Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

THE SNOW RETURNS!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭liamygunner29

Look at the weather forum and the lads with the charts and stuff and all the stuff on www.Irishweatheronline.com. Rte can't be sending the country into a panic it was the same last time.

I'm not finished till 8 on the Wed and its an elective I could easily sit anytime so it would suit me fine to hit the sauce earlier but I can see why it could be rough on people, specially with it hanging over them for Xmas.

They won't push them back a 1000 people trying to get out of the rds at 10 the night before christmas eve in snow and ice..no chance. As well as that why would an hour back make it less snowy. Fact it that if its dangerous and people can't make it and the libo closes they will have to postpone them. I can realistically see it happening. Happened other places last year.

This is what they get for starting a week later and keeping us till the 22nd!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Look at the weather forum and the lads with the charts and stuff and all the stuff on www.Irishweatheronline.com. Rte can't be sending the country into a panic it was the same last time.

I'm not finished till 8 on the Wed and its an elective I could easily sit anytime so it would suit me fine to hit the sauce earlier but I can see why it could be rough on people, specially with it hanging over them for Xmas.

They won't push them back a 1000 people trying to get out of the rds at 10 the night before christmas eve in snow and ice..no chance. As well as that why would an hour back make it less snowy. Fact it that if its dangerous and people can't make it and the libo closes they will have to postpone them. I can realistically see it happening. Happened other places last year.

This is what they get for starting a week later and keeping us till the 22nd!

EXACTLY!.... Im a regular on the weather forum... so be warned! , if u dont like snow, its not looking good!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

What exactly happens if they cancel the remaining exams?? I presume they will be pushed back to january.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

landyman wrote: »
    What exactly happens if they cancel the remaining exams?? I presume they will be pushed back to january.

Well as far as I know, the RDS is used by TCD for exams in January, so it wouldn't be available for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭Blut2

They'll probably push them back to next summer I'd imagine. Far easier logistically for them to just add on an extra 2/3 days of exams to that exam period than try to organise an entirely new one next January - location, schedules, invigilators etc would all have to be sorted. A lot of students also probably have ski trips or other holidays booked well in advance for January that theyd argue couldnt be moved, having the rescheduled exams far enough off in May for lots of notice to be given would avoid this.

Students couldnt really complain too much either as every year before 2006(I think...cant quite remember at this stage) didnt have any Christmas exams anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Blut2 wrote: »
    Students couldnt really complain too much either as every year before 2006(I think...cant quite remember at this stage) didnt have any Christmas exams anyway.
    05/06 was the first year I remember everyone having Christmas exams, but some courses had them before then.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Blut2 wrote: »
    A lot of students also probably have ski trips or other holidays booked well in advance for January that theyd argue couldnt be moved, having the rescheduled exams far enough off in May for lots of notice to be given would avoid this.

Personally I wouldn't view that as a valid excuse. Its what travel insurance is for. I'd rather take a hit financially than miss a grade or have to sit in June when you'll be studying for possibly 9+ subjects.

Also rescheduling to May is unfair on those who have exams still to sit versus those who have finished i.e. Workload etc. Let the exams run as they are, if you value your education you'll get there. The snow was bad but its not impossible. Bit of forward thought and its plain sailing. And before anyone says I live beside the RDS, I'm a good hour from there and public transport isn't great in my locality. Plenty of hotels in the area if it really came to it for the sake of 1 or 2 days.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,503 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

ironclaw wrote: »
    Personally I wouldn't view that as a valid excuse. Its what travel insurance is for. I'd rather take a hit financially than miss a grade or have to sit in June when you'll be studying for possibly 9+ subjects.

Also rescheduling to May is unfair on those who have exams still to sit versus those who have finished i.e. Workload etc. Let the exams run as they are, if you value your education you'll get there. The snow was bad but its not impossible. Bit of forward thought and its plain sailing. And before anyone says I live beside the RDS, I'm a good hour from there and public transport isn't great in my locality. Plenty of hotels in the area if it really came to it for the sake of 1 or 2 days.

If the exams are cancelled due to snow, it will be primarily down to health & safety issues being expressed by the RDS and issues with UCD staff and invigilators getting to the exams. If staff cannot get there, then the show cannot go on.

In ways I would love if my exam tomorrow was cancelled . . . but meh, I think at the end of the day I would prefer to soldier on and get them over and done with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

ironclaw wrote: »

Most importantly, rescheduling till may is completely crippling for people who are only in UCD for one semester.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 doly

Could some of the exams be offered as essays instead. In theory, my two exams on Monday could be done that way, with a short deadline and a grading system that took account of the change. I know not all exams could be done that way but I presume there must be some sort of back-up plan for calcellation contingencies. Suppose the RDS burned down or something. Oh God, I'm supposed to be studying, not stalking Boards.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Surely they could hold some of the remaining exams on campus if the RDS wasn't available in early January?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

doly wrote: »
    Could some of the exams be offered as essays instead. In theory, my two exams on Monday could be done that way, with a short deadline and a grading system that took account of the change. I know not all exams could be done that way but I presume there must be some sort of back-up plan for calcellation contingencies. Suppose the RDS burned down or something. Oh God, I'm supposed to be studying, not stalking Boards.
    What about the entire Faculty of Science? We don't really do essays.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 doly

Raphael wrote: »
    What about the entire Faculty of Science? We don't really do essays.
    You are right of course. I do sometimes forget that UCD is about more than Arts, but I did say not everything could be done by essay. This was just my usual "What they should do is..." line. Presumably, "they" would like to have the smallest possible number of exams to have to accommodate later or elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭TheVoodoo

Raphael wrote: »
    Most importantly, rescheduling till may is completely crippling for people who are only in UCD for one semester.

Exactly! And the UCD regulations say that you have can only have a maximum of 2 exams per day, so fitting in the 'missed exams' would prove next to impossible IMO, considering that there is only a small enough window anyway. I have four exams next week, and 7 exams next semester. So doing 11 exams would be an absolute killer (for me).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

Just got this email:
    Dear Student
    I am writing to inform you that the Semester 1 examinations will continue as scheduled this weekend and into next week. It is important, however, that you continue to check the UCD website at http://www.ucd.ie/news/2010/11NOV10/301110-Campus-weather-update.html and your UCD Connect email for further information.
    Information on the exam arrangements can be found at http://www.ucd.ie/registry/assessment/info_stu.htm
    Please make sure you allow plenty of time to travel safely to your exam centres.
    I would like to take this opportunity to wish you every success in the rest of your examinations.
    Regards,
    Jill O'Mahony
    Interim Director of Assessment
    UCD Registry

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

Dear Lord and the baby Jesus,

The snow, let 'er down hard, thick and fast.

I'm sorry i tried to convince my Da you were only made up, i didn't mean it.

If you can do this one thing for me it will mean Rod Gow won't be disappointed in me. Again.

Love always,

Chet T16
    xx

P.S. You might have me registered under a different name

Notice they have sent out the first mail and say they will go ahead but have put back up the Campus update thing for exams so watch the space!! So it is in their minds.

Also its just started snowing in Dublin!!

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭GobBass

I got that e-mail 49 minutes into my final exam.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

So basically,
    Dear Student,

Everythings A-OK at the moment.

Regards, UCD

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

More like
    Dear Student,

Everythings A-OK at the moment.

But who can tell what it'll be like tomorrow ey??? ey???!!

Regards, UCD

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭brokenhinge

Without a doubt it'd be saweet short term and I kind of want them postponed, but we'd have to work over the Christmas break at them, worry and stress accompanying them.

Also there's the issue of international students who are going home (some of them only doing this semester) for good, they'd have to pay €€€ for flights etc. Stress of tha..

It'd be snow fun.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,503 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Snows back! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

We need to protest against Mother Nature.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭NaiveMelodies

Currently, I would not be able to make it in for my exam 2moro at 12, if it gets any worse, well.. i still wont be able to make it in..
    Should I e-mail my lecturer now to see what my options are or wait till im 100 percent certain i cant make it in?

I would email the tutor now - the earlier the better. If you do end up being able to make it in, even better.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭misslt

I've just left the RDS. It's pretty mental. If it keeps up itll be hard to get there tomorrow....

just got back from my 3oclock, traffic is insane people defo going to be late. If it continues to snow, which it should, tomorrow will be in doubt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

F*ck sake. I live in Swords. One day a couple of weeks ago during the last 'big freeze' it took me 2hr 40min to get home. I'm scheduled to have an exam tomorrow at 12pm and apparently tonight is going to be one of the coldest nights on record. Tomorrow I'm gonna have to leave at around 8:30am.

UCD haven't updated their website since around 9am.

Edit: I have a lot of sympathy for the people who have exams @9am tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭misslt

F*ck sake. I live in Swords. One day a couple of weeks ago during the last 'big freeze' it took me 2hr 40min to get home. I'm scheduled to have an exam tomorrow at 12pm and apparently tonight is going to be one of the coldest nights on record. Tomorrow I'm gonna have to leave at around 8:30am.

I'm exactly the same! Let me know how you're going in :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,978 ✭✭✭wyrn

Snows back! :p

The novelty of snow has worn off. I'm not looking forward to heading out there. I think I may stay put until it stops.

At least there's no slush (yet).

Advertisement