Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

and miles to go before I sleep...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭hollypink

7 miles 1:11:22*

I wanted to do a reasonably long run this weekend as it's always pleasant to run along country roads for a change so I mapped out a 7 mile loop on mapmyrun and was quite looking forward to it. I was having a lovely run in the sunshine and enjoying the pretty scenery until 5 miles in when I had a bit of an unnerving encounter. It wasn't too serious but it has put me off that particular stretch of road which is a pity as I much prefer a loop to running the same route out and back. So now I'll have to find a different route for next time :( Anyway felt good despite running yesterday so happy with that.

*picked up a cheap running watch as I missed having one on Saturday, hence the accuracy of the time for this run :)

4.95 miles in 48:55

I ran this evening instead of lunchtime so decided to take the opportunity to do a slightly longer run than usual (3 miles is about all I can fit in at lunchtime). A thankfully uneventful run :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

hollypink wrote: »
    4.95 miles in 48:55

I ran this evening instead of lunchtime so decided to take the opportunity to do a slightly longer run than usual (3 miles is about all I can fit in at lunchtime). A thankfully uneventful run :)

you'll soon be as mad as the rest of us and run up and down the road until you round the numbers off...i couldn't leave it at 4.95...i'd have to round it up to 5:D

Younganne wrote: »
    you'll soon be as mad as the rest of us and run up and down the road until you round the numbers off...i couldn't leave it at 4.95...i'd have to round it up to 5:D

Well I don't have a Garmin so I use mapmyrun to estimate distance and since it's never going to be completely accurate I wouldn't be bothered whether it's 4.95 or 5! I'd normally put down 5 miles for that route but since I was timing it I decided to put down the mapmyrun distance.

3 miles

Horrible day for it but it's harder to bail when you've arranged to run with someone else! The rain wasn't too bad once we got started. I suggested a few fartleks which turned out to be a little tough towards the end but in a good way. I'm feeling a bit tired now and am going out for dinner later so hope I don't fall asleep in the soup :)

• Advertisement

5.88 miles 1:05:01

I love those days when I'm out running and there's a light breeze and the sun is shining and it isn't too warm or cold and my legs feel good and I seem to have lots of energy. Well today was the opposite of that (the sun was shining though). I gave a blood donation on Friday so that might account for some of it perhaps and I was a little tired anyway. The wind was really irritating for the first half; even the thought that it would be at my back for the second half didn't sooth the irritation. I had considered doing 8 miles but changed my mind before I left the house and decided to target 8 for next weekend. Although I've entered the Lucan Harriers 5k next Sunday so I'm not sure when I'll do my long run.

3 miles.

Easy enough run today, no fartleks or any of that fancy stuff :)

3 miles.

A little difficult to motivate myself today, a combination of feeling hungry and 2 successive nights of sleeping badly I think. What helps motivate me is that my weight loss is going well so I don't want to lose momentum. It's a great feeling to be able to wear my old skinny jeans :) I know improving my fitness should motivate me also but that isn't always the case!

8.3 miles 1:31

I somehow managed to sleep right through for 11 hours last night :D and so I missed my bootcamp class. It was a lovely sleep though and I guess I needed it. I decided to go for my long run today instead and found it pretty tough. I'm not really sure why as I did 7 miles a couple of weeks ago without much trouble and today I was feeling bad around mile 4. I did barbell squats yesterday (quite proud of that!) so I guess that contributed and today was a somewhat hilly route. Anyway the important thing is that I kept going and managed to run/plod up Kyber road without stopping - yay :)

Lucan Harriers Tom Byrne memorial 5k 26:50

Well a difficult 8 mile run the day before a 5k race is apparently not the best preparation - who knew? :p In all seriousness, the long run was more of a priority for me but I decided to do the race because I'd already entered and I enjoyed it last year. Again this year, it was well organised from the moment I arrived, with stewards directing parking, efficient number collection, and the race itself well marshalled. Eamonn Coughlan at the start of the race was a nice touch and the spot prize of tickets to the Olympics was very nice (for the winner anyway haha!).

I knew this was going to be tough for me right from the start as I could really feel the tiredness in my legs and body generally when I was warming up. First km was over 5 mins (5:10) I think and I was going as fast as I could manage at that stage. From there it was a matter of clinging on and willing myself to keep going. It's a nice flat route that goes through a park and the marshalls were very friendly and encouraging. There was a woman pushing a buggy just behind me for the entire race - fair play to her! As I entered the track, the announcer called out my name and I remember thinking "hmm something familiar about what he said" before it registered that it was my name :pac: so clearly I was very tired by then. I was quite relieved to get in under 27 minutes after finding it so difficult. Nice goody bag at the end so good value race for €12. Next year I will rest the day before this race though!

• Advertisement

3 miles

Very warm out this evening, which was nice although the tiny flies stuck to my forehead when I got home weren't so attractive! Couldn't get out for a run at lunchtime so when I got home, I propelled myself into my running gear and out the door before I could stop and think about it. Legs were a bit tight but loosened up after a while.

Thurs: 40 min run
    Fri: 38 min run
    Today: 8 miles 1:24:52

An impromptu couple of days off on Thursday and Friday led me to the lovely Burren so on Thursday morning with no idea of distance I decided to run for 30-40 mins which would give me 3.5 miles or so. It was glorious running along in the morning sunshine towards the sea with the cliffs of Moher in the far distance. So much so that I got up and repeated the run the following morning. I did feel tired while running, maybe from the heat, although it was before 9 so I'm not sure.

Today's long run was actually easier than the previous 2 short runs, at least after the first mile or so. It was warm but there was a nice breeze. Muscles were a little stiff afterwards do I did some yoga this evening (outdoors with the sun setting, the pleasure of fine weather and long evenings in the country :-) )

3.3 miles

Pleasantly cool for running at lunchtime, dont like arriving back to the office with a face like a tomato.

Thurs (31/5): 3 miles

Sunday: sprint session

I haven't really done interval training before - my gym instructor gave me a sheet of workouts last week so (reluctantly :o ) I decided to give it a try on Sunday. I was over in the West so headed to a quiet beach which I had all to myself for most of the session. It was cold, wet and windy but I started the Endomondo app on my phone to track the intervals and did 10 mins warmup, then 6 x 30sec sprints with 120sec recovery and 10 mins warm down. I think I was doing it right because it felt really hard!

Monday: 3 miles

I briefly considered doing a long run but felt a bit tired so decided just to stretch my legs. I hate to miss an opportunity to run along country roads.

Today: 3 miles

Slept badly last night and nutrition wasn't the best today; stuck in meetings and a couple of hours driving there and back so didn't get a chance to eat much but somehow I still felt like a short run when I got back to Dublin. Had one of those runs where I just felt great so it was a good decision.

All in all mileage wasn't great this weekend but will make up for it next weekend.

Thursday: 3 miles
    Managed to squeeze this one in after work; was going to the cinema so hadn't a lot of time but knew I'd be sorry if I skipped it. Prometheus probably isn't a great choice for a date movie (my choice) but I quite enjoyed it :pac:

Saturday: 8 miles
    I think this might have been over 8 miles; I used mapmyrun and Google streetview to figure out how far to run but streetview didn't exactly match the map. Anyway I'm pretty sure it was at least 8 miles which was my target. Another run on rural roads which was very pleasant and I didn't meet too many cars (which is the only negative to running on that particular road - cars drive quite fast and there aren't many walkers/cyclists never mind runners). I did actually meet another runner coming in the opposite direction with her dog which I was happy to see. I found the run itself ok; stopped for a few seconds to catch my breath going up a hill towards the end but felt good apart from that.

Sunday: sprint session.
    Headed to the beach again for an interval session as I found the empty strand perfect for it last weekend. 6 x 30s sprints with 90s recovery. I had a late night Saturday night (no alcohol though apart from a genuinely small glass of champagne :o) so was feeling tired although the wind off the Atlantic was "refreshing" :p Found this tough again and I wasn't sure if I was really running as fast as I could but for the last 10 seconds of each sprint I was dying to slow down so hopefully that means I was.

I've entered the Irish Runner 5 mile in the Phoenix Park; I'll be just back from holidays so while I have good intentions to train, I'm not sure what condition I'll be in after a week of eating and drinking what I like! But I thought doing a race when I get back will hopefully get me back in the right frame of mind.

3.3 miles

Although I wasn't timing my run today, I felt like I was running at a slightly faster pace than normal even though I wasn't particularly trying to (and the clock in the car seemed to bear that out). So maybe the interval training is having an effect already? I wouldn't have thought 2 sessions in 2 weeks would make much difference so maybe I'm wrong. I won't be running any 43 minute mini-marathons any time soon but then I'm not the only one in that boat ;)

3.3 miles (29 mins approx)

Enjoyed the run today and reasonably happy with my pace. Passed a woman pushing a little dog (bulldog maybe?) in a pram - hadn't seen that before! He was a cute little thing.

8.3 miles

mapmyrun says this run "has a total ascent of 167.32 ft and has a maximum elevation of 190.29 ft" which is presumably a good thing. I keep putting off getting up this morning and when I realised how close the Ireland-NZ rugby game was with 10 mins to go, sure I had to stay and listen to the radio coverage and then it started to lash rain. So eventually off I went. Very changeable weather, sunny one minute and really rainy the next but I didn't mind the rain as it was nice and cooling. My legs seemed to want to go faster than I thought wise for a long run so tried to slow down a little. Felt great on the approach to Kyber road and immediately I turned onto it, even before the hill, I felt tired and breathless! I wonder if I will ever find it anything but tough. I was almost at the top when I got a stitch, not bad enough to force me to stop so I just jogged on slowly and it went away after a minute or so. It started to rain heavily as I got close to home, so I arrived like a drowned rat :)

No long run next weekend as I'll be on holidays and I don't think I'd manage it with the heat but I plan to do some shorter runs. This is dependent on me getting up early, to run at the coolest time of the day and that's not something I'm good at!

Another sprint session; duration 31:01

Decided to do the same as last week - 6 x 30s sprints with 90s recovery instead of moving on to 60s recovery as I was just wrecked yesterday after my long run. Which I thought strange because I did the same distance last week and got through a busy day and a family party that evening with no problems. I'm not sure what the difference was; diet maybe.

I did the sprint session in the little park just up the road; the ground was very wet in parts but the length was perfect for a 30 second sprint. It was easier to run towards a marker (the edge of the park) than running on a strand where you've no real markers and so you're just waiting for the Endomondo voice to tell you when to slow down and you think she'll never speak up! I still prefer my beach though; it's more scenic and tranquil.

Edit: Amused by this; the Endomondo app is telling me I burned 56 calories during that session; you wouldn't want to be taking that as gospel; sure you'd burn that sitting down doing nothing for an hour :)

today: 3 mile run

Wed 27/6 40 min run

Mon 25/6 40 min run

Sat 23/6 40 min run

Thurs 21/6 30 min run

Back from 10 days holidays. I tried to get some short runs in while I was away; I think I did quite well considering there was a bit of a heat wave so temperatures were well over 30 degrees every day. I got up early to avoid the hottest part of the day but it was still very hot. There was a nice cliff walk from one beach to another that I ran on last year so the first day I just ran for 15 mins along it and turned back but I realised that if I stretched it to 40 mins, I'd get to the second beach so I did that for the rest of the runs. Considering the heat, I didn't really find it very difficult and there was something wonderful about running by the sea. On one of the days I even had a dip in the sea at the halfway point which was a delicious feeling.

Tomorrow I'm doing the Irish Runner 5 mile in the Phoenix Park, my number having arrived in the post while I was away. After a week of eating all the wrong foods, drinking lots of wine and cocktails and sleeping badly because of the heat, I'm not expecting anything great but I'll give it a go.

• Advertisement

Irish Runner 5 mile 43:36 :)

I made a right dog's dinner of timing this race because I decided I'd to track my split times but kept pressing the stop button on my watch instead of the lap one :p From memory, I did the first mile in 8:33. At the finish the clock was just over 47 minutes so I'll have to wait and see what the chip time is.

This morning I wasn't much in the mood for running but I hauled myself out of bed and eventually headed out the door at 9:30 to cycle over to the start line. The queue for the portaloos was very long so I headed off into the trees like I saw some other girls doing and on the way, managed to step into a very marshy part and felt my socks getting completely soaked which was extremely unpleasant. I was standing in wave 3 when it occurred to me that I'd be able to finish in less than 50 mins so I headed to the back of wave 2. I saw the air corp guys in wave 3 who were going to run in formation, would like to have seen that. I felt wave 2 was a good choice as I wasn't being overtaken much and I was doing a good bit of overtaking myself at least in the first mile or so. It didn't feel too congested either.

I felt things start to get difficult as I got to the top of the hill on Military Road so I'd say I was slow from then on. I tried to pick up the pace a little with 400m to go but it wasn't easy. Happy enough with how I got on as I didn't feel my holidays took too much of a toll but it's probably not a PB.

Edit: spoke too soon, it is a PB! Delighted!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

3 miles

I was planning to take this nice and easy but I'd have had to anyway as I got a bit of a stitch. By the end I felt really good. It isn't pleasant being back at work after holidays but it was nice to be back to my lunchtime runs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Well done on the PB! It was lovely to meet you too on Saturday night.

jcsmum wrote: »
    Well done on the PB! It was lovely to meet you too on Saturday night.

lovely to meet you and the other A/R/T ladies!

Wed: 3 miles
    Thurs: 5 miles
    Today: LSR 8.3 miles 1:36:43

I've decided to follow a marathon training plan and see how it goes :cool:. This is technically week 2 and was supposed to be 3 x 3 miles and a 7 mile LSR so I did deviate a little but I figured that as I'd built up to 8 miles before I went on holidays it was ok. I can see that it's going to be a bit of a challenge following the plan and continuing with my gym classes, Wednesday being the tricky one. I might have to move the days around a little so that I'm doing a shorter run the same day as weight training.

Wednesday's run was fine, nice relaxed pace but I was very tired that evening which I put down to training twice that day but my nutrition hasn't been great, and sleep patterns are a bit all over the place after holidays so that probably contributed. On Thursday I was a big ball of stress at work and had a meeting at lunchtime so didn't get a chance for a run until I got home. Was determined to get the run in so headed off and encountered the hordes heading to the Stone Roses gig. Didn't get too many smart comments but when I got past them I decided to do a slightly longer run as I wasn't quite ready to face running back past them. What was very pleasant was running along to the sound of the Wailers and it certainly helped my stress levels.

Today's LSR went really well. I made a very conscious effort to run it slowly at a pace where I was relaxed and not really out of breath. After yesterday's rain, I was relieved by the sunshine this morning, although I was looking forward to getting out so would have gone in the rain anyway. It was nice running slowly, just looking around at what was going on in the park. Even running up the Kyber wasn't a struggle and I never thought I'd say that. Only slight niggle was my right runner, my toes felt a bit uncomfortable so I might have to think about new ones soon :(

Tuesday: 3 mile run
    Today: 5 mile pace (actual 4.96 in 48:22)

I'm definitely going to have to move my mid-week "Sorta-Long Run" from Wednesday to Tuesday from next week. I found it difficult to get this one in today, although admittedly it was more of a mental struggle than physical :o Was in foul humour this afternoon thanks to work and all I wanted to do when I got home was slob on the couch with a takeaway. But right now I'm too afraid of the plan to skip a run so off I went. I just went a little faster than my short runs as I didn't really know what pace I was going at and I seem to have got it more or less at PMP according to the McMillan calculator (based on my 5 mile race result).

I picked up capri running trousers in Lidl on Monday, and I don't know if they are making my bum look good or huge but I got several smart comments from 2 separate groups of teenagers that I passed on my run along the lines of "nice ass", "helllloooo sexy bum" and "look at the ARSE on her". So maybe I should head off to Lidl and see if they have any more :D

Thursday 12th
    3.3 miles
    Saturday 14th
    LSR 6.43 miles in 1:14:15

Felt a little tired during Thursday's run but it was quite pleasant out. I was glad I didn't wait till I got home from work when I saw how it lashed rain later! Stepback week so only a 6 mile LSR today. I'm not quite sure if I'm running my LSRs too slowly or if that is even possible. The McMillan calculator gives an optimal training pace for LSRs of 9:41 to 10:57 pace/mile and I ran this at 11:30. I think I won't worry about it for now though. I felt very comfortable throughout; I wonder if my subconscious is telling me if I'm not breathless and sweaty, I'm not really exercising! Anyway week 3 of 18 done :cool:

Plan for next week:
    Plan: Week 4/18

Monday 3 miles
    Tuesday 6 miles pace
    Wednesday 3 miles
    Thursday Swim/rest
    Friday gym
    Saturday LSR 11 miles
    Sunday Rest

I'm moving the sorta long run to Tuesday and the plan is to get it done before work. I get up early on Mon, Wed and Fri to go to the gym so it shouldn't be that hard to do it on Tuesday as well. So I'll review at the end of next week and see how it worked out.

Monday 16th
    3 miles

An hour at the gym and a 3 mile run done by 9:30, how good is that! This must be what it's like to be a morning person :) I ran this one a bit faster than I'd intended but had to make an appointment afterwards and thought I might be late. Lots and lots of rain, I didnt enjoy the first 10 minutes at all but it wasnt bad after that. I wore my Lidl cycling rain jacket because its hiz viz but it isnt breathable so I felt a bit too warm, will stick to a tech t-shirt in future I think.

Tuesday 17th 6.43 miles 1:01:32

I awoke to the delightful sound of rain against the window. We surely are having a lovely summer. Still, I can recall training for my first half marathon in January a few years ago and it was windy, rainy, dark and cold and how I hated it. A bit of rain on its own just doesn't seem bad at all.

Although this was a pace run, I felt I took this a little faster than I should; 10 minute miles would probably have made more sense. Maybe it's time to get a garmin (looking for an excuse to spend the money really!). It felt ok though; a bit more effort maybe but I didn't feel I was fighting an urge to slow down at any stage. It was quiet out, unsurprising given the rain. One of the 2 security guys sitting under umbrellas at the construction entrance to the Phoenix Park concert site called out to me "there's dedication for ya, fair play to you" which was gratifying although to be honest I didn't feel it was any hardship being out. I'm sure as the weeks go by, I will not always feel that way! The rain stopped shortly afterwards anyway. I don't think I stretched enough afterwards, legs are a little stiff so I might go to a yoga class after work. I did a lunchtime class yesterday but could do with more intensive postures today.

• Advertisement

Wednesday 18th 3.3 miles 33:42:62

Thursday 19th 3 miles 36:56:58

Very warm and humid during yesterday's run, hope the humidity is gone for a while. Hadn't planned a run today but when I got home, I just felt like getting out for a while. Took it very easy and felt great during and afterwards. Roll on the LSR at the weekend.

In other news, I entered the Race series 10 mile and half marathon and then took a deep breath and ticked the Dublin marathon box as well. So that's that :cool:

Advertisement