Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Town council query

Options
  • 26-11-2010 4:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭

Hi All,

I have a query I hope you can help me with, I was just wondering about the position of Mayor of Greystones. Can you tell me if this is an elected position, and if so is this by the town council?

I can't find any info on the Wicklow Co Co website,

Thanks,

J

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

The Mayor of Greystones Town Council is elected by the members of Greystones Town Council.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭jclare56

Thank you for replying so quickly - so can I take it when the new town council was elected in, they then elected the mayor...

I was evidently under a rock for this at the time :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

After the last local elections Independent Councillor Chris Maloney was elected Mayor, then after a year FF Councillor Ciaran Hayden was elected as Mayor. Usually there is a pact whereby the role of Mayor is rotated between the parties but sometimes it doesn't always work to plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,934 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

if Greystones Town Council survives this economic crisis I'll be amazed (although maybe I'm underestimating the determination of national politicians to protect their local cronies).

• Registered Users Posts: 41,066 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

the role is rotated - FF and Lab did a deal between with Chris Maloney - so it will go to Tom Fortune next then I think Kathleen Kelleher and then Stephen Stokes

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Mr Posh

Surely the mayor of Greystones should be elected and not passed around like a piece pipe, This is a genuine question, does the Mayor of Greystones really serve any meaningful purpose?

Also do we really need eight councilors in Greystones, call me naive but what's wrong with having three in a time we are cutting our front line services?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,934 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

we don't need a mayor or a council in Greystones, there are far too many local authorities in Ireland. The town councils in Bray, Wicklow and Arklow have some revenue raising powers, staff, planning authority etc - Greystones has none of this as its a former town commission and little more than a talking shop.

The councillors here want to see Greystones TC given the same status as Bray et al, but in reality it more likely it'll be scrapped altogether. IMO bringing Greystones into a larger Bray/North Wicklow council would be the best solution with the rest of the county under a single council.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 274 ✭✭The Durutti Column

But what is the origin of this title 'Mayor'?

Is it provided for in legislation? Or is it just a case of idiot politicians seeking to inflate their apparent importance? It certainly did not bring with it any extra powers.

(Their sense of self-importance could not be inflated any further without explosive decompression occurring...)

I notice that in Bray they are less insecure. There the chair is still 'An Cathaoirleach'. Rest easy...

But what is the origin of this title 'Mayor'?

Is it provided for in legislation?

Yes - The local government 2001 Act basically allowed for town and county councils to choose whether they wanted to adopt the term Mayor or Cathaoirleach

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 274 ✭✭The Durutti Column

Johnnymcg wrote: »
    Yes - The local government 2001 Act basically allowed for town and county councils to choose whether they wanted to adopt the term Mayor or Cathaoirleach

Thank you for that -- I really thought they were just posing! I take it it's merely a change of title, though -- no added responsibility or power?

• Advertisement

Thank you for that -- I really thought they were just posing! I take it it's merely a change of title, though -- no added responsibility or power?

No - Its the same thing

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Inhousejoke

@ Durutti Column
    I get the reference, I'm a fan of Durutti and the lads myself :D Do I know you? (I'm a twin if that's a hint)

I'm actually confused as to what power the local councils have, seems they pretty much can't do anything (not to mention the fact that Greystones Town Council is millions in debt). Pretty much zoning land is their thing? I think it's the county manager who pretty much calls the shots.

Advertisement