Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

drill from the u.s

Options
  • 26-11-2010 5:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,027 ✭✭✭✭

if i was too bring a drill home from the u.s would i have too pay costums?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Hardly an electrical issue, but it depends. They might not stop you at the airport and let you through with it, or they might. Depends on their mood really

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭exaisle

The bigger issue is that it wont work if it's 110volt unless you have a suitable transformer.

If it's a cordless, your charger would have to be compatible with 230volts (as many are - they will accept input AC voltages of 100-250volts.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,027 ✭✭✭✭cena

well its a dewaly cordless drill. 18 volts. i only put it in here because its electrical. didn't know were too put it

cena wrote: »
    well its a dewaly cordless drill. 18 volts. i only put it in here because its electrical. didn't know were too put it

Like I said, it depends on the customs officer in the airport.

You will need to get a 240V charger for it, or a 110V power supply for the charger.

That, or replace the transformer in the Charger with a 240V one. You should be able to order one from Radionics.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 thetowen

cena wrote: »
    if i was too bring a drill home from the u.s would i have too pay costums?

When you bring it back don't pack it in the original box and throw the receipt away, then customs can't prove you bought it over there. If your stopped just say you brought it with you to do a job :)

• Advertisement

thetowen wrote: »
    When you bring it back don't pack it in the original box and throw the receipt away, then customs can't prove you bought it over there. If your stopped just say you brought it with you to do a job :)

Not a clever idea if you are on a holiday visa to america.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Not a clever idea if you are on a holiday visa to america.

Just pack it in your suitcase and walk through the Green Channel when back in Ireland, keep your receipts separate from it, as fingers said the last thing you want is for to get searched in the US and they to be thinking you were working there illegally. My uncle bought back drills from the US before like this and never had a problem. US drills and powertools have the 110v advantage in Ireland as 110v must be used on building sites with a yellow transformer brick to satisfy health and safety regulations, apparently 110v is less lethal than our 230v.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Stinicker wrote: »
    US drills and powertools have the 110v advantage in Ireland as 110v must be used on building sites with a yellow transformer brick to satisfy health and safety regulations, apparently 110v is less lethal than our 230v.

Not only apparently, certainly. It would be quite an achievement to get electrocuted with 110v.

Advertisement