Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

THE SNOW RETURNS!

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,503 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Met Eireann are expecting the snow to persist all night on the East Coast.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Tom1991

9 am in the morning, gonna be bags of fun on the 18 in the mornin in this weather

• Registered Users Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭NaiveMelodies

Fcuk, e-mailed my lecturer, really wanna get this exam done 2moro, the only bus that services me is currently stopping nearly 2 and a half km away, my car was written off last week, and really can't be shellin out 230 bills for a repeat

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭ComaWhite

I'm in Maynooth and have an exam from 3-5pm....

at this stage I'm more worried about getting there and back than the exam itself!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

Exams not until 6pm tomorrow. Hopefully Irish Rail run ok again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭eoin2nc

Conor108 wrote: »
    Exams not until 6pm tomorrow. Hopefully Irish Rail run ok again.

Mines at 6 too, hopefully the snow will have stopped and the roads cleared up a bit! If not I dont mind walking there, just please UCD let me finish these horrid exams and let me enjoy my xmas!!

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Scatterbrain

I have two exams tomorrow - a 9am and a 3pm! Nightmare!
    UCD will have to reschedule or something, surely?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Tom1991 wrote: »
    9 am in the morning, gonna be bags of fun on the 18 in the mornin in this weather

Depending on an 18 in this weather is complete folly. That bus is soul-destroying. You would be better getting a bus into town and a 4 or 7 to the RDS.
    only1stevo wrote: »
    Fcuk, e-mailed my lecturer, really wanna get this exam done 2moro, the only bus that services me is currently stopping nearly 2 and a half km away, my car was written off last week, and really can't be shellin out 230 bills for a repeat

2.5 km is not that far, a gentle 30 minute walk will see you there.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,503 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Hmm . . . Met Eireann are saying that Leinster will have some "very heavy" snow hours over the next fifty four hours. Wouldnt be surprised if that has put an end to the remainder of the exams should the forecast be repeated at the 9PM news, tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

Met Eireann are expecting the snow to persist all night on the East Coast.

Look at this precipitation animation of Met Éireann. That large blue blob around the south side looks like it'll be past at around 9pm.

http://www.met.ie/latest/rainfall_radar.asp?ani=y

According to my calculations this will be the forecaster outlook:

between 0.2 and 0.5 mm every hour so let's take a figure of 0.35 mm/hr. The conversion of mm of rain to mm of snow is about 0.16 as fresh snow has a density of approximately 0.16 times that of water.

So, 0.35/0.16 = 2.18 mm of snow/hr.

So in 3 hrs it'll be 6.54 mm. In inches that's only 0.2 inches. Overnight we should only expect 1 inch of snowfall.

But I'm probably wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭Lorrrrraine

I'm have a 9.AM exam tomorrow. It's going to break my heart if it goes ahead, I'd have to leave now to make it on time by the look of that traffic. Why hasn't somebody updated the website? For christ sake.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Shorty11857

I just hope we hear one way or the other soon, I mean they have to let us know for sure tonight right?

Look at this precipitation animation of Met Éireann. That large blue blob around the south side looks like it'll be past at around 9pm.

http://www.met.ie/latest/rainfall_radar.asp?ani=y

According to my calculations this will be the forecaster outlook:

between 0.2 and 0.5 mm every hour so let's take a figure of 0.35 mm/hr. The conversion of mm of rain to mm of snow is about 0.16 as fresh snow has a density of approximately 0.16 times that of water.

So, 0.35/0.16 = 2.18 mm of snow/hr.

So in 3 hrs it'll be 6.54 mm. In inches that's only 0.2 inches. Overnight we should only expect 1 inch of snowfall.

But I'm probably wrong.

The snow is coming from streamers - what is expected to fall over night has not even formed in the Irish Sea yet. A 30 min heavy snow shower can easily dump 6cm no bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

If people find themselves waiting for busses in town in snow tomorrow morning Sandymount Dart station is about a 10 minute walk from the RDS. And trains were a hell of lot better than buses when the snow hit last time.

The snow is coming from streamers - what is expected to fall over night has not even formed in the Irish Sea yet. A 30 min heavy snow shower can easily dump 6cm no bother.

I know but if you look at the yellow blobs coming over the Irish sea that corresponds to 0.5 mm of rainfall, that's should arrive at about 9pm tonight.

Anyone heading for the M50 after your 6PM exam take car - a number of trucks have jack-knifed.

00040d1f-440.jpg
    1831 AA Roadwatch says heavy snow is causing delays on parts of the M50 in Dublin - and visibility on the higher parts of the motorway is described as extremely poor.

A number of trucks have jack-knifed on the M50 a short time ago

Conor108 wrote: »
    If people find themselves waiting for busses in town in snow tomorrow morning Sandymount Dart station is about a 10 minute walk from the RDS. And trains were a hell of lot better than buses when the snow hit last time.

Cool, might do that.

Anyone heading for the M50 after your 6PM exam take car - a number of trucks have jack-knifed.

00040d1f-440.jpg

Ah, pity for the people on that road. Good luck getting home tonight.

Ah, pity for the people on that road. Good luck getting home tonight.

The Port Tunnel is not much better . . .

Site0Camera135.jpg

Oh dear! :pac:

• Advertisement

The Port Tunnel is not much better . . .

Site0Camera135.jpg

Oh dear! :pac:

Well I guess I can rule out getting the 41X tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭woop

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Last updated: 6.46pm 20 December 2010

Monday 20th December: UCD Semester 1 exams continue as scheduled

Students are advised that the Semester 1 examinations are continuing as scheduled. It is important, however, that you continue to check the UCD website and your UCD Connect email for further updates.
    Please make sure you allow plenty of time to travel safely to your exam centres.
    Please continue to check this page for updates and the websites of transport providers to ensure transport services are operating

Best of luck, guys.

Edit: Damnit woop!

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Shorty11857

Kind of surprised they're going ahead, I mean it's supposed to get worse over night, oh well better get back to studying!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

Ah well, when someone slips and breaks a leg in the RDS they have only there selves to blame.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

That's a bit bent on UCD's behalf. As if you don't have enough to worry about with an exam coming up but trying to get there will require time and studying route planning too!

Will be interesting if they are saying the same in a few hours . . . South Dublin is about to get dumped on in around 30 mins again.

Raphael wrote: »
    Best of luck, guys.

Edit: Damnit woop!

Well I mean we all know that they're a bit sadistic at this stage. All they care about is saving money.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

Would the RDS themselves pull the plug I wonder?

• Advertisement

Ah well, when someone slips and breaks a leg in the RDS they have only there selves to blame.

Would you believe the first time I slipped since this year was Saturday 11th when the thaw had well stepped in. The path opposite the RDS wasn't gritted at all.

Advertisement