Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phone for 55yr old male - ~€120

Options
  • 26-11-2010 4:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,486 ✭✭✭

Hi there. Can someone recommend me a smartphone for a 55yr old male? The price limit on the phone would be around €120, preferably less. He currently has a Nokia ????, whatever it is its nothing fancy, like a 6210 or something. He is also on VF Simply 100 contract at the moment, 100 calls and texts per month plus free calls and text to VF.

He wants a smartphone and wanted an iphone but price puts that idea to bed. The one i'm looking at for him is the Galaxy Europa; but he says he wants something more square! FFS!!

He suggested the LG Cookie Fresh, but after looking at the specs i dismissed it as it looks a bit shít, has much less features and for all intents and purposes isn't a smartphone.

Can people give me as many suggestions as possible? Thanks.

EDIT:

* What features are important to you in a phone?

Decent camera (2MP+) / Bluetooth for car connection

* Form factor - i.e. touchscreen, slider, flip phone, etc.

Touchscreen / Square?! (not absolutely necessary)

* Internet - is 3G/mobile internet important, or WiFi/EDGE

WiFi and he'll want to use his email outside the house (3G??)

* Operator - have you an operator preference

Probably easiest to stick with VF

* Pre-pay/Bill-pay/SIM-Free - have you a preference for either

Bill pay, preferably stay on the Simply 100 plan with the option of the data add-on

* Price range

up to €120

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭bogman

Get a San Fransisco smartphone (pay as you go) from Orange in the UK/NI, it will cost u 99stg but u will have to get an additional 20stg credit
    It runs Android 2.1, can easily be unlocked, decrapiffied and updated

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

I dont like the Europa either, for what you have said, I think this is the best option for your spend. Disliking this i would be checking adverts.ie

http://vodafone.ie/df/shop/ProductDetails.shtml?handsetselected=461045&offerSelected=prepaynew&action=view

• Registered Users Posts: 1,486 ✭✭✭gnolan

Do you Orange deliver to Ireland? Quite like the look of that and i think he would too. Why do i need to purchase £20 credit too?

@Davy: What don't you like about the Europa? I must say don't like the look of that Nokia. Seems like they've sacrificed some screen size for the sake of a keypad. Also has gotten some rotten reviews. I appreciate the input though. Any other suggestions would be much appreciated.

Advertisement