Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

and miles to go before I sleep...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭hollypink

3.2 miles.

It was like Springtime today, the sun shining and lots of people out walking their dogs. I'm following the Hal Higdon training plan so the 'long' run this weekend is 4 miles.

Saturday: 5 miles
    today: 3.2 miles

Saturday's run wasn't too bad, although I did feel a bit bored at one point and was a bit sorry I didn't have my mp3 player with me. I do think it's better to run without music, even though I have no scientific basis for it, just a vague idea that it's better. The route was pretty flat overall and so are my mid-week runs so I have to start thinking about getting in some hill training. Nearly didn't run today because I was feeling lazy, but I persuaded myself that it was too sunny a day not to go and it could well be raining tomorrow and I'd regret it then.

3 miles.

very windy today but a pleasant enough run. I need to start doing yoga again though to improve my flexibility but I have to find a new class as the one I used to go to has moved to a different location.

3 miles in ~30 mins.

After several false starts with diet (and alcohol tbh :o), I decided to do a bootcamp for a few weeks and see if that would help things click into place. I started classes on the 5/3 and have been running two/three times a week too. I've only done 3 mile runs so far but planning a 5 mile for this weekend. Sure with this weather it would be criminal not to take advantage! I looked decidedly disheveled in work this afternoon after running at lunchtime but definitely not complaining.

3 miles in gorgeous sunshine followed by lunch on the grass in the park :)

• Advertisement

5 miles.

I foolishly went for my run without eating any breakfast. I was feeling a bit lacking in energy because I'm on a low carb diet for two weeks (could be psychological tbh) so decided I'd just do 3 miles. But as I entered the Phoenix Park, I was feeling good so decided to carry on with the original plan of 5 miles. All went well but felt pretty bad when I got home and had to lie down for a while :o Silly of me but happy with the run itself.

3 miles.

'twas a bit nippy today, at first I was regretting not bringing gloves. I'm starting to feel a bit fitter which is quite motivating (although at times it felt like the wind today was carrying me along rather than fitness!). My weight loss is going well too which also helps with motivation.

3 miles.

A bit warmer today thankfully! My running partner took this run at a faster pace than usual so I was struggling a little to keep up but managed not to lose her which felt good. I'll be down the country for the weekend so need to figure out a ~5 mile route. I prefer running a loop rather than the same route out and back and my usual loop when I'm there is 3 miles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Welcome back to the logs :D

Saturday - 3 miles

I came down with a cold at the weekend so just did a short run in the end. The weather was horrible, cold and wind and rain so I think doing 3 miles wasn't bad when the rest of my family were still bed or eating easter eggs or a combination of both :D I wanted to do another run yesterday but I wasn't really feeling great so thought it might make me worse. So much for exercise boosting your immune system :(

• Advertisement

3 miles.

Feeling better and seeing it was sunny outside, I thought it would be a waste not to get out for a run.

3 miles.

Felt great, even did a bit of a sprint at the end to prove to myself I had a bit more energy left :) Up till now, it's been a slow plod up the path to the car park so quite pleased. If my cold is gone by the weekend I'll aim for that 5 miles I didn't get to last weekend.

5 miles

Feeling much better and the sun was shining when I woke up so didn't have much difficulty getting up and heading out. I wanted to avoid the Great Ireland Run crowds which was an added incentive to get up and go. My run was slightly marred by a nasty motorist coming out of the cul-de-sac between Ashtown roundabout and Mountjoy cross who shouted at me about my rudeness in running in front of her car (which was stopped at the time) instead of letting her pull out :mad: Her rudeness (not to mention dangerous driving - looking back and shouting at me instead of keeping her eyes on the road in front of her) was apparently lost on her. There are days when I'd happily see all cars banned from the Phoenix Park but on reflection most motorists are very polite, slowing down/stopping to letting me and other pedestrians cross the road etc.

Anyway that incident aside, the park was buzzing with activity, with the GIR junior events starting shortly. It's a nice day for a race - dry and not particularly warm but I found that run very congested the few times I did it so it's not one I regret skipping.

My muscles are aching a bit from weight training (in a good way); I could feel the stiffness in my legs as I ran. I missed yoga this week because of the bank holiday so must get to it tomorrow evening as I find that helps.

3 miles.

Couldn't get out for a run at lunchtime as only had half an hour so resolved to head for one as soon as I got home. Was mildly tempted to sit down and have a cup of tea but resisted the temptation. In bootcamp yesterday one of the sets was sprints which I utterly hated so I decided to do a few fartleks today to get me used to running a little faster as I'm probably too used to plodding along at a steady pace.

My motivation to exercise and keep up my diet is still quite good; it helps that I'm starting to fit into clothes I haven't been able to wear for a while :) and that my running gear isn't embarrassingly tight :o

3 miles.

Had a rather irritating morning at work so it was good to get out and clear my head a bit. I've been very tired for the past few days but maybe I'm not getting enough sleep. I'm thinking of entering a couple of 5k runs next month (the Le Cheile one and the Lucan Harriers ones). I enjoyed them last year especially the way you finish on the track. Also the cakes but I probably shouldn't be thinking about cakes when I'm trying to lose weight :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Its always great when you can get out for a run at lunch to clear the head....one of the many benefits of running!
    Entering the races will help you with the motivation on days when you are not feeling the love for a run. Maybe pick up a 5k plan and follow it..
    have a look here
    see how many weeks to the planned races and see where you can fit into the plan.

Decided to stop procrastinating and went ahead and entered the Le Cheile 5k and the Lucan Harriers 5k last night (both in May). Now to beat my times for last year!

6 miles (or rather 5.88 miles according to mapmyrun ;) )

So up I got at the crack of dawn (that's what I call 9am on a Saturday!) to get this one out of the way. My route took in the furry glen partly so I could get a hill in and partly because it's lovely to run there with the path winding around to the lake with the sun sparkling on it. Legs felt very heavy at the top of the hill but I recovered a bit as I left the park and even managed to force myself to do a few sprints as I got close to home. Feel pretty good and going to reward myself with a bowl of porridge now (which sounds quite sad really!).

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭newbie runner

well done on the run,enjoying the log,why not upgrade that treat to include a coffee for only 60 cent extra:)

3 miles.

Once again I went out for a lunchtime run in a grumpy mood and returned feeling (slightly) less grumpy :) I had to do more dreaded sprints yesterday morning which was of course horrible but my speed has improved since last month so that's good. Felt good today and also felt like I was moving a bit faster but I'm deliberately not timing my runs at the moment.

• Advertisement

3 miles.

Not a very nice day out, wasn't pleasant getting out of my warm car and heading into the drizzle. But it's somehow appealing to run in a park when there aren't many people about; it's like it's my private space ;) So I didn't entirely mind when I stepped into water and felt it soaking through my socks.

I realised last night that I have an event to go to that is clashing with the Le Cheile 5k so might not be able to do it which would be disappointing. I had a feeling when I was entering that there was something I was forgetting. Ah well...

3-4k.

Well every km counts right? :D There was a fun run in the business park today at lunchtime, I think it was supposed to be 5k but more like 3-4 in reality. It was good actually, lots of people walking it and a good humoured atmosphere. Only downside was the goody bag, and this wouldn't be a downside if I wasn't trying to lose weight! There was a magnum icecream, a chocolate muffin, crisps, chocolate milk and apple juice, the last 4 are sitting on my desk looking at me :o

hollypink wrote: »
    3-4k.

Well every km counts right? :D There was a fun run in the business park today at lunchtime, I think it was supposed to be 5k but more like 3-4 in reality. It was good actually, lots of people walking it and a good humoured atmosphere. Only downside was the goody bag, and this wouldn't be a downside if I wasn't trying to lose weight! There was a magnum icecream, a chocolate muffin, crisps, chocolate milk and apple juice, the last 4 are sitting on my desk looking at me :o

Give them away or put them in the bin if you really want to get rid of the temptation......or just hid them for another day...out of sight out of mind....But don't forget Chocolate mile can be used after a longer run as a recovery food:D

Younganne wrote: »
    Give them away or put them in the bin if you really want to get rid of the temptation......or just hid them for another day...out of sight out of mind....But don't forget Chocolate mile can be used after a longer run as a recovery food:D

Alas I tried giving them away without success (I think my colleagues are suspicious of freebees) so they will probably have to be binned. There's no such thing as out of sight out of mind for me; if I know something sweet is in the cupboard/fridge, I won't be able to stop thinking about it :o

Good idea on the chocolate milk though; maybe I should start doing longer runs!

Annacurra 10k Trail Race (in some embarrassing time I may not mention* :o)

There's a thread in the main A/R/T forum about the cost of half marathons and one of the gripes is with scenic, hilly routes because there isn't an opportunity for a PB. I however like scenic routes; they distract somewhat from the effort and stick in my memory, although I could live without the associated hills! This accounts for my slightly impulsive decision to run the Annacurra 10k today; I saw the photos from the run and thought I'd like to run somewhere like that for a change.

The wind was getting strong in Annacurra but it wasn't too bad on the run, because of the trees I suppose. There were a few trees down along the route; it was a novel experience for me to be running around or under fallen trees on a run! The hills in the first 5k I'm afraid, quite defeated me and was a bit of a wakeup call that while I'm doing well, I'm not as fit as I'd like. It's 300m of climb apparently and it seemed that around every bend lurked another uphill section and I had to walk a good portion of it. Thankfully there were a few other people just ahead in the same boat. As I finally reached the start of the downhill section, there was a beautiful view towards Lugnacoille and from there to the end was much more manageable.

Very pleased I did it even though I was so far back at the finish. Very well organised race and such a lovely place to run.

*70.41 not quite as bad as I thought but still a bit :o!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Well done hollypink. May you come back to the hills for more. Practice, practice :)

3 miles in the rain :)

Not the most pleasant running conditions today; lots of rain and lots of puddles. My runners are sodden and I squelched back to the office. Legs felt heavy and the pace was a bit fast (not set by me!), the heavy legs I'm sure have something to do with running up hills in Wicklow on Sunday!

Well done Hollypink... sounds like a tough course..you'll get better used to the hills as you get more experience and add a few hills into some of your runs!

3 miles.

A far nicer day for a run and no wet runners today :) Still haven't decided about the race on Saturday but I'm probably going to do it and cross my fingers I don't get stuck in traffic afterwards.

• Advertisement

Le Cheile Leixlip 5k - 26:38

Decided to run this and then jump in the car and head West and hope I made it on time (which I did). I had no real expectations for my time for this run and my cheap running watch keeled over last week so as I was running I had no idea how I was doing. I did feel like I was going a little faster than last year and not slowing as much as last year but sadly I was quite wrong and was actually slower by about 25 seconds. So some room for improvement there.

Glad I ran it - well organised race, plenty of marshals and lots of bananas,water and chocolate at the finish. I indulged in a little cake from the huge spread (its surely ok to cheat on your diet after a 5k race!). Paula from Durga yoga did a few yoga stretches with me which was appreciated. Nice way to spend a morning; I felt great driving off afterwards in the sunshine.

Advertisement