Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

THE SNOW RETURNS!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Ah folks, its only at most two or so exams. Why cancel now!

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭woop

themont85 wrote: »
    Would the RDS themselves pull the plug I wonder?

yeh youd thinks so with health and safety and all that jazz, email them if you have concerns

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

ironclaw wrote: »

I have three starting from 6pm tomorrow.

I think I'd be pretty chuffed with postponed exams >_>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

More snow is actually going to help. If you go outside now and clear of the top layer of snow the snow underneath it is nearly frozen and very slippy. If it doesn't keep snowing and it all freezes footpaths will be extremely dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

I have one exam left on wednesday, if it were postponed i'd be quite happy tbh, i'm finding it impossible to cram anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

ironclaw wrote: »

Because if there genuinely is a risk that the conditions will get worse over night.
    (a) It will be very hard for people to get in, especially if you're not living in the southside. Inevitably hundreds of students will be late for the exams.
    (b) What if someone slips and falls in the RDS? Who's going to pay for the insurance? I'm sure whoever runs the RDS doesn't want so much trouble on their hands, never mind UCD.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

If UCD can justify closing stuff down on their campus at 2 o'clock two weeks ago because of snow and H & S then they really have no justification for keeping exams ticking on in these conditions.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,503 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Tomorrow morning will be fun.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/1220/weather.html
    1919 Traffic is awful across the city - colleague left at 4.30pm and has only made it about half a mile in almost three hours!

Perhaps leave around 3AM for 9AM?

:p

themont85 wrote: »
    If UCD can justify closing stuff down on their campus at 2 o'clock two weeks ago because of snow and H & S then they really have no justification for keeping exams ticking on in these conditions.

I think it was because of the fact that there are less people in UCD at this point in time compared to 2 weeks ago. 2 weeks ago there would have been a greater risk that UCD would have more liability cases on their hands if someone slipped and fell and got injured. However, the exams aren't in UCD, they're on the grounds of the RDS so if someone got injured whoever runs the RDS would be liable. Basically if it's not UCD's baby they couldn't give a sh*t about the students. It'll cost them more money if they had to postpone exams, something that I'm sure UCD wouldn't want to do. I'm sure the RDS will have some objections though. We'll wait and see ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

The reason they're so reluctant to move the exams is the huge difficulties in where to move them to. It's not a money thing, it's when the hell could they run them thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

Apparently UCD will update the exam status at 6AM in the morning taking Dublin Bus and Dart services into account. Of course that's as log as the RDS don't bitch slap em for being fools first.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Tom1991

wel i could see a few in the black rock exam center happening but are there any other reasonably sized halls on the ucd campus?

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Shorty11857

Apparently UCD will update the exam status at 6AM in the morning taking Dublin Bus and Dart services into account. Of course that's as log as the RDS don't bitch slap em for being fools first.

6am well good to know they'll be giving us proper warning :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭woop

taney rd and near goatstown is impassable according to rte so maybe they might cop on to themselves and give us some warning, legitimate concerns really. Seeing as the exams cause traffic chaos off peak and at the best of times

where ya hear that?

Raphael wrote: »
    The reason they're so reluctant to move the exams is the huge difficulties in where to move them to. It's not a money thing, it's when the hell could they run them thing.

Hold them in UCD! We have the O'Reilly hall and a few of the largest lecture halls in the country.

I imagine one of the main reasons they hold them in the RDS is because it's easier to coordinate there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

Sweet! *sets alarm* Have a feeling trains will be like this when I try go home at 8

156323_10150134208533135_9606778134_8004096_2408412_n.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 487 ✭✭muffinz

My last exam is Wednesday at 9am, cant wait for it to be over :D Pretty sure im going to fail the test and the module, but sure **** it its almost christmas!!

Is there a strong possibility of it being cancelled does anyone know? My aunt living in Dublin says shes currently snowed in atm... Im in Kildare and theres no snow here at all... So I reckon my bus wont be cancelled, its just a matter of if the actual test will be?

Im checking my email account regularly, just waiting for an email saying the tests been cancelled :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭NaiveMelodies

My lecturer replied saying she'd imagine i would need to provide evidence that it was impossible to attend so i hope to god they are cancelled...With my bus usually taking an hour every day, and a 45 minute walk on top of that, I'll be leaving very early indeed to make it in for 12

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭Musefan

I have my last (of 2 :rolleyes:) at 12pm Wednesday. I think if it is bad Tuesday night, I will simply get on the exam bus at 9, and study as it crawls along at a relaxing pace,to arrive at my exam for eleven :p.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Hold them in UCD! We have the O'Reilly hall and a few of the largest lecture halls in the country.

I imagine one of the main reasons they hold them in the RDS is because it's easier to coordinate there.

Apologies, I meant when. Where is, as you've rightly said, not an issue at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

Musefan wrote: »
    I have my last (of 2 :rolleyes:) at 12pm Wednesday. I think if it is bad Tuesday night, I will simply get on the exam bus at 9, and study as it crawls along at a relaxing pace,to arrive at my exam for eleven :p.
    Don't do that because you'll be taking up a place on people who have to be there a ten.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Got forwarded this by my class rep

Hi Everyone,

I know this is the middle of exams, but with a bit of luck you will check this email in time.

The James Joyce Library will close tonight at 10pm. Other libraries will close a little earlier. If the weather continues, the same will take place tomorrow.

In terms of exams, they will still go ahead. Keep an eye on www.ucd.ie. UCD are keeping an eye on Dublin Bus/DART updates and will start doing this tomorrow at 6am and will base any decisions on that and the weather updates. Updates on exams will be posted online. All of the main roads and areas around the hall will be cleared and the SU shuttle bus will operate as usual. If you really can't make an exam you must fill out an extenuating circumstances form and attach a garda report outlining the fact that roads are impassable at your address. Aside from that exams are going ahead.

Hope the exams are going well.

James

Poo

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Penisland

Tom1991 wrote: »
    wel i could see a few in the black rock exam center happening but are there any other reasonably sized halls on the ucd campus?

The Blackrock campus was a death trap during the "proper snow" in the past few weeks. Not as many ground staff I reckon!

Indeed Blackrock as a whole was way worse than the areas around Belfield!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

I think the overseas students is the problem. With 2 days of exams left you could easily hold those exams over 5 days when you look at the size of lecture theaters in UCD.

Fad wrote: »
    Got forwarded this by my class rep

Poo

F*ck it James.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭munchie14

postpone until the mid term. and the could use the o'reilly hall as there main hall.spread them over 3 days. if there was another reasonable size hall,they could use that too. the sports halls if they could close the gym for 2 days.
    i wouldnt mind postponing the exam i had today till mid term.epic NG in electronic circuits ...

Apologies, I meant when. Where is, as you've rightly said, not an issue at all.

A Saturday and Sunday perhaps after the whether have cleared.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭munchie14

OR they could give us all A's for the last few.no ones gona check

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭Musefan

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    Don't do that because you'll be taking up a place on people who have to be there a ten.
    I don't remember seeing any exams set for 10 a.m in the RDS throughout the exam period, so I doubt the bus will be busy :). The only time I remember seeing an exam set for 10a.m is in Blackrock. I may be wrong though! I just always was under the impression the exams start in two hour blocks, with one hour exam candidates leaving in the middle. Therefore I thought the bus wouldn't be as busy at 9!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

munchie14 wrote: »
    postpone until the mid term. and the could use the o'reilly hall as there main hall.spread them over 3 days. if there was another reasonable size hall,they could use that too. the sports halls if they could close the gym for 2 days.
    i wouldnt mind postponing the exam i had today till mid term.epic NG in electronic circuits ...

http://www.facebook.com/?sk=events#!/event.php?eid=177647352260174

?

Advertisement