be in shelter, can be disappointing when that happens. Happened to us in Dublin zoo last month, but we went to Saint Louis zoo [which was free!] twice and got to see most species. If you're staying more than one day, go twice to make sure you get as much in as possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 493 ✭✭nicknackgtb

Yeah I forgot my bloody hat and gloves but have a ski jacket so hopefully shouldn't be too bad!! Were here till Sunday night so hopefully may get out to it again, if not may try the gardens tomorrow and see what it's like! I'll let eye know how I get on anyway! Cheers for the comments

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭opti76

wait for the cheetah run . i think is 345..its worth it

ok so a bit disappointing in the sense that the animals were hardly coming out as it was a bit cold!!!!! As Dazftw said, It was very cold!!!

As this was my first sort of wildlife shooting experience, I tried my best with a few different settings and all the rest and got a few nice ones!! Here's some anyway and would love some cc on this please!
    My fav is the one with the black and white duck in the water with the yellow eyes!!

Cheers guys

IMG_6033.jpg
    IMG_6009.jpg
    IMG_5970.jpg
    IMG_5834.jpg
    IMG_5930.jpg
    IMG_5924.jpg
    IMG_5911.jpg
    IMG_5966.jpg
    IMG_5910.jpg
    IMG_5874.jpg
    IMG_5843.jpg
    IMG_5831.jpg
    IMG_5826.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

I like the first and last ones.....(And your B&W 'Duck' of course! )
    Most of the others have some 'man-made' features in them that I'd like to see cropped or cloned out as they take from the pics IMO.

I like the first and last ones.....(And your B&W 'Duck' of course! )
    Most of the others have some 'man-made' features in them that I'd like to see cropped or cloned out as they take from the pics IMO.

I know what you mean, was too cold unfort to be getting into better positions for them! I just didnt crop anything as I wanted to see what people thought of the pics to get the cc, but appreciate the comment. For the black and white duck, i over exposed the shot and thats what seemed to work for that shot!

Advertisement