Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lots of Eggs

Options
  • 26-11-2010 5:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭

have about a dozen eggs at home that will go out of date on tuesday or weds. dont fancy eating them all before then. will have a couple of them boiled and poached but what else can i do with them??!?!?! ideas....

im not much of a baker but i would be open to any really simple recipe suggestions to make with the small one tomorrow or sunday. :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Prenderb

Meringue with the whites, carbonara with the yolks.

Or if you have a pasta roller, make some pasta - it should keep quite well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭themadchef

Pancakes.

Everyone has their own favourite recipe for pancakes. I personally hate the crepe type. I like to fire a few eggs in the bowl, add flour and mix until you have a thick paste and then lighten with a little milk. Mix will still be quite gloopy. Plop onto hot buttered pan and turn when bubbly on top and brown on bottom, more like crumpets really and soooo nice. I sprinkle the sugar on after so you can use splenda or the likes if you dont want too much sugar in your diet.

Huge Yorkshire puddings to have with the dinner

Best recipe is equal quantities of everything. Say, one cup eggs, one cup flour, one cup milk and beat the living daylights out of it.

French toast in the morning for a nice change

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

Omelette

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

The BBE dates on eggs are very conservative. Don't throw them out on Tuesday! Shake them, and if the yolk is moving around in the middle (you'll feel a rattle) then prob don't eat them. But otherwise they should be fine to eat.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭jelliebellie

thanks guys! dont have a pasta maker :(
    forgot about pancakes! will make some this evening i think.
    oooh yum, looking forward to them already :p
    and maybe some egg salad or hard boiled eggs for lunch tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭jendafer1

Agree about the use by date on eggs. Usually you'll find they havent gone off at all - but an excellent tip is to fill a tall glass with water, place the egg into the glass. If the egg sinks to the bottom its fine. If it rises to the top its gone off. If its somewhere in the middle, then its on the way to going off. Its something to do with the amount of air thats in the egg which is proportional to its freshness!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Whopping great quiche.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 derekthedoggie

loving italian roast veg with goats cheese lately

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

I've eaten eggs well past they're consumption date. To check them I usually fill a large glass with water, if the egg floats = it's rotten and not safe. But if the egg sits on the bottom of the glass, well it's perfectly safe and still fresh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭squeakyduck

Bake a few cakes, or buns and as others have said omlettes and pancakes...Breakfast is gonna be fun for you! :P

• Advertisement
Advertisement