Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hurricane & Southside Festival 2011

Options
  • 26-11-2010 4:35pm
    Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Blink 182, Foo Fighters, and The Chemical Brothers are amongst the first acts to be announced for Hurricane Festival is an annual event for around 50,000 which takes place in Scheeßel, Lower Saxony, Germany which takes place from Friday 17th to Sunday 19th June 2011.

The first acts to be confirmed are Foo Fighters, Blink 182, The Chemical Brothers (live), The Wombats, Two Door Cinema Club, Sick of it All, Parkway Drive, William Fitzsimmons, Friendly Fires, Darwin Deez, Converge, Comeback Kid, and Kvelertak.

Plus two German acts Frittenbude, and Egotronic appearing on the White Stage.

The line-up is repeated at Hurricane's sister event which takes place over the same weekend at Take Off Park, Neuhausen ob Eck near Munich.

Early bird tickets are priced at 112.25 euro including a 5 euro waste deposit which includes parking, and camping, campervan passes. To buy tickets (in English)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Evil_Clown

Thats looking pretty good, been to werchter a few times so looking for a change this year and will deff keep an eye on this one

Is it a brand new festival or has anyone been to this before ??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Beekay

Just added these on facebook....looks decent mainly cause of Chemical Brothers. €112 is a great price!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭funnyname

Looks good

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭ccarr

hey very interested in going to either of these festivals, really good line up, plus flogging molly are playing really want to see them.
    my main question is does any one know the cheapest way to get there, please any information on getting there please let me know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭jefreywithonef

I went to Hurricane a couple of years ago. Landed at Hamburg airport iirc and then had to take a couple of trains to get to Scheeßel (think it took about an hour and a half). It's about twenty minutes walk from the town to the campsite then. Once I get home at the weekend I can check a thread where I listed the journey plan (prices included) in more detail so I'll post back with more accurate information on that when I can.

Festival itself is great, though the campsite is massive and the weather was a bit erratic (one of the days it kept fluctuating from five minutes of rain, then fifteen minutes of intense sunshine, then the rain again, etc.). I think the Southside festival is meant to be better weather-wise. The Germans themselves are a great bunch of lads, most of them speak fluent English and are very friendly so you wouldn't be afraid to ask for directions or anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭ccarr

thank for that information
    ok time to look up the prices of flights to Hamburg.
    hopefully they wont be too expensive as i need to talk a few people in to going and no if its too expensive they will want to go to oxegen instead.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

New Additions from before X Mas:
    Arcade Fire | Portishead | Arctic Monkeys | The Hives | Gogol Bordello | Flogging Molly | Elbow | The Sounds

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭hulkeverton

definetely wanna go to this but id also love to sepend a day in munich, anyone know just how far it is from munich to the southside festival?

cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Nic187

Does anyone know which one would be handier to get to flights and train wise? I'm definitly going to one of them, just want to make sure I make the right choice...Southside could be a bit better weather-wise, and then could have a day or two in Munich or Stuttgart after :)

I went to Rock am Ring in 2006 and it was great, the Germans are so friendly and I couldn't believe how easy going it all was, no messing in the campsites, just everyone sitting around having a great time and the same in the festival.
    Once you go you would never want to go back to Oxegen again!
    And no need to worry about language barriers, obv it's nice to have a few basic words but everyone speaks english

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Band of Horses
    Brother
    Boysetsfire
    Cloud Control
    Clueso
    I am Kloot
    Eels
    Klaxons
    MSTRKRFT
    Portugal. The Man
    Selig
    Sublime with Rome
    The Subways
    You Me At Six

added

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭spudd

anyone got any advice on which festival is easier to get to, Southside or Hurricane? Planning on heading to one of them, just need some advice on which to choose!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

It looks like Hurricane is easiest to get to, flying to Hamburg via Aer Lingus.

Alternatively for Southside you could fly to Memmingen using Ryanair.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Evil_Clown

Blink 182 out and they are replaced by Incubus :D
    I'm going !!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭oneofakind32

I went to Southside! Awesome festival, well worth the trip. Bright Eyes and Arcade Fire were the highlights for me! Got the Ryanair flights to Mimimingen and tickets for less than €200! Anyone else travel?

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Kevface91

yeah i went, but unfortunately murphys law kicked in! flew aer lingus thursday afternoon, got in about 8pm, but just missed the last train we couldve gotten direct that night apparently! got a hostel last minute in munich (there was almost no room at the inn!), and then got a train in the morning- didnt realise it was a 4hr train journey including a stopover!

also we got stuck coming back cos of the huge bus queues and the poxy train service (TWO carriages on the 13.45 train, are you serious bahn.de?!) and missed our flight as a result- very stressful!

how was your experience actually? we nearly flew ryanair, but then the price rose, and i stupidly assumed it would be easier to find our way to the festival travelling from a larger city...... is memmingen small? how did you get to tuttlingen? were there many trains/ long journeys?

by the way everyone, I'm complaining now, but i just had really unfortunate luck this time- its actually a fantastic festival, kind of like oxegen's music with none of its gob****es, and half of its price, and i'd recommend it to anyone in a heartbeat. having said that, possibly consider going to Hurricane in the north if possible- having experienced both, i'd say that hurricanes abit harder to fly to [ryanair requires a via london connection to hamburg/bremen, although aer lingus fly to hamburg direct], but theres a 20min tram to the train station from the airport, and then only a 40ish minute train to scheessel, and from there, a 20 minute walk to the festival.
    meanwhile in southside, personally i had a direct A.L. flight to munich (altho ryanair to memmingen is doable), 40min train from the airport, and a 4hr train from city centre (with changeover), and finally a free 15min shuttlebus from tuttlingen to the site (which I.M.O. was run terribly, but the distance isnt walkable).

also lastly, maybe it was luck of the draw, but hurricane had blistering sun the entire weekend last year, so its got my vote for next year :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭oneofakind32

The trains were a bit of a mess alright although we didnt have it as bad as you by the sounds of it. Flew into Memmingen on Wednesday, 2 trains to Stuttgart where we stayed with a mate of mien who is on Erasmus over there. No problems there. Spent most of the day on thursday trying to get to the festival, trains were delayed, there was a serious lack of shuttle buses from the station and then a 2 hour que to get into the camp site. Apparently the organisers didnt factor in that school kids were off that week in germany and hence more people than usual showed up on the thursday and the trains and shuttle buses weren't ready. Getting back, I decided to go though Stuttgart so I could get a shower and a couple hours decent kip. There were some delays but I left myself plenty of time and made the flight easily. You can get a train from Tutlingen to Memmingen as well. I would describe it exactly as you said like Oxegen without the tossers and half the price. Organisation left a bit to be desired. The lack of "gumi-stiefel" (wellys) in the shop was crazy, they could have made a killing! Didn't mind the bit of rain TBH, I got burnt to a crisp on friday evening so the rain cooled me off a bit!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭denhaagenite

Sorry for bump, was looking at the lineup for this year as have always wanted to go to Hurricane. Didn't know that they had a sister festival in the South, can anyone tell me if the weather is likely to be better? Anyone been to both festivals?

Sorry for bump, was looking at the lineup for this year as have always wanted to go to Hurricane. Didn't know that they had a sister festival in the South, can anyone tell me if the weather is likely to be better? Anyone been to both festivals?

I'd love to hear feedback from others who have, but I have been to both (Hurricane in '10 and Southside in '11) and I had a much MUCH better time at Hurricane.....

Southside felt like Oxegen weather the year I went there, was sunny enough on the thurs, arrived to the campsite friday afternoon and then it took a turn. pretty miserable weather for fri & sat, was actually very nice on sun. Hurricane, on the other hand (maybe I got lucky) was blisteringly sunny for the entire weekend, except for a freak monsoon during LCD soundsystem for about 30mins.
    -> actually despite southside being very rainy, I must point out that it handily takes place at an old airfield, meaning that although there is mud, there are a lot of concourses, in the campsite and the arena, that are concrete, so that makes it a LOT easier/nicer to get around. and yes, they also have those walkway things like Oxegen ASWELL.

also, tbh, having not properly researched Southside before we went, i was VERY shocked at how far away it was! For Hurricane, I think we flew into Bremen (we went via stansted cos it was dirt cheap, you can prob get there from dub), 10/15 min taxi to city centre?, very small/central, and got a train to (Scheesel, was it?) no bother, 10.50 p/p, or a 5 person ticket for e28ish. train took about 30mins, then from the station you have a 20 odd minute walk, which is actually really nice, its a very pretty area.

-> meanwhile, southside was a 4 hour train journey from munich, with a stopover in Ulm. (oh yeah, also, the tickets are twice as expensive, because the prices above are regional tickets, and for southside you have to cross regions). we only realised afterwards that ryanair flying into memmingen was almost a midpoint to the festival, not to mention cheaper! although I think you'd still need to get a stopover to Ulm, think its a different line. ANYWAY, the train leaves you in memmingen, and southside (unlike hurricane) provides a shuttle bus service. then again, it would want to, cos the bus takes about 10 mins driving there.

lastly, (and this is the real reason I'd love to hear other peoples opinions) we had a horrible experience getting back from southside. we got up 9am on monday, had to queue about 2 hours to get on the shuttlebus, got to the station, where there were regional trains every (1 hour? 2 hours?), and to make things worse, the first train that arrived was overcrowded and only half the people on the platform got on (and believe me- they SQUEEZED on, it was the only light point in that day for me :P ). then the next train was about a half an hour late too, and given all the unexpexted delays, we missed our flight home!

so yeah, I had a bad experience, but then again logistics are always difficult at big events like these- its possible the same thing happens at hurricane, but we didnt see it because we had to get a 6am train to catch our flight, so we may have avoided the midday stampede :P

hope all this helps! TL;DNR based on personal experience, I'd say go with Hurricane.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭denhaagenite

We will be driving so the public transport won't be a factor, we were thinking that it would be nice to see the Black Forest. We hope to pick up a friend on the way down from NL, so he will probably fly to Baden Baden as it seems to be the handiest.

To be honest I think we will be going to Southside as despite living so close we have only scratched the surface of Germany. Dusseldorf, Berlin, Munich, Koln, Aachen. We might make a week of it with the festival as a big finale :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3 lisa_88_

Hey all :-).

Just bought my tickets for hurricane... I was thinking of flying Dublin to brermen then after the festival getting thee train from Bremen to Berlin for a few days then fly home from Berlin. Flights work out bout 200e which isn't too bad. I think we will be renting a car it just seems the easiest option?? Just wondering is the car park safe etc because my car was broken into in oxygen but it seems the German festivals are a lot safer. Anyways there is just 2 of us so if anyone is interested in car share let me now :-)

Oh and does anybody know if there will be more added to the line up???

• Advertisement

i have no direct experience with the car park but i imagine itll be grand! as far as i witnessed, the crowd were alot nicer at both festivals, and unlikely to be the type to do that. (that said, dont go tempting fate by leaving all your valuables lying visibly in the car!) :P

Advertisement