Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

THE SNOW RETURNS!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Tom1991

Scott Ahern is havin a right laugh aswell commenting under that .comin across as a right prick to me now

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,503 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

I just posted a thread on the Emergency Services forum asking what sort of report people need on road conditions. I could imagine some Garda stations not being too aware of UCD's new policy . . . so hopefully some AGS members can give us some feedback.

Garda Report On Bad Road Conditions?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Just looked out the window, at least 3 inches and it's coming down thick and fast now. Not a chance I'm going in now.

I really doubt that the SU did not try and figure out a solution, as ineffecient as they are, the college itself is just as bad, and I'm sure the college is completely dragging their heels in this matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭Sl!mCharles

Good oul Clay Davis, always relevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bobby42

its absolutely ridiculous for ucd to ask for a garda report. its clear they're putting themselves first over the welfare of students. they just don't want the hassle of reorganising any exams so will keep them going at all costs.
    at least the SU are there for us! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

i hope and pray it doesent happen but if an serious accident occurs tomorrow involving a ucd student its on ucd's head itl be im not usually vocal wen it comes to things like this but if this causes a family to be heartbroken therell be war wit administration over it

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

Seeing as the exams are still scheduled to go ahead tomorrow, I'd leave at least twice the amount of time to get to the exam hall. It took me over an hour to get from UCD to the city centre this evening, and I left campus about 20.15. Madness! Traffic going southbound (i.e. out of town) was at an absolute standstill. It took another guy about 4 hours to get from Castleknock to UCD on the bus. I think I'll walk in the morning!

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭nbrady20009

Here is the extenuating circumstances form:
    http://www.ucd.ie/acshs/extenuatingcircs_ucdproforma.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

It took a friend of mine over 5 hours to get from town to bray, driving. Absolute madhouse out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Tom1991 wrote: »
    i hope and pray it doesent happen but if an serious accident occurs tomorrow involving a ucd student its on ucd's head itl be im not usually vocal wen it comes to things like this but if this causes a family to be heartbroken therell be war wit administration over it

I know conditions are bad but you aren't going to be travelling through Kandahar. No need to sensationalise.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,503 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Raphael wrote: »
    It took a friend of mine over 5 hours to get from town to bray, driving. Absolute madhouse out there.

Things are very bad - the N11 is still backed up completely.
    2250 Gardaí have described the traffic chaos in some parts of south Dublin as 'mayhem'.

The area of Dundrum has been badly hit with traffic remaining at a standstill there this evening.

Many cars have been unable to get up the road onto the M50, which is causing congestion. People have been abandoning their cars and others are helping push vehicles up the hill.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭TDOie

Left UCD @ 20.15, arrived home (Palmerstown) now. I had to walk to Crumlin and get a lift from there.

im not il walk it im in crumlin its about 50 mins to an hour walk but its gonna be dicey on the roads and if someone has to drive up and has an accident itl be on ucd's head

• Closed Accounts Posts: 487 ✭✭muffinz

the earliest bus from kildare to dub is 20 past 6, i got to rds at like quarter past 8 last week, but with the snow theres literally no way ill get there on time...

Lets not forget the entrance to the RDS was an ice rink leaving the exams tonight.

(and I'm not referring to 7up on ice)

Tom1991 wrote: »
    im not il walk it im in crumlin its about 50 mins to an hour walk but its gonna be dicey on the roads and if someone has to drive up and has an accident itl be on ucd's head
    I'll be walking in myself on Wednesday, if my exam's on, and I'd suggest allowing at least an extra half hour, if not more for something that's normally an hour.

Raphael wrote: »
    I'll be walking in myself on Wednesday, if my exam's on, and I'd suggest allowing at least an extra half hour, if not more for something that's normally an hour.

Rathmines etc. is already an ice rink. I imagine it'll be worse by the time you guys go.

TDOie wrote: »
    Rathmines etc. is already an ice rink. I imagine it'll be worse by the time you guys go.
    Oh, I don't doubt it. Will be wearing a pair of socks on top of hiking boots, so I should be ok.

yeah im probably gonna leave at 7 for it and see how i progress my aunts house is beside the ballbridge business school if im mad early ill flake there for a quick thaw before i dart across to the hall

Good plan, and best of luck. Try putting an old pair of socks on over your shoes as well, makes a huge difference on ice - the fabric grips ice way better than shoes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

And for the love of Christ, if you see an RTE camera don't move!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

Have to say one of the most distasteful things I found about UCD was their lack of giving a **** about students. It's not on closing down campus for lectures and study for H and S reasons but have exams on just because they won't be liable because its not on their grounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

Getting to the RDS for 3 tomorrow shouldn't be a problem. My problem is getting up to Dundrum for work at 6 after the exam.

Fun times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭alan4cult

themont85 wrote: »
    Have to say one of the most distasteful things I found about UCD was their lack of giving a **** about students. It's not on closing down campus for lectures and study for H and S reasons but have exams on just because they won't be liable because its not on their grounds.
    UCD = Works perfect when it works, disaster when it doesn't

themont85 wrote: »

That's why we should all run around UCD blind folded an hour before the exams.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

Latest charts are showing more or less non-stop snow from 7am tomorrow in dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

Latest charts are showing more or less non-stop snow from 7am tomorrow in dublin.

I'm refreshing the 'Weather Update' on the UCD page like it's a football match in progress and I'm checking the score! Come on 'Exams cancelled for Semester 1. Alternative examination procedures will take place instead. More information will follow in due course.'

• Registered Users Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

I'm refreshing the 'Weather Update' on the UCD page like it's a football match in progress and I'm checking the score! Come on 'Exams cancelled for Semester 1. Alternative examination procedures will take place instead. More information will follow in due course.'

Nice template.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Jello

Someone posted this over on the Weather forum

It'll be ridiculous if the exams go ahead in these conditions

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

Jesus! And with absolutely none of it melting there is snow chance of these exams going on. Only 2 days of exams will be lost anyway, hardly a nightmare

Advertisement