Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

and miles to go before I sleep...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭hollypink

Plan: Week 3/12

Monday rest
    Tuesday 3 miles
    Wednesday 4 miles
    Thursday 3 miles
    Friday rest
    Saturday 6 miles
    Sunday Rest

Just putting down my plan for this week, doesn't look too bad!

Tues 28/1 ~3 miles

How difficult to leave the warm office today! It took some time for me to warm up, especially my hands but once I did, I was quite content, despite the unavoidable puddles and consequent wet socks. I forgot my watch but I know the distance by now and it wasn't a pace run so I didn't need it. The watch can be a bit of a distraction anyway.

Wed 29/1 4.05 miles 37:01
    av. pac. 9:13

This wasn't supposed to be a pace run but I just noticed that it wasn't far off one. The knowledge that I was going to be late back to work from lunch must have subconsciously urged me on. The lashing rain had eased off almost completely and I had most of the park to myself.

Thurs 30/1 3.26 miles 30:20

Sunshine and even blue skies at last! Even if it's shortlived, it made a change from the dull greyness this week. It's definitely doing me good to get out of the office at lunchtimes, but I'm finding running on 3 consecutive days a little tiring, even though the distances are short. But I guess that's part of the training plan.

Sat 1/2 6.47 miles 1:05:13

Avg pace 10:04 min/mile

The tiredness and general seediness from a few drinks and a relatively late night were dispelled in an instant when the howling wind hit me this morning. The podcast in my headphones was barely audible over it but it was a very welcome distraction from the horrible weather. I couldn't wait to turn for home but I did make the effort to extend the distance slightly from last week by just under half a mile. The funny thing is, I didn't even consider not going or cutting it short. A few other runners out, reminding me that although the conditions weren't pleasant, they weren't so very tough.

I forgot to charge my running watch so I used the endomondo app on my phone which is hopefully reasonably accurate. It draws a nice little map of the route anyway. You can see which direction the wind was blowing from my lap times:
    10:37
    10:36
    10:19
    9:35
    9:19

• Advertisement

Plan: Week 4/12

Monday rest
    Tuesday 3 miles
    Wednesday 4 miles pace
    Thursday 3 miles
    Friday rest
    Saturday 7 miles
    Sunday Rest

Tue 4/2 3.29 miles 29:27

Av. pace 9'05"

I had the opportunity to run in the Phoenix Park today, a bit of a treat so even though I was on my bike instead of the car, I somehow managed to bring my laptop, work clothes, towels, toiletries and running gear (and my lunch!).I'm glad I invested in a pannier bag. Perfect day for it, cold and dry so I enjoyed myself, and the wind and rain that appeared this evening made me glad I didn't wait till after work. Pace run tomorrow so fingers crossed I'll manage it!

Wed 5/2 4.09 miles 35:33

av. pace 8:49

lap 1: 8:21
    lap 2: 8:32
    lap 3: 9:08
    lap 4: 8:40

This run was tough. Of course, that's undoubtedly because my pace was too fast as it was supposed to be 9:05 min/mile. While lap 3 appears spot on, in reality that time is only because I had to stop and catch my breath at one point! I'm sure I'll eventually get the hang of it. I saw a few trees down in the park and one of the paths was completely closed as the lake had flooded, so I had to take a detour there. I spent a lot of time dodging pools of water, not entirely successfully. Another mistake I made was wearing two tops, which is fine for my normal runs but today, I was boiling! I must try to remember that for the next pace run (which is not for 2 weeks, yay!).

Thurs 6/2 3.23 miles 32:19
    Av pace 10:10

I couldn't manage to squeeze in a lunchtime run today, and it was such a lovely crisp, dry day. I did get to cycle into the office at lunchtime to compensate, although I can't get lost in my thoughts when I'm on the bike as I have to concentrate on the road! I did consider postponing the run till tomorrow but it wasn't quite dark when I got home so off I went. Yes a grand stretch in the evenings! Traffic was in a total knot around Ashtown gate, I was glad I wasn't stuck in my car.

Sat 8/2 7.35 miles 2:16:08

Av pace 10:31

lap times:

11:37
    11:00
    10:30
    10:13
    10:05
    9:45
    9:35

As the lap times show, it was yet another windy day, thankfully with the wind on my back as I headed home. I didn't enjoy this one as much as usual, because of the conditions rather than any tiredness, which was good after a tough week exercise wise.

Plan: Week 5/12

Monday rest
    Tuesday 3 miles
    Wednesday 4 miles
    Thursday 3 miles
    Friday rest
    Saturday 8 miles
    Sunday Rest

Tue 11/2 3.26 miles 33:06

Easy enough week this week, same mileage for the mid-week runs as the past two weeks, and no pace runs. It's very cold out, but lovely for running, especially with sunshine and blue skies and no wind.

• Advertisement

Wed 12/2 4 miles (treadmill 6.5 km, 1.5% gradient)

Very busy at work so no lunchtime run, but with the stormy weather building, it probably wouldnt have been a good idea anyway. By the time I got home, the wind was very bad so I knew my options were to either postpone or treadmill. I'm lucky to have access to a little gym in the next building over although I rarely use it. Time seems to slow down when I'm on the treadmill, and watching tv doesn't seem to help. How do people train for marathons on them at all? I had it in my head that 1.5% gradient was roughly like outdoor running so I selected that. I ran mostly at 9-10k/hr, increasing to 12.5 towards the end as the gym was due to close soon, although I've no idea how accurate the machines are. It was great to have the option, I'm feeling good that I got a run in. And I heard that apartments just up the road, along the route I usually run, were structurally damaged and some people evacuated, which is awful for them.

Thurs 13/2 3.2 miles 32:56

Ah more wind. I felt at times like I was running on the spot! But it was nice to be running outside again. My hamstrings were a bit stiff today, I suppose from not being used to the treadmill.

Tue 18/2 3.23 miles 33:07

My long run went by the wayside because of a college assignment that I'd left till the last minute, procrastination being a problem of mine. If I'm honest I could have fitted it in but I felt guilty about taking the time away from studying. I'm not sure what to do at the weekend, the plan has a 5k race down so I'd thought I'd do a park run but maybe a long run is more important. I could do both, race on Sat and long run on Sunday but I'm not sure I could fit in both, with other stuff on. I nearly missed today's run too, as I had no time at lunchtime but managed to get it done when I got home from work.

Plan: Week 6/12

Monday rest
    Tuesday 3 miles
    Wednesday 4 miles pace
    Thursday 3 miles
    Friday rest
    Saturday 5K Race
    Sunday Rest

Wed 19/2 4.09 miles 34:35 av. pace 8:34

lap times:
    8:13
    8:18
    8:38
    8:38

A pace run that I was really happy with :) I really didn't think I'd be writing those words. I felt good throughout, not comfortable but not struggling and at no point did I feel I needed to stop or to consciously slow down. I'm sure it helped that conditions were perfect, which is a big change from the past few weeks; barely any wind, no rain and no puddles to dodge around. I wonder if the absolute mountain of carbs that I consumed at the weekend also contributed. But hopefully it's partially due to training paying off.

Thu 20/2 3.31 miles 33:51

Av. pace 10:20

Really feeling it in my calves from yesterday so took it nice and easy today. I probably am not stretching enough, I haven't done any yoga in a while so may need to rectify that. Circuit training later, hope it's a bit easier than Tuesday!

Sat 22/2 9.15 miles 1:35:49

av. pace 10:31

In the end I went with the long run instead of the 5k race. I thought increasing my mileage might be a bit more important. I found it tougher than previous long runs, and it wasn't the increased distance because I was tired from the beginning. Maybe tough is too strong a word though because I didn't struggle at any stage or feel any need to cut it short and turn back. The energy of previous Saturdays just wasn't there and I felt the absence of it. I was intending on doing 8 miles, not 9 but I underestimated the route. I caught up with the tail end of the Operation Transformation 5k in the glen; I hope it doesn't sound patronising but it was good to see so many people out and it sounded like there was plenty of enthusiasm.

I went for a walk later and a wave of weariness washed over me but some food and the rugby in the pub revived me, despite the match result! I rewarded myself with some Death by Chocolate for dessert, surely all this training allows me to have treats 'occasionally' (ahem).

Edit: on the podcast I was listening to during my run, Mark Kermode was lavishing praise on the Lego movie, so I went to see it yesterday and sure enough...everything is AWESOME :D

Plan for this week (half way there) :)

Plan: Week 7/12

Monday rest
    Tuesday 3 miles
    Wednesday 5 miles
    Thursday 3 miles
    Friday rest
    Saturday 9 miles
    Sunday Rest

Tue 25/2 3.26 miles 29:46

Av pace 9:13

More running in the wind and rain but the hard part was getting out of the car. I felt good, even managed a little sprint towards the end. It's going to be tricky getting 5 miles done tomorrow as I won't have much time because of work but maybe in the evening.

Wed 26/2 5.00 miles 51:02

Av. pace 10:20

Very frustrating to see what a lovely sunny day it was and not be able to go for a run until I got home from work when it was dark and I was hungry and tired. I did get to cycle into work which was good, although the wind on the way back made me quite grumpy. I managed to push myself out the door and get it done by reminding myself that if I postponed, I'd really struggle to fit it in tomorrow. So not one of those days when I was full of the joys of running but 'tomorrow is another day' :)

Thurs 27/2 3.83 miles 38:55
    av pace 10:10

I cycled into the office again today, which was about 3.5 miles there and 5 miles home (longer but more pleasant route). I was extremely tired when I got home, and presumably the cycling contributed even though the mileage was small and I do cycle similar distances on weekends without any issues. I think if it had been raining, I'd have bailed on the run and collapsed on the couch but it was so temptingly sunny that I had no excuse. It was just lovely out, despite my lack of energy. I'm glad today is a rest day, I plan on doing nothing energetic at all.

• Advertisement

Sat 1/3 9.03 miles 1:36:01

Av. pace 10:42

I really needed an early night last night and a good sleep but unusually, I slept very badly, waking several times. I normally like to get my Saturday run done early but I didn't manage to get my ass out of bed and out to door till well after 11. I was expecting to really struggle because of the lack of sleep and the tiredness this week but it wasn't too bad in the end. I was listening to the usual Mark Kermode and Simon Mayo film review podcast and Simon Mayo was doing the show with pneumonia so in comparison I knew I was in good shape! Spring is here in earnest, I was dressed way too warmly for the mild weather.

Plan for this week:

Plan: Week 8/12

Monday rest
    Tuesday 3 miles
    Wednesday 5 miles pace
    Thursday 3 miles
    Friday rest
    Saturday 10 miles
    Sunday Rest

Tue 4/3 3.2 miles

Ah a few more Springlike days like today would be welcome. First run in months when I didn't need gloves. I managed to reset the run on my watch, slightly annoying as I wanted to check my average pace. Hopefully I don't do that tomorrow as it's a pace run.

Wed 5/3 5.08 miles 42:25

av. pace 8:27

lap times:
    8:14
    8:15
    8:26
    8:18
    8:25

Ill grudgingly admit that the pace runs are starting to feel less daunting but oh, the initial getting out of the car and starting isn't easy! I decided to try a short sleeved t-shirt and at the beginning, was regretting it because of the rather cold wind. I have a rhythm in my head during these pace runs, like a 1-2-3/4-6-5 count in my head but I find if I lose concentration at all, my pace drifts off as well although I'm managing to catch it reasonably quickly. Hills are undoubtedly tricky though; mile 3 and mile 5 were up a modest enough hill and both times, I slowed without feeling like I was slowing. It occurred to me that I should have done more hill work during training, as Connemara is a hilly route, although nothing too extreme. But it's hard to fit everything in. There are a few hills on my long runs but maybe I should consider incorporating Knockmaroon. I'm away this weekend so I'm going to have to try getting my LSR done on Friday morning.

/edit. I don't know if it's today's run, or a combination of that and a tough fitness class last night but ouch my glutes!

Thurs 6/3 3.2 miles 30:17

av pace 9:31

I took it easy today, feeling a bit tired. Also badly needed a run to clear my head, one of those irritating days at work.

Thurs 13/3 5.14 miles 53:34

av. pace: 10:31

I couldn't fit in a long run last weekend as I had other things planned. I did climb Croagh Patrick in the wind and rain, which was pretty tough going in those conditions and I vowed next time I climb it, it will be on a sunny day with blue skies when I can see the view from the top! But I was glad I did it, in the way overcoming tough obstacles is rewarding when they are over and you're wolfing down some hearty food in a cosy pub.

My running went pearshaped earlier this week, for no reason beyond laziness if I'm honest. Although maybe there was a bit more to it, because normally I would at least feel a pang of regret at missing a lunchtime run in the sunshine that we had earlier this week. Anyway, I got back to it this morning and headed off for a run before work in the eerie fog. I've always liked walking in fog; there's something fascinating about familiar places being rendered unfamiliar and landmarks emerging from the greyness as you get closer. A weeklong break from running didn't seem to have taken too much of a toll. I felt a bit tired but then I'm not used to getting up early!

The Saturday after next, I'm doing the Mayo mud run and I'm quite looking forward to it, as it was good craic last year although I am hoping it will be a bit warmer this year! And after that it's just two weeks to Connemara :)

Sun 6/4 Connemarathon half-marathon 1:58:18

sub 2 hours woo hoo! :) To be continued...

14/3 3.19 miles 32:59
    16/3 13.3 miles 2:32:49
    22/3 Mayo mud run 8.5km 1:43:56
    25/3 3.24 miles 28:17
    27/3 5.02 miles 48:44
    28/3 3.23 miles 31:30
    29/3 12.11 miles 2:09:47
    4/1 3.31 miles 29:58
    Sun 6/4 Connemarathon half-marathon 1:58:18

It's been a busy few weeks, between work, study and in the middle of it all, a mud run in the wilds of north Mayo, resulting in some runs from the training plan missed. I got all my LSRs in, although the 11 miler ended up being 13 due to a few wrong turns on a sparsely marked walking trail. I felt ok after the 13 mile run, a little stiff but nothing unusual, but after the 12 miler, a wave of dizziness and nausea came over me and I had to lie down for an hour or so. Most of my free time last week was taken up with a college essay so I didn't have the relaxed week with plenty of sleep that would have prepared me best for yesterday's race. I felt dog tired on the bus to Galway on Saturday but at least it meant I slept well on Saturday night.

I had as a result become philosophical about the run, in a 'let's see what happens' way. It felt like an age before we were lined up at the start line in Leenane but at last things got underway. I knew the first mile would be tricky with the crowds and the hill so I made an effort to get to a 9 min/mile pace. After that, things went well and I managed to stick to a 8:30 min/mile without too much difficulty until somewhere around mile 9. It was a struggle after that, and the hell of the west was very difficult. I plodded to the top, glanced at my watch and saw sub 2 hours was still within my grasp, if I stuck to 10 min miles to the finish, although I'm not sure how well my brain was working at that point! I thought this would be the easy bit, but my god, the wind was unforgiving. As I approached the finish line, I could hear the announcer urging runners on to get in under 2 hours so I pushed myself as hard as I could, watching the clock tick down the seconds from 1:59 as I ran towards it and at last passed the line with 1:59:34 on the clock.

I was very stiff afterwards and my sister had a good laugh at me hobbling towards her in the cathedral carpark but I was so delighted with myself. I found the conditions so tough but it seems the training plan delivered :) I must remember for the future to do more hill training. Oh also, not to leave college assignments to the last flipping minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭SamforMayo

Well done, I have only spotted this log now. What s your next target?

• Advertisement

SamforMayo wrote: »
    Well done, I have only spotted this log now. What s your next target?

Thanks! Good question, haven't given a thought to the next target. I'll have to mull it over :)

Advertisement