Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

and miles to go before I sleep...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭hollypink

My right calf hasn't felt quite right since yesterday, it's not painful exactly but I decided not to run today just in case. It was a pity as it was such a lovely sunny day when I woke up.

I did some yoga instead using an mp3 of a guided vinyasa flow session and it was a little difficult to follow at times (what are airplane arms?) but I felt good afterwards.

I was reading about running technique as I think mine isn't great. I saw in the thread in the main a/r/t forum about preventing injuries that a strong core was important but I think my core strength isn't bad thanks to yoga and muay thai. I do notice that I don't land lightly and my cadence is a lot less than other runners I see (although I didn't know that was called cadence till today :p ). I don't really know if I can change that though.

It's great that the days are getting longer, maybe I'll be able to get some runs in after work as that would sort out the problem of fitting in 5 mile runs at lunchtime. Of course running a bit faster would also be a solution but I have to be realistic about that :o

5.27 miles in 52:30.

My right calf still isn't feeling right and maybe I shouldn't have run at all today but I really wanted to after such as crap run on Thursday. I guess I'll know in the next day or two if that was a bad idea. I worked a little on my cadence which actually wasn't as bad as I thought anyway. I ran up the Khyber pass (I think that's what it's called) and at the top I had to sit down for a minute to recover :( which was disappointing. I'm still a bit demoralised by how slow I am, I can't see myself running the Connemarathon HM in under 2 hours the way things are going.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Chin up girl and don't let a couple of "bad" runs knock your confidence. Hope the calf is ok. Tennis ball and tiger balm works a treat on achy calfs if you can find the sore point. Check out some youtube videos for technique.

I decided not to run yesterday just to make sure my calf is recovered. At Muay Thai on Monday I could feel it a little and although I didn't think it was anything serious, I got a little paranoid when I read in the logs about other peoples' injuries. I went to yoga yesterday and felt fine and still do so I'm going to go for a run this evening. Fingers crossed all will be well.

3.63 miles in 35:04. avg 9:39 min/mile

Group run this evening which was good, I should have done 4 miles according to the HM plan but close enough. I felt good and didn't mind the rain and muck too much!

I decided to go for gait analysis and get new runners as I realised last night my runners are a few years old and pretty worn. Maybe they are contributing to my recent aches and pains, and then again maybe not but in any case it's time for new ones. I hope it doesn't work out too expensive :o

• Advertisement

Good call - where are you heading for it? My only advice is head to a place that stocks most brands of shoes and not just Asics.

shazkea wrote: »
    Good call - where are you heading for it? My only advice is head to a place that stocks most brands of shoes and not just Asics.

Thanks for the advice! I'm going to Amphibian King in Bray - that's where I got my last running shoes (which happened to be Asics actually but they did get me to try a few different brands). They asked me to bring my old runners - hope they don't comment on the state they're in :)

Ah good, only reason I mention it is that last few places I went had a limited range and I kinda feel like they just stuck me in asics because they had nothing else. I think this may be part of my problem. I plan on making a trip out to bray once I'm back on my feet again so let me know how you get on.

Ah good, only reason I mention it is that last few places I went had a limited range and I kinda feel like they just stuck me in asics because they had nothing else. I think this may be part of my problem. I plan on making a trip out to bray once I'm back on my feet again so let me know how you get on.

I got my gait analysis done this morning and the guy said my feet were rolling inwards when I ran, more so my right foot. It was good - he filmed me running on a short track, firstly barefoot and then with a few different running shoes to see how they corrected it. He pretty much said my current runners were in bits, although he was more technical about it :p

I tried a pair of New Balance which I didn't particularly like although I'm not sure exactly why. I think it was something to do with the arch support. Then I tried a pair of Saucony and finally the new version of my existing Asics. The guy commented that the Saucony and Asics seemed best at correcting the rolling inwards. I decided to go for the Saucony's in the end - I know this is a very trivial and slightly girly criterion on which to buy any product but the Asics had a bit of pink in them and I don't particularly like pink (yes I know my username might suggest otherwise ;)). So I now have a nice new pair of running shoes to get mucky :)

They had one of those Vibram 5 finger shoes on display - they are quite ugly really!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

hollypink wrote: »
    I got my gait analysis done this morning and the guy said my feet were rolling inwards when I ran, more so my right foot. It was good - he filmed me running on a short track, firstly barefoot and then with a few different running shoes to see how they corrected it. He pretty much said my current runners were in bits, although he was more technical about it :p

I tried a pair of New Balance which I didn't particularly like although I'm not sure exactly why. I think it was something to do with the arch support. Then I tried a pair of Saucony and finally the new version of my existing Asics. The guy commented that the Saucony and Asics seemed best at correcting the rolling inwards. I decided to go for the Saucony's in the end - I know this is a very trivial and slightly girly criterion on which to buy any product but the Asics had a bit of pink in them and I don't particularly like pink (yes I know my username might suggest otherwise ;)). So I now have a nice new pair of running shoes to get mucky :)

They had one of those Vibram 5 finger shoes on display - they are quite ugly really!

I'm the exact same. I'm all about the colour! :rolleyes:
    I'm in line to get a new pair of runners myself. I have kayonos 16s and I think they are heavy. Might try to get something lighter (but similar). And in a nice colour of course! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

jcsmum wrote: »
    Ditto, anything BUT pink! Seeing the shoe displays at the Women's Mini-Marathon expo last year nearly made me throw up. Very happy with my silver and dark blue Wave Inspires though.

jcsmum wrote: »
    I'm in line to get a new pair of runners myself. I have kayonos 16s and I think they are heavy. Might try to get something lighter (but similar). And in a nice colour of course! :D
    Ditto, anything BUT pink! Seeing the shoe displays at the Women's Mini-Marathon expo last year nearly made me throw up. Very happy with my silver and dark blue Wave Inspires though.

Haha glad it's not just me then!

3.33 miles (ish) in 29:27

Ran today with a friend who has a slightly faster pace, which is good as it pushes me a bit but I did find it a bit tough keeping up. I've envious of other posters who casually record in their log that they did 'an easy 5 miles in 9min/mile pace' or similar. My nice new runners are now splashed with mud, that didn't take long! I was supposed to break them in on a treadmill first but I really wanted to try them out. They were pretty comfortable so hopefully I'll notice a difference when I go for a 6 mile run at the weekend. I think I'll do that on Sunday as the Operation Transformation 5k is on tomorrow so the Park will be busy.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

I've envious of other posters who casually record in their log that they did 'an easy 5 miles in 9min/mile pace' or similar.

Don't worry, we're busy envying the people who go out 'just to stretch their legs, ten miles at 7 min pace...' :D
    The great thing about running is that once you're training a bit more and pushing yourself that bit harder, you'll see the results soon enough. And you'll be able to look back at your old logs and be amazed that you were finding 10 minute miles hard...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭maria74

10 min miles...hmmmm...green envy!;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

My nice new runners are now splashed with mud, that didn't take long! I was supposed to break them in on a treadmill first but I really wanted to try them out. They were pretty comfortable so hopefully I'll notice a difference when I go for a 6 mile run at the weekend. I think I'll do that on Sunday as the Operation Transformation 5k is on tomorrow so the Park will be busy.

Hopefully the new runners will help sort any niggles you have. I had to get a new pair last week and along with a pretty painful physio experience the legs have been pretty good all week. :)

There are a few of us running in the park in the morning if you fancied joining us for your 6 miles. Myself and RK are starting from the Papal Cross carpark at 9am for an hour (6miles) and looping around to pick up a few others at 10am (back at the car park) for another 12 if either of those times suited you. (We both have 18 to do - absolutely gluten for punishment!!)

claralara wrote: »
    Hopefully the new runners will help sort any niggles you have. I had to get a new pair last week and along with a pretty painful physio experience the legs have been pretty good all week. :)

There are a few of us running in the park in the morning if you fancied joining us for your 6 miles. Myself and RK are starting from the Papal Cross carpark at 9am for an hour (6miles) and looping around to pick up a few others at 10am (back at the car park) for another 12 if either of those times suited you. (We both have 18 to do - absolutely gluten for punishment!!)

Oops bit late replying. That would be good actually, although I probably wont be able for your pace so would prob have to drop back at some point :o I was planning on a route that when past the Papal Cross carpark anyway so will try to catch ye at 9 and sure if I miss ye no worries.

7.86 miles :) in 1:18:55

So I joined claralara and rainbow kirby for the first hour of their 18 mile :eek: run and my planned 6 miles somehow turned into nearly 8, which is great as it's the longest I've run since last summer. I felt fairly okay until just after mile 7 when we came to a hill and I just had to drop back and walk for a bit. But when I caught my breath, I managed to jog slowly back to my car so not too bad all in all. I didn't envy the girls with another 10 miles to do I can tell you but they looked like it wouldn't be a bother to them.

7.86 miles :) in 1:18:55

So I joined claralara and rainbow kirby for the first hour of their 18 mile :eek: run and my planned 6 miles somehow turned into nearly 8, which is great as it's the longest I've run since last summer. I felt fairly okay until just after mile 7 when we came to a hill and I just had to drop back and walk for a bit. But when I caught my breath, I managed to jog slowly back to my car so not too bad all in all. I didn't envy the girls with another 10 miles to do I can tell you but they looked like it wouldn't be a bother to them.

Ah it was a little bit of a bother but we got there! :) Lovely to meet you today, hopefully you'll join us again. Well done on a good run. You were right to take the few minutes and catch your breath and you finished really strong as we were heading off again (for whatever mad reason I'm doing this to myself!!:confused:)

Sorry about that earlier! As you've clearly noticed, route planning is not my strong point at all. :eek:

Still a good solid run to get in though, you'll be fine for the half as long as you are consistent with your training between now and then.

claralara wrote: »
    Ah it was a little bit of a bother but we got there! :) Lovely to meet you today, hopefully you'll join us again. Well done on a good run. You were right to take the few minutes and catch your breath and you finished really strong as we were heading off again (for whatever mad reason I'm doing this to myself!!:confused:)

Thanks, good to meet ye also, I'm sure I'll be along again. If I finished strong, it was only because I was getting close to my beloved car that was going to transport me home to my couch! :D

• Advertisement

Sorry about that earlier! As you've clearly noticed, route planning is not my strong point at all. :eek:

Haha no problem at all - it did occur to me when we turned off Chesterfield Avenue that it would be longer than 6 miles but I thought the extra distance would only be a good thing (which it was).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Well done on your run today hollypink...Unfortunately, you have fallen into bad company ;)

digger2d2 wrote: »
    Well done on your run today hollypink...Unfortunately, you have fallen into bad company ;)

Wouldn't be saying that now, she hasn't run with you yet :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

digger2d2 wrote: »
    Wouldn't be saying that now, she hasn't run with you yet :pac:

Guilt by association ;) I hope she likes bananas :D

Mon: rest day
    Tue: yoga
    Wed: swimming

The niggles in my legs from last week haven't gone away despite my best efforts to pretend they aren't there :rolleyes: and it feels like it's my shins so on Monday I decided to only do low impact exercise for a few days and hopefully it will go. I've also had an ache in my upper back for a day or two, no idea what from so between the two things, I've been feeling a bit grumpy and irritated this week :o But swimming was an excellent idea - I haven't been swimming in several months so I really enjoyed it. My technique isn't great but I was swimming next to a lane with some little old ladies doing slow breaststroke so I felt like I was flying along :D I was taken aback in the changing room afterwards when the same old ladies started joking about FM boots and giggling!

My first run in a week and a half this evening. I was really hoping I wouldn't feel anything in my shins and my left leg was perfect but my right didn't feel as good as I'd hoped :mad: But it wasn't very bothersome at all and it was such a lovely evening so I kept going and jogged very slowly and gently for about 3 miles. After a mile or so both legs felt fine. When I got home I did a yoga session ('yoga for runners' on youtube) to make sure I stretched properly.

I'm a bit worried about Connemara now after taking this break - oh well, can't be helped. It occurred to me that I could defer my entry to next year but I missed the date for that. I'm going for a proper run tomorrow so fingers crossed that goes ok.

Just catching up now! How are the new runners going for you?

Hopefully the run will go well for you this evening and you'll be back on track for Conn.

3.3 miles in 30:15.

Beautiful day for a run, blue skies and sunshine, birds singing. And best of all no problems with my legs :) A good start to the week.
    Just catching up now! How are the new runners going for you?

Hopefully the run will go well for you this evening and you'll be back on track for Conn.

shaz, very happy with the new runners so far although I haven't done a lot of running since I got them so time will tell. I'm not sure how successful I'll be at getting back on track for Connemara but sure I'll give it a go.

Track session tonight. Some of the group were going for a normal run so I could have done that instead but I've never done a track session before so I wanted to try it. 1/2 mile warmup first, then some stretching, and then 8 or 9 laps; 150m at slightly faster than normal running pace then 150m recovery. (or something like that). Maybe I wasn't pushing myself hard enough :o or maybe it was just the novelty of it but I actually quite enjoyed myself! I need to try to fit in a 3-4 mile run tomorrow though. And am really not sure what distance to go for at the weekend. My training plan says 8 miles so I'm tempted to try it (v. slowly!).

I have DOMS everywhere from getting back into my exercise routine this week (mostly from muay thai on Monday!) but that's not a bad thing at all!

• Advertisement

And am really not sure what distance to go for at the weekend. My training plan says 8 miles so I'm tempted to try it (v. slowly!).

You'll be well able for 8. It's less than a mile on what you did a couple of weeks ago. An extra 7 minutes max I'd say.. Go out and take it easy and enjoy it. You're still well on track for Connemara. :)

Advertisement