Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

THE SNOW RETURNS!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

The exams are scheduled about a year in advance. They were severely constrained by the leaving cert delay so there wasn't much of a need to consider for severe weather. Our climate indicates we have mild winters, you cant predict for weather 12 months in advance.

It's been known for about 3 weeks this could happen, it's obvious plans could have been made from then but I really doubt they did. I also doubt they looked at the weather forecast either. It's expected to snow for the whole day, and I think have a situation of 1,000+ people trying to get home from RDS this evening onwards is very irresponsible from UCD.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭TDOie

Chet T16 wrote: »
    From James Williamson on FB:

in b4 SU does nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

In all fairness, at least he's trying to do something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Agreed, massive props to James for actually doing his job, and there's not an ounce of sarcasm there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

Just looking at the radar, dublin is foooooked for the next few hours, (let alone wexford :P)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Shorty11857

Great to see James looking out for us, major props if he gets it done

That now is getting worse by the minute out there, not looking forward to trekking to the exam if they're on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭martineatworld

I've met James thorugha friend of a friend type thing, he's a nice lad and I do get a sense that he's a bit more proactive than the rest of the SU.

But I fear he'll fight a losing battle, I mean getting UCD to use common sense? Pffff, this is a joke, looks like another hour and a half walk home tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

Guy's what exactly are the repercussions if we don't make it in for the exam? I have to travel half way across the country for mine tomorrow and I'm seriously considering it's just not worth the effort.

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    Guy's what exactly are the repercussions if we don't make it in for the exam? I have to travel half way across the country for mine tomorrow and I'm seriously considering it's just not worth the effort.

An email from James yesterday, get a garda report and you'll get extenuating circumstances. It should be ok, given the distance you'll have to travel.
    Hi Everyone,

I know this is the middle of exams, but with a bit of luck you will check this email in time.

The James Joyce Library will close tonight at 10pm. Other libraries will close a little earlier. If the weather continues, the same will take place tomorrow.

In terms of exams, they will still go ahead. Keep an eye on www.ucd.ie. UCD are keeping an eye on Dublin Bus/DART updates and will start doing this tomorrow at 6am and will base any decisions on that and the weather updates. Updates on exams will be posted online. All of the main roads and areas around the hall will be cleared and the SU shuttle bus will operate as usual. If you really can't make an exam you must fill out an extenuating circumstances form and attach a garda report outlining the fact that roads are impassable at your address. Aside from that exams are going ahead.

Hope the exams are going well.

James
    Sent from my BlackBerry® wireless handheld

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,503 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Snowing very heavily now in Ballsbridge

Its at it again.
    An email from James yesterday, get a garda report and you'll get extenuating circumstances. It should be ok, given the distance you'll have to travel.

There is no such thing as a "garda report" on the weather. It is very much down to the Garda on the front-desk as to whether he or she will oblige or not. Have a look at this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

What are the roads like around the RDS?

Its at it again.

There is no such thing as a "garda report" on the weather. It is very much down to the Garda on the front-desk as to whether he or she will oblige or not. Have a look at this thread.

Yeah, I say it's just get a written statement stamped and verified. Can't imagine them not doing it tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭NaiveMelodies

Currently on my way in to campus, but I'm reading now the shuttle bus has stopped, A mate is doing me a huge favour by driving me in, its been 2 hours so far, seriously dissapointed they didnt make the obvious decision at 6am as I'll now be stranded in UCD

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,503 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Anyone using the DART be weary - all services to and from Connolly have halted due to points failures.

Anyone using the DART be weary - all services to and from Connolly have halted due to points failures.

Well this day just gets better and better...

If those DART delays aren't sorted I've no idea how I'll get in

They really don't have a choice at this stage but to cancel

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭geetar

ok if the shuttle bus has stopped AND the dart is messed up. they HAVE TO cancel the exams surely :confused::confused:

the dart was my plan b :rolleyes: (i dont have a plan a)

Has there been any word from James yet about the situation?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

According to Facebook the SU are having a conference call at 11.30 to try get them cancelled. The 12 exams are still going ahead and we should hear by 12 about the rest.

• Advertisement

kateos2 wrote: »
    According to Facebook the SU are having a conference call at 11.30 to try get them cancelled. The 12 exams are still going ahead and we should hear by 12 about the rest.
    They're seriously leaving it that late? I'd be shocked if people made it to the 12 o clock ones if the shuttle bus and DART are down

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭stop

Irish rail stated there are delays to the DART, not cancelations.

The DART is still running.

They're seriously leaving it that late? I'd be shocked if people made it to the 12 o clock ones if the shuttle bus and DART are down

They must just be holding out so they have the minimum amount of exams possible to repeat in jan or mid-term etc.. Really are acting the absolute fool at the moment, god I really hate the place

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Design_Dude

Im just still at home here, exam is at 12, Only way i can get in is walk in the snow, which will take a good hour and ive got a nasty cold and headache.

What should i do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 squeek squeek

According to scott ahearns fb page the exams at 12 are going ahead and there is going to be a conference call at 11.30 regarding the rest so we should know for definite by 12

PLEASE GOD, LET THEM CANCEL!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭passive

Im just still at home here, exam is at 12, Only way i can get in is walk in the snow, which will take a good hour and ive got a nasty cold and headache.

What should i do?

Leave 15 minutes ago? Or get a doctor's note for extenuating circumstances if your illness is enough that you can't go outside or sit the exam.

Seriously, if you just haven't bothered thinking about this 'til now I can't imagine you've a leg to stand on. The 7:30 weather update on UCD, and all the signs visible all around you would indicate that heading to the exam early might be a good call.

(edit: To clarify, I also have a nasty cold and headache, and an exam at 3. If they don't show any sign of cancelling I'll be leaving my house at 12:30 as I know I can get to the RDS from Glasnevin in that time regardless of transport/snow/lightning/bears.)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

What should i do?
    Walk, honestly. You won't get an extenuating circumstance if you live within walking distance.

Any chance I could PM someone here my mobile number and they could send me a text to let me know what's decided?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

I feel sorry for the people who have exams left and live down the country who will be trying to get home for chistmas. Looking at the forcast things are only going to get worse.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Any chance I could PM someone here my mobile number and they could send me a text to let me know what's decided?
    Go for it.

Advertisement