Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

and miles to go before I sleep...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭hollypink

Thurs 2/5 10.34 miles

Long run today for two reasons; firstly I ate way too much yesterday so an attempt to offset that slightly :o and secondly as I'm doing the Lexilip 5k and have other stuff on over the weekend, I probably won't get another chance for a long run this week. I had no distance in mind, just planned to run until I felt a bit tired or fed-up or was going to be hopelessly late for work. It was a lovely morning and the park looked beautiful so I really enjoyed myself, even running up the Khyber. A great way to start the day. I'm slightly surprised at how easy it was to do 10 miles, hopefully I don't end up paying for it but I feel fine right now.

I passed a woman running in what looked like flip flops but with a strap going around the back of the ankle and was a bit :eek: but it occurred to me later that maybe they are a type of minimalist running shoe I haven't heard of. The rest of her clothes looked like typical running gear so it seemed a bit strange.

4/5 Le Cheile Leixlip 5k 33:17

Really enjoyed this, the usual great organisation and nice cakes. I had elected to run with my sister who finished the couch to 5k recently. Her aim was to run the whole thing without stopping to walk but with no particular time in mind. I thought I could help a little by ensuring we didnt start out too fast and just chatting to distract her. She did great, I think she had underestimated herself, as she was well able to do the whole thing without breaks and even sped up coming up to the finish line. The stewards were very encouraging all the way along and there's a lovely photo of us both smiling as we step onto the finish line. So a good day and hopefully another runner in the family :)

Missed my Tuesday run (and the gym this morning) but on the other hand I did cycle in and out of town yesterday and today as I was working in a different office. It felt really far but when I checked it was only about 4 miles each way. My bike is old and heavy and I dont cycle much so I was being constantly overtaken by other cyclists effortlessly gliding by. Still, 8 miles a day is better than nothing.

Thurs 9/5 6 miles 1:02:43

Such a long day at work, this morning's run seems like days ago. I ran before work instead of lunchtime so I could do a longer run to make up for Tuesday's missed run. The weather was rather grey and windy but the heavy rain stayed away and I kept to a trail so I had some shelter in the trees. It's more peaceful away from the roads anyway. I felt great heading to work. I just about managed to get out of work in time to go to circuit class this evening so the day started and ended well, whatever about the time in between.

I'm away at the weekend but should be back in the afternoon on Sunday so I'll do a run then, distance dependent on what shape I'm in!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

hollypink wrote: »
    Well I love Mark Kermode and Simon Mayos' film review show on BBC5 live. Also 'In Our Time' (BBC again) - they discuss topics from history, philosophy, science etc. Talking History (Newstalk) is also very interesting. I've also recently subscribed to This American Life although I haven't listened to any shows yet. That show has 2 podcasts on the Harper High School in Chicago where there was a mass shooting last year that are supposed to be very good. The RTE Documentary on One is a show I listen to occasionally; there was a great, albeit short, one on Achillhenge on the Curious Ear and another one called Message in a Bottle, both of which I'd highly recommend.

Just wanted to thank you for the recommendations, am hooked on Talking History now!
    Have you tried Freakonomics? (Sp?)

• Advertisement

Sun 12/5 7 miles.

I didn't indulge too much on food and drink while I was away but I had a dodgy stomach on Sunday afternoon anyway. I was a bit hesitant about chancing a run but I felt fine otherwise and I thought I could do with getting out so I decided to try 3 miles, hoping that I wouldn't end up having to sprint home! I left it as late in the day as possible and fortunately my stomach settled down after a few miles. At that stage, I just felt like continuing on as it was quiet and peaceful and I was enjoying my podcast of Simon Mayo interviewing JJ Abrams and Mark Kermode's review of Star Trek. (I hadn't realised Abrams will be directing the next Star Wars movie which is excellent news :) )

I noticed some stiffness in my muscles when I was doing lunges this morning; I'm a bit lazy about stretching after runs so I should probably make more of an effort.
    Just wanted to thank you for the recommendations, am hooked on Talking History now!
    Have you tried Freakonomics? (Sp?)

Ah that's great, the only thing about Talking History that I didn't like was they demolished a lot of myths about ancient history that I had in my head. Like whether there was an actual Trojan horse or a Helen of Troy who was the most beautiful woman in the world :pac: I must take a look at Freakonomics, thanks for the tip.

Tue 14/5 3 miles

Lovely sunny day, how envious I was of those who were out walking and didnt appear to be rushing back to work. I did briefly consider running before work but I was tired so sleep was the priority. Maybe on Thursday. It just means being able to do a slightly longer run, and being able to run in the park instead of the industrial estate.

I'm doing a fun run at lunchtime on Friday near where I work; last year I was being ultra careful with my diet so tried to give all my goody bag contents away after the run. I think I can afford one or two treats this year! I think it's around 3.5k but I'm just doing it as it's a good cause.

Thurs 16/5 5 miles

A gorgeous morning for a run; I was a bit reluctant to get out of bed but once I was out the door it was lovely. I'd only intended to do 3-4 miles as I had a work meeting at 9:30 to get to but I figured I'd probably have enough time. It was cold so I was glad I'd dressed warmly. It seems like it's never going to warm up out there but at least I got some vitamin D :)

Fri 17/5 fun run 2.29 miles 17:51

There was a fun run for charity in the business campus at lunchtime today. I'm not really sure what distance it's meant to be but it's for a good cause and a bit of fun and today it was a nice sunny day for it. And the goody bag has a chocolate muffin in it and they give out icecreams at the finish line :D

But the best part for me was that as I crossed the finish line, someone came up to me and said I was the second lady home and handed me a pink hoody as a prize. I know it wasn't like it was a proper competitive race or anything and there weren't a lot of people running, (most people were walking) but I was thrilled to bits :)

Now to go eat my chocolate muffin!

Tues 21/5 3.3 miles

Didn't manage to get a long run in at the weekend :( I was out for a few drinks on Friday night and was tired and slightly hungover on Saturday and had other stuff on for the remainder of Saturday and Sunday. I did cycle into town and back out on Saturday and climbed Lugnaquilla on Sunday so my legs got plenty of exercise anyway so I don't feel very guilty. I'm going to aim to get a longish run (~6 miles) on Thursday morning because I'm off on holidays at the weekend and I'll only be doing short runs while I'm away, 3 miles or so. Lovely sunny day today, I didn't need long sleeves or gloves or anything. Could winter be finally on the way out?

• Advertisement

Thurs 23/5 7.15 miles 1:13:21

I always used to say I wasnt a morning person but I've discovered in the last year that exercising first thing in the morning gives such satisfaction, once I manage to drag my reluctant body out of my cosy bed. Doubly rewarding this morning because it was beautiful and sunny during my run and it has already turned cloudy and grey and windy since I got home. My next run will be on foreign shores, literally shores because my route takes me on a clifftop walk overlooking the sea :)

26/5 4.11 miles 41:55
    27/5 4.13 miles 44:32
    29/5 4.12 miles 41:52
    30/5 4.14 miles 42:02
    31/5 4.14 miles 44:03
    1/6 6.11 miles 1:09:21
    2/6 5.15 miles 59:52

4/6 3.3 miles

I did some short runs while I was away, it was just so nice to run overlooking the sea that I went most mornings while the other sleepy heads I was on hols with stayed in bed. It was hot even though I tried to get out around 9 each morning, although not as hot as last year when there was a heatwave there! I ran at a pretty relaxed pace, mostly due to the food and drink consumed each day but the path was uneven and undulating so slow was better. I had to remind myself to take it all in, especially the last day when I took a few photos, hence the extremely slow run time.

Today it was back to Irish running; I thought the heat wouldnt phase me after my "warm weather training" and it didnt really but it was hot alright. Not complaining of course, but I think I will run in the mornings when I can, rather than lunchtime.

Fri 7/6 3.45 miles 31:49

I skipped my run yesterday, I blame post-holiday blues, which I'm also blaming for my horrendous diet since I got back, but I think I'm starting to get myself back in gear today. Was tempted to skip my circuit training class as well but I went in the end and was pleased that I did, tough though it was and hot as well.

I was thinking as I was getting ready for my run that although putting on sunscreen is a bit of a pain, how lovely it is to have the weather to require it. I ran my usual loop in the reverse direction to normal, which felt strange. It's funny how you don't always notice inclines when you're descending but you really notice them on the ascent!

Sat 8/6 7.13 miles 1:24:38

Felt absolutely exhausted going for this run. I slept badly the night before (heat I think) and even putting on my running gear was a slog. I really didnt know if I'd manage even 3 miles but I set off slowly and hoped I'd get a second wind. I had to stop a couple of times to catch my breath and wait for my heart rate to drop. It just felt like an effort the whole way around, where normally I'd be very comfortable at that pace. Still, I didnt feel I needed to turn back so it cant have been too bad, and I was grand when I got back home. Fab weather, I will gladly sacrifice some sleep to have all this sun!

Tue 11/6 3.3 miles

Thurs 13/6 3.42 miles 30:30

I found Tuesday's run somewhat hard-going, like Saturday but felt really great today, full of energy. The sky looked distinctly murky today and my initial girly thought was that it would ruin my freshly washed hair but I pushed that thought firmly aside. As it happened, it didn't rain at all.

Because I run at lunchtimes, when I emerge from the changing room in my running gear, I often get comments from work colleagues about how great I am and how I'm putting them to shame etc. etc. and shaking their heads at my dedication or fanaticism possibly. Today I had someone asking how far I run and listing the other exercise I do in a tone of wonder. No matter how often I say that I enjoy running and it's therefore no hardship or any big deal, I can see people don't really believe me. Obviously some runs are less enjoyable than others, and sometimes before I head off, it does feel like a bit of a chore that I wouldn't mind skipping but in general it's rewarding and I never regret a run once it's over :)

Sat 15/6 Tulfarris tough 10 mile 1:22:46

Having spotted this race on boards and lured by the promise of a scenic route and a bit of a challenge, I decided to enter. Then last Saturday's run, during which I felt so drained, gave me pause for thought and I wondered if I'd bitten off more than I could chew. I haven't done much hill training and I haven't done many runs longer than 7 miles this year.

This was, as promised, a scenic route. The start was on a narrow road and I'd taken a position at the back so the first mile was pleasantly slow (8:57), which I think helped later with my pace as I didnt go out too fast. I was surprised by how strong I felt on the undulating course, somehow as each hill started to feel tough, it ended and there was a lovely decline to help catch my breath. I wasn't slavishly looking at my watch but when I did, I noticed my pace was under an 8 min/mile which seemed a little fast but I just wanted to run on feel, and if I had to slow down, what harm.

Passing a few people every once in a while was a good confidence boost. I remember starting to feel tired around 7 miles and reminding myself that 3 miles was just my lunchtime run. There was a guy a little ahead of me as we reached the final uphill drag somewhere between 8 and 9 miles, and we both slowed a bit. As we got to the top, the steward shouted something encouraging and then said to me "he's easy meat, you can take him", So seeing as it appeared to be downhill from there, I pushed a little harder and passed him and told myself to just keep going, keep going. And at last, there was the turn for the Tulfarris hotel and then the finish line was in sight and I could hear my name being called out and then I was over the line, breathless but delighted.

Lovely watermelon, bananas, orange segments and fruit cake was a welcome reward. A great race, well organised and friendly and a genuine pleasure having the opportunity to run such a scenic route.

Tues 18/6 4.23 miles 42:23

I knew I wouldnt have an opportunity for a lunchtime run at lunchtime so headed off early this morning instead. Beautiful morning for running. My quads were a little achey from Saturday but I felt fine otherwise.

Thurs 20/6 5.1 miles 49:38

And yet another lovely early morning run. I'd only planned on 3-4 miles but it was one of those mornings when the park was quiet and peaceful and I had the path all to myself (practically) so going half a mile further seemed the right thing to do.

Sat 22/6 9.07 miles 1:30:32

A bit windy this morning and overcast so not too many people out running, which I quite like. I wouldnt say I was bursting with energy but I wasn't particularly tired either and the podcast was good so I extended my run to take in the Kyber. I was focused on an interview with Michael Douglas about his Liberace film so I was at the top before I noticed.

Tue 25/6 4.22 miles 41:16

I'm enjoying going for a run before work instead of at lunchtime - it means I have time to do a slightly longer run and it's nice being out and about in the morning. The only thing is that some sunny morning, I'll be sorely tempted to just stay in the park for the day instead of heading to the office!

• Advertisement

Thurs 27/6 6.7 miles 1:03:19

I'm away for the weekend so I did a sort of long run this morning. My legs are a bit stiff, which I found strange as it was shorter than my recent long runs but maybe I went a little faster than usual unintentionally because I needed to get back home and get ready for work. My average pace was 9'31" and I see mile 4 was under a 9 min/mile and mile 5 was 9'14". I felt my usual sense of peace in the quiet stillness of the park, if only I could bottle it and carry it around with me!

I'm going to bring my running gear in the hope of getting a run in while I'm away. I saw on google maps that there's a park quite close by but although I'm staying with family, I think that maybe under the circumstances, it might not go down well if I go off and do my own thing, even if it's only for less than an hour. So I'll have to play it by ear.

Sat 29/6 3.49 miles 32:46

Since there were no raised eyebrows about my going for a run while I was away, off I went on Saturday morning. We'd walked some of the route the previous evening so I knew where I was going. The park was very close to the house and has lots of twists and turns and trees and a big lake so I had a lovely run; it's so interesting to run somewhere different for a change.

Tues 2/7 3.48 miles 32:53

A bit of a tough run today. I felt very tired, legs were heavy. Maybe I haven't recovered from all the travelling (planes, trains and automobiles) at the weekend; I was still tired getting up this morning after 8 hours sleep :( I've started following a new diet and fitness program and the first 2 weeks are low-ish carb so that could be taking a bit of a toll but it's only day 2 so hopefully not or I'll be on the floor by day 14!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

What's the reasoning behind the diet? Fitness or weight loss?

What's the reasoning behind the diet? Fitness or weight loss?

Weight loss. I don't have much to lose but my weight has been creeping up in the last couple of months and some clothes are a bit too tight :(

Thurs 4/7 3.41 miles 32:29

Much better run today, felt fine throughout. Legs were a bit stiff from squats in Tuesday's circuit class but nothing troublesome. I guess it's been a while since I did weighted squats.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

hollypink wrote: »
    I've started following a new diet and fitness program and the first 2 weeks are low-ish carb so that could be taking a bit of a toll but it's only day 2 so hopefully not or I'll be on the floor by day 14!

Its not the south beach diet is it? Im always wary of low carb plans, especially for athletes. I mean if you're doing a photo shoot for vanity fair in a few months then low carbs will definitley strip you down. But photoshoot aside, I think its crazy to mess about low carbing it. Under 150g per day for more than 3 days induces ketosis, which leads to kidney damage(and all sorts of other eh, bowel related issues). Usually these plans call for a few days of very low carb intake and then theres a maintenance phase. But I just think if you're a runner its nuts to mess around with those type of diets, theyre designed for people who arent so active. The best thing to do is to just eat clean, which is a long term lifestyle choice as opposed to a "diet" that is doomed to failure. Just dont eat junk food, cut out the alcohol and soft drinks, and eat whole natural foods(even if they are high in carbs). Trust me together with running you'll lose weight that way. Oh and resistance training aswell to bulid muscle as muscle burns fat at an accelerated rate.

Ah no, it's not south beach. It's just a program from a PT. It's not very low carb as there are plenty of veggies and berries so I'm getting around 70g of carbs each day, with lots of protein and fats. I don't think 2 weeks of that will do me any harm, and then natural carbs are reintroduced (oats, potatoes, rice, quinoa etc.). I am a bit of a carb addict, I could eat a LOT of bread or bagels at one sitting, and as for cakes and chocolate... I did 2 weeks like this last year and I found it helpful in getting started with clean eating.

I do agree with you about eating whole natural foods and avoiding junk food and that's where this plan is going (I think! That's where I intend to go anyway!) but I feel I need the discipline of following a plan just now.

I do find discussions on nutrition like this one interesting. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=81253458

And thanks for calling me an athlete! In my head, I'm a jogger :)

Sat 6/7 9.08 miles 1:31:35

Out of bed bright and early to get this run done before it got too hot. Also I have stuff on today, it's funny how we can get in a panic planning picnics/bbqs/beer garden sessions to make the most of fine weather! I lashed on sunscreen, grabbed my sunglasses and out the door...and found it was rather cloudy and overcast. I thought, no harm as long as it gets sunny in a few hours, and indeed it has :) So it was agreeably cool for the run. In my haste I forgot my mp3 player and decided to keep going without it. It was quiet out, just the odd runner or cyclist or someone walking a dog.

No problems with this run, started to feel tired at 7 miles but only a little. I hadn't intended to do more than 5/6 miles so happy with how it went. And now time to prepare for a picnic!

Tues 9/7 3.5 miles

Thurs 11/7 5.18 miles 53:14

I find myself waking early this week, due to the heat I imagine. So it's been quite easy to jump out of bed, get dressed and head out into the cool morning air, whereas normally I wake to the alarm from a heavy sleep and drowsily debate the competing merits of my comfy bed versus that of an early morning run. The park seemed intact today after Jason Timberlake, I hope the weekend concerts have the same result.

• Advertisement

Sat 13/7 8.41 miles 1:22:40

Tues 16/7 ~3 miles

Thurs 18/7 ~6.5 miles 1:09:39

Nice long run at the weekend, I was over in the west and to extend my route, I headed down a quiet side road I haven't been down since I was a child. I think it eventually ends up in the bog where we used to save turf but I didn't go that far. They are supposed to be building one of those looped walks there in the next year or two which will be great for runs. It was interesting to train somewhere without knowing what was around each corner and it was nice and quiet with practically no cars and thankfully no cross dogs!

Tuesday's run was at lunchtime but the heat wasn't too bad. Today I went out before work and it was reasonably cool. I was glad I'd hauled myself out of bed early to get it done when I felt the heat at lunchtime! I left my charger behind at the weekend so just guessed at the distance from a previous run.

Advertisement