Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

and miles to go before I sleep...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭hollypink

Le Chéile Leixlip 5k

When my alarm rudely woke me this morning, I wasn't feeling over eager get out of bed and run a 5k race. I was a little nervous as I hadn't done this race before and I thought the pace would be very fast. There were some very dark clouds gathering when I arrived in Leixlip and I was a bit doubtful that the rain would hold off but it actually did and the sun was shining at the finish.

I took my place at the back and very soon we were off. I found myself passing a few people which gave me some confidence and my pace for the first 2km was just under 5mins/km. The course was pretty flat apart from a bit of a hill in the first km. I slowed a little after about 3k but managed to keep a decent pace. The race marshals were friendly and encouraging, which was nice.

As I entered the race track for the lap to the finish line, the commentator was calling out runners names, and I did like hearing my name :) I passed the finish line with I think 26:04 on the clock which is a PB for me so I was delighted with myself.

Water, bananas and chocolate at the end, and wow the cake spread looked fab. I had a piece of chocolate cake and a cup of tea and headed home feeling quite content. I'd highly recommend this race, it was well worth missing my lie-in this morning :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

excellent going, congrats on the PB :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭ILOVERED

Well done, you must be delighted with that.
    Some friends where doing this, raging I didnt now especially when I hear this! :D
    hollypink wrote: »
    The course was pretty flat apart from a bit of a hill in the first km.
    :P

3.3 miles today. I'm glad the hailstones and thunder and lightning weren't at lunchtime!

At some stage last week, I developed some pain in my calves/shins again so once the race on Saturday was over I decided to rest until they felt better. I guess I should really go to a physio, although funds are low so I was hoping I'd get away without it. Felt good during the run anyway.

I'll do an easy run over the weekend, sticking to the grass where possible.

5 miles in 54:25

Took this one very slowly especially the first couple of miles. Passed some ducks out with their ducklings on the canal, so cute! There seemed to be fewer people and cars in the Park than usual but I don't think there were any parking restrictions, at least not where I was. There were some gardaí around alright. My legs weren't bad, the left one was/is a bit niggly still. Halfway through the run I was tempted to do a longer route but I decided it would be prudent to stick to the original plan.

• Advertisement

Monday: Muay Thai. Very tough after a few weeks break, arms and legs felt a bit stiff yesterday and today

Tuesday: planned: yoga. actual: nothing :( Had to work late to meet a deadline. Hate missing yoga, I need better time management.

Today: 6.97 miles in 1:09:09

My fit4life run wasn't on tonight so I just went for my own run when I got home. I knew cars weren't being allowed into the Phoenix Park and I wasn't sure if people on foot were allowed in either but I was curious to see what it was like with all the security so over I jogged. There were gardaí at the gate but they were letting pedestrians in.

How strange the Park was, with practically no cars anywhere, gardaí everywhere and not a whole lot of other people. I normally try to avoid running along Chesterfield Avenue because it's so discouragingly long and straight but I didn't have much option this evening because of the restrictions. And I really enjoyed myself, passing the odd dog walker, jogger or cyclist, watching the Dublin Buses full of gardaí pass by and wondering if the Queen would pass (she didnt!). As it's not my normal route I didn't have any idea of distance and I wanted to do about 6 miles so I decided to run for about an hour as I'd probably be doing circa 10min/miles. Very pleased to find from mapmyrun that it was almost 7 miles :)

Lucan Harriers Tom Byrne memorial 5k - official time: 26:03 :)

It's an unintentional '5k club race' theme for me this month, with 2 done and one to go next weekend (Donore Harriers 5k). I entered the Lucan Harriers race on impulse, having seen the entry was only €12 and there were good reports on last year's thread. It's funny though because 5k probably my least favourite distance! It worked out well because with the Phoenix Park closed, I probably wouldn't have gotten a run in at all as I dislike running along the streets (I know, that's a pathetic excuse :o).

The race was excellently organised, plenty of well stewarded parking, no hassle picking up my race number and lots of encouraging marshalls along the route. The only downside was the wind really. It's a nice flat route that brought us past football matches, into a park, over a couple of footbridges as well as along the Lucan roads (as you can see I don't know Lucan at all!), and finishing with a lap of the club's track.

My race was very similar to the Le Cheile race two weeks ago - my first two kms were under 5 minutes each but then I began to flag, passing the 3k mark in just under 16 minutes. Found it tough from then, not helped by the wind but felt a bit of energy as I got onto the track. When I caught sight of the clock I sprinted to the finish, trying to get under 26 minutes but didn't quite make it. A man I passed just before the line said to me teasingly as we queued for water etc.that I shouldn't have a sprint finish like that at the end of 5k. That made me think a bit about whether I pushed myself hard enough, which is sometimes a weakness of mine.

I'll put up my time when the official results are out but it's very close to my Leixlip time. I'm happy enough with that as I was a bit worried Leixlip was a fluke, but I couldn't help but wonder if without the wind would I have gotten a PB. Ah well...

Edit: technically that was a PB as my official time for the Le Chéile run was 26:12!

6.5 miles in 1:00:35

Group run tonight and I found it pretty tough as there was no one at my pace today so pretty soon I was on my own with the gap between me and the others growing rapidly which was a bit demoralising :o Anyway I just got on with it and got myself around.

That's my last "long" run until the mini marathon; after Donore on Saturday I'm on holidays for the week and while I have the best of intentions right now, running may or may not happen :p Assuming of course the ash cloud behaves and I actually get away (fingers and toes crossed).

I didnt make the Donore run today to my disappointment but I just couldnt fit it in :( But my bags are packed and I have running gear with me so I may get in a short run or two while I am away. Hopefully the mini marathon when I get back wont be a complete disaster!

Women's mini-marathon 55:02 :)

Tantalisingly close to sub-55 but still a PB :) My previous PB for 10k was from 2007 (56:14) so I'm glad to see the times going in the right direction. It's a good course for a PB if you're in the 'runners' section (to get into that section you just have to send them proof of completion of a 10k in the past year in under 60 mins) as there isn't too much congestion, and the course is relatively flat. It got very overcast as the start time approached but it didn't rain at all.

I had to push myself to keep going at times but I could see as I passed each km marker that 54:xx was within my grasp which kept me going but in the end it wasn't to be. A good atmosphere as always and well organised.

• Advertisement

Tuesday: yoga (1 hr)
    Today: 3.3 miles (untimed, somewhere around 30 mins)

I've been taking it easy since the mini-marathon so time to get back into it. I did a 3 mile run last Thursday and no more runs till today. I've got a 10k abroad coming up next month, although I think it's more of a fun run so I'm just going to enjoy the atmosphere. Which reminds me, I must remember to enter the Irish runner 5 mile, closing date is approaching.

Had planned a 5 mile run today but I've been a bit sick since Thursday night, it's just a cold but I'm feeling pretty miserable and sorry for myself :( Hopefully I'll feel a bit better tomorrow because I'm going to Take That. I signed up for the 8-week weight loss challenge on the main forum and I've been doing ok foodwise for the past few days but right now I just want tea and cake :o

Well that was a longer break than intended but I'm back now :)

3.3 miles today (untimed). The heat was a killer, I found myself thinking longingly of the cold windy winter days! Good to be back though. 10k race on Sunday and I've entered the Irish runner 5 mile which is the following weekend. I'm not anticipating great times for either of them, especially the latter with the run up the kyber at the end!

3.5 miles.

It was grey and rainy for this run but happily the rain stopped for the 30 mins or so I was out (and immediately started again!). I'm quite looking forward to the race on Sunday, it will be a novelty running a route I'm not at all familiar with.

Sunday: 10k fun run - 1:00:41

There were around 20,000 people doing this run so to say it was congested would be an understatement! I really enjoyed it as the atmosphere was great and it was a scenic route but I found the constant weaving in and out between walkers and slower runners for the whole race a bit tiring. I'm not complaining - it was advertised as a fun run and there were no separate starting areas for different target times so it was apparent it would be congested. It was my friend's first ever race and she ran it in about 65 mins so she was delighted with herself. It was a hot, humid morning and there were bottles of water available every 2-3kms which was unexpected but welcome (I know you don't need water for a 10k but it's still nice to get it!). Lots of people were running in costume (the gingerbread man, Darth Vader and Elmo for example) which must have been a sweaty experience!

Next race is the Irish Runner 5 mile on Saturday, starting to worry a bit about the Kyber now :p I've only run up it a few times and found it tough each time.

Thursday: 3.3 miles

Saturday: Irish runner 5 mile. 45 mins approx.

I was hoping to do this in under 45 mins but my recent haphazard training and that hill at the end made me doubtful. When I woke up, I briefly contemplated skipping the race in favour of more sleep but I always feel like that before morning races. I cycled leisurely over to the park, and took up my spot in the middle of wave 2 (40-50 mins).

The first mile was very congested and I passed the mile 1 marker in 9:15 so I thought my sub-45 was gone at that stage. I started to make up time in mile 2 and 3 and thought I might be back on track but I was starting to feel uncomfortable when we hit the s-bends. There was a guy singing loudly as he ran (he had earphones on so I'm not sure if he knew he was doing it or not) and a few people were trying unsuccessfully to identify the song!

After the nice downhill bit at magazine fort, we turned onto the kyber and I had a mental battle not to stop and walk, which I just about won :). It really felt tough, undoubtedly not enough hill training done. At the top, on seeing the finish and glancing at my watch, I sped up as best I could to the finish and crossed the line feeling a bit nauseous :P I was only a few seconds off sub-45 which was a pity but it was a PB, so very happy. Previous PB for 5 miles was 46:43 last year and I think that was a short course.

3.3 miles today, it felt a bit easier than the last few lunchtime runs, I'd like to think because I'm getting fitter but really it's probably just that it was a bit cooler :p

I'm thinking of doing the race series 10 mile next month but I'm not sure yet that I'll be around. I've done it twice before with very poor preparation and really slow times so it would be satisfying to run it in a respectable time. I know I need to get back to running more regularly each week but I've been working late a lot recently which makes it difficult (not impossible of course).

3 miles today. Legs felt a bit achy, hope it goes away :( I'm going to do 5-6 miles at the weekend, probably on Sunday.

Back running after a bit of a break where I fell back into bad habits so hopefully I can keep myself motivated from here on. My plan is to build my mileage back up and run the Jingle Bells 5k and Aware 10k in December, assuming they are both on. I know I also have to lose some weight so have started improving my diet.

Tuesday: 3 miles.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Welcome back :)

• Advertisement

3 miles today.

Lovely sunny day for a run. I picked up a cap and gloves in the Lidl running sale, the warm temps wont last forever! Also got a running top and socks but fortunately there wasnt much left in my size so I wasnt tempted to spend more. Unlike the Aldi cycling stuff a few weeks ago (and I dont even cycle that much, disastrous impulse buyer :D)

I think I'll aim for 5 miles at the weekend, should be manageable if I take it easy.

After such a good start last week, I caught a bad cold and havent been up to exercising at all since Friday :( Improving slowly but not quite there yet. Stupid germs.

3 miles today with rain threatening but not quite appearing :)

Well it took a while but I'm practically over my cold. I took it very easy on today's run as I really don't want to get sick again! Thanks mostly to the easy pace, I felt pretty good.

I was out supporting the marathon on Monday, it was really inspiring watching all the runners. Part of me did think I'd like to try a marathon some time but I think my main focus for now is going to be on building up my mileage slowly.

5 miles today.

I took this at a very easy pace and really enjoyed the run. Well how could I not with such beautiful sunshine? I was out last night and didnt get in till 4 so was feeling lazy today but I knew I'd regret not getting out into the nice weather.

3 miles yesterday (Thursday).

Hmm I need to work on my consistency, no excuse for not getting out earlier in the week other than laziness to be honest. It was surprisingly mild and sunny, today is murky and wet like November usually is! I was running in the business park where I work and found myself very irritated by the way it was designed pretty much solely with cars in mind; narrow footpaths mostly even though the roads are wide and not many places to cross the road easily with all the cars flying past. Maybe I was just in a bad mood though.

5 miles done.

I'm sure the commuters who normally use Chesterfield avenue wont feel the same but due to the Phoenix Park roadworks its nice and peaceful without the cars. I felt a bit lacking in energy today, which is strange as I had a very quiet weekend.

3 miles.

I entered the Jingle Bells 5k today, first race in a while so I'm looking forward to it because it always feels Christmasy doing that run, with the cold air and the Santa hats and the bells jingling.

I'm away next weekend so I won't get any runs in until Monday so I'll make that one long(ish); well 5-6 miles! I've some time off coming up (and very little funds so won't be going away anywhere) so I can maybe use the time to take in some hills on my runs; my lunchtime runs at work are a more or less flat route and similarly for my weekend runs.

3 miles.

My will power was severely tested today when I looked out at the wind and rain but off I went for my run anyway. It wasnt particularly pleasant but good to have it done.

5 miles.

I ended up working on Monday so didn't get out for a run. Yesterday I decided to take it easy as I got a nose piercing so this morning I told myself 'no excuses' and headed out with a plan to do 3 miles and maybe trick myself into going further which worked a treat :) It's nice being out running in the park when most people are in work, it give me a smug feeling.

I think I've tempted one of my friends to do the Jingle Bells run with me, so hopefully I'll have company on the day.

• Advertisement

Time to dust off the log seeing as it's the new year. Since I last posted I did the Jingle Bells run in December (29:55). Although I was running with a friend so perhaps a little slower than normal, my time was really down to lack of training (my diet and alcohol consumption in the last few months can't have helped either :( ). I did manage a 3 mile run while I was at home over Christmas despite the horrible windy weather. I know one run isn't great but it's better than zero :)

Anyway I've signed up for the Connemarathon half again and did my first run of 2012 today; 3.3 miles.

Advertisement