Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

and miles to go before I sleep...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭hollypink

I can't believe it's been so long since I last ran but finally the physio has given me the go-ahead to start this week with a whole 10 minute run :o and gradually increase the distance by 2 minutes on each subsequent run. I've been cycling a little on my crock of a bike but mostly doing intervals on the stationery bike which hasn't been as tortuous as I was expecting. I tried a spinning class last week and this week (physio's suggestion) and god, it was way tougher than I was expecting.

Hoping to do the Aware 5k or just maybe the 10k in December. Participating in the Aware and/or Jingle Bells run has become a part of the lead-up to Christmas for me so I'd be sorry if I couldn't do one of them this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭banner_phoenix

How's the running comeback going?

How's the running comeback going?

It's going well actually but I've been building up very slowly and the runs are so short that they dont seem worth logging. I'm only up to 20 mins or so of (slow) running but it's nice being out, especially on the frosty days we've had recently. I was thinking of doing the Aware run but I see they pulled the 5k and the physio said to only build up to 45 mins before I see him again so might try the parkrun seeing as the feedback on the thread is so positive. Glad to see you back too!

Wed 5/12 3 miles

After a few days away, and a lot of gluhwein, pastries, chocolate and so on, I felt the need to get out and do some exercise. Beautiful cool, dry weather, perfect for running apart from the odd patch of ice lurking on the shady parts. I felt great, longest run in so long and no aches (touch wood)

Friday 7/12 3.41 miles 33:32

Tuesday 11/12 3.25 miles 33:26

Just couldn't get up on Saturday morning for a run :o and then was away till Sunday night so no running all weekend. Hopefully will get back into my routine before too long. I'm hoping the roads wont be too slippy at Christmas as it's a relief to get out for a run and away from the madness! I felt a little tired while running today and have a little bit of a head cold which I'm hoping isn't going to develop into a full blown one but I'm still happy to be back out.

• Advertisement

Sun 16/12 3 miles

Of course my head cold did get quite bad last week so just took it easy and did no exercise, just in case it made things worse. By Sunday I was feeling reasonably ok again and since I had no symptoms below the neck, off I went. Energy levels weren't great; I didn't feel like I needed to stop or anything like that but I just felt tired and heavy. I was at a party the evening before, and even though it wasn't a late night, I'm sure the mulled wine and mince pies instead of a proper dinner didn't help :p I'm supposed to be up to 45 mins running for my next physio visit on Wednesday but I don't think that's going to happen now.

I'm quite looking forward to doing some running over in the West of Ireland at Christmas time; the only possibly obstacle is icy roads, not so much because of the fear of slipping (although that is a concern) but more a fear of cars skidding. So hopefully it will be a mild Christmas.

Tues 19/12 3.33 miles 32:16

Busy week but managed to get a lunchtime run in on Tuesday. Motorists in the business park must be in festive spirits as I've never had so many cars stopping to let me cross the road, and I had to cross a good few times. I suppose in January they will be back to mowing runners down again :p Energy levels still down but a bit better I think than Sunday.

Was at the physio yesterday, still recovering from a hangover (work Christmas drinks) which wasn't exactly ideal! But the good news is that my knees are fully recovered and I don't have to go back to him unless it recurs in the future. I'm supposed to stick to 5k and 10k runs next year, which is fine.

22/12 3.27 miles 34:45

Went for a short run before heading into town for a wander around before heading west for christmas.

Some Christmas running to work off the turkey and plum pudding and chocolate and christmas cake and crisps and wine and so on...

25/12 4.04 miles 38:30
    26/12 3.09 miles 29:08
    27/12 5.32 miles 49:58
    29/12 5.33 miles 48:57
    31/12 3.09 miles 28:55

I tried to get a run in most days over Christmas as it has lots of benefits apart from fitness and calorie burning: I was up relatively early so felt like I made the most of each day, weather wasnt too bad apart from one day and I think being out in daylight (and even occasional sunshine!) is good for my mood, and a little space from my family eliminates tension (they are the best in the world but no family is perfect!). Mostly though I am still happy to be back running so I am appreciating each run. And it's lovely running along quiet country roads with just cows, horses and donkeys looking on. There were a few cross sounding dogs at some houses but they didnt come near me thankfully.

1/1/2013 Tom Brennan 5k 23:48 :)

Spotted the thread about this race and thought it would be a good way to start the New Year. I havent done a race in many months and after several months of no running at all I felt I'd have lost fitness and pace and I wasnt exactly fast to begin with. But I thought it would give me a baseline for the year ahead. So I genuinely wasnt expecting anything great results wise; I thought 28 mins maybe, definitely under 30 mins.

My soleus watch helpfully decided to inform me just as I was passing the start line that it was out of file space. So I just ran with no idea of my pace or my time at each marker, running on feel, pushing myself slightly beyond what was comfortable. I had to slow at about 2.5k as I didnt think I could sustain the pace but not too much. As I passed 4k I thought, right, push yourself now, nearly there. With the finish line in sight I tried to catch another runner, who himself sped up so we raced each over over the line which was good fun. He and the man behind whom I had stayed with most of the race both shook my hand which made me feel like a proper runner for a minute :) I was pretty wrecked though and had to sit down and catch my breath, not caring about the wet, muddy grass.

I hadn't noticed the clock at the finish line and it was only as I sat there drinking water that I glanced at my watch and saw it was 12:24 so if the race started at 12, I had run sub-25. I've never gotten close to that before so I was feeling excited. A girl with a laptop was giving people their chip times and sure enough 23:48 which was so unexpected. Great start to 2013! Enjoyable race, well organised and good atmosphere.

3/1 3.3 miles
    5/1 5.8 miles 54:18

I had been hoping to do the Connemarathon half this year but deferred my entry till 2014. Fingers crossed I'll be able to do it then as I'd love to try for sub 2 hours. I'd like to see what time I can run a 10k in, sub 55 would be great. I need to have a look at a race calendar and see which 10ks I might do. The great ireland run and mini marathon dont appeal too much because from previous experience, they were both very crowded.

I felt a bit nostalgic when I was out running at the weekend, passing spots I havent been since I stopped running last year and seeing how autumn and winter have changed them. You'd think it had been years, not months but I get nostalgic very easily it seems!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Well done on the 5k, fantastic start to the new year for you!

The K Club 10k in April (??) is meant to be a good PB course or Dunshaughlin in June...so I have been told anyway :)

9/1 3.29 miles 30:17

missed my lunchtime run yesterday as I had to do a site visit and didn't get back in time. I was very tired in the evening so decided to postpone. I'm not so keen on running in the dark, even though I have a headtorch and other high viz stuff, not from a safety point of view but I suppose it's less interesting when you can't see much around you. From the amount of frost on my car this morning, I was expecting it to be wicked cold for my run but the sun was surprisingly warm.
    The K Club 10k in April (??) is meant to be a good PB course or Dunshaughlin in June...so I have been told anyway :)

Cool, the K Club one interests me greatly; I looked up last year's thread and the food afterwards seems to get a very big thumbs up. Yes I do make race choices based on the promise of cake :D It is one of the reasons I like the Le Chéile 5k (though I should state that it is a good race, yummy cakes aside).

11/1 3.29 miles 30:17

hmm I ran exactly the same distance and in exactly the same time as Wednesday, strange! I ran the same route but still you'd think there would be a slight difference.

I went back to circuit training last night; it's been a while since I did any strength work so arms and legs are a bit achy today. I'm supposed to be doing squats and lunges to prevent further knee problems so I should really stop dithering about which gym to join and just pick one.

hollypink wrote: »
    Cool, the K Club one interests me greatly; I looked up last year's thread and the food afterwards seems to get a very big thumbs up. Yes I do make race choices based on the promise of cake :D It is one of the reasons I like the Le Chéile 5k (though I should state that it is a good race, yummy cakes aside).

I see no flaw in your strategy there :D. Only reason I am jogging Raheny is for goodie bag :rolleyes:

12/1 6.53 miles 1:01:00

I was just going to do the same distance as last week but was feeling good (and also a little guilty about all the junk food I ate yesterday) so ran a slightly longer route. I didnt even notice that I was out for an hour.

Tue 15/1 3.29 miles 31:17

When I was scraping the ice off my car windows this morning, it crossed my mind that the paths would be too slippy for a lunchtime run. I decided to chance it and because I hate being cold, I wore my full length tights, two long sleeved tops, gloves and also a headband to cover my ears. I had to laugh at my wussyness when I met two of my work colleagues on their way back from their run, just wearing shorts and t-shirts :o I was feeling a bit tired today; I think it might be connected to the fact that I haven't found a balance with my nutrition yet so it's something I need to work on.

I've almost made up my mind about a gym to join; I've let my physio exercises lapse and I need to start again, especially the squats and lunges.

Hmm...I've been enlisted to take part in the Mayo mud run, as I have connections to the area. I just saw a video they put up on youtube of the run and it was very muddy and very wet. I don't even like running in the grass in the Phoenix Park so god knows how I'm going to get on :o

Fri 18/1 3.29 miles 31:38

Not very nice running weather but there was a gap in the sleet and rain at lunchtime so using as a motivating factor the fact that I missed my run yesterday due to meetings and also ate a bit too much cake, I headed out. I actually enjoyed it, was in a bit of a thoughtful mood. The day went downhill from there due to various crises in work so just as well I went. I hope it's not too horrible tomorrow for my long run; I know you should just grit your teeth and get on with it, irrespective of weather but when your bed is cosy, the thought of wet feet and cold rain and wind in your face is a bit :(

I joined a gym and did a weights session on Wednesday morning. Between that and the circuit class I did on Tuesday and Thursday, my legs and arms are a bit stiff. Need to do some work to get back to the level I was at in November when I left the other gym.

Sat 19/1 6.49 miles 1:01:43

Wow it's cold, damp and grey out there. I was a bit surprised by the number of runners out but it's good to see. As I was going along the canal towpath, a bird swooped down over the water and landed and I realised it was the heron I used to see early on Saturday mornings when I was doing my marathon LSRs, which made me smile. I felt maybe a little less energetic than last week but I did a good bit more exercise this week (1 free weights session, 2 short runs, yoga and 2 high density circuit classes).

• Advertisement

I did some sprints today, haven't done any in ages. 10 min warm up, then 7 x 30sec sprint with 45 sec rest and 10 min cooldown. Last few seconds of each sprint felt tough so I think I pushed myself reasonably hard. Hailstones started as I was finishing up, which was good timing.

Tue 22/1 3.33 miles 31:03

Pleasant run today with very light snow falling. It was quite picturesque with the little flakes falling and lots of snow on the mountains in the distance. Paths were mostly fine, a little bit of ice in places but easy to spot. I wouldn't risk it if the paths were bad so I'm rather hoping this cold spell doesn't last long. The treadmill is always an option but ugh, the thoughts of it :(

Thurs 24/1 3.28 miles 29:25

I flew around today; I don't know if it was the mild conditions or all the yummy, high-carb food I ate yesterday. If only I could be guaranteed I wouldn't put back on last years 2.5 stone, I'd eat like that all the time :) I have a busy weekend ahead so will have to focus to fit in my long run. When the weather forecast said the cold spell was coming to an end, it was music to my ears, no treadmill running, yay!

Mon 28/1 3.11* miles 31:12

*I think my watch lost the GPS signal; I did my usual route so it should have been about 3.3 miles.

Feeling annoyed with myself as I missed my long run at the weekend, due to disorganisation and then a hangover :mad: I could make all the excuses in the world for myself but that's just pointless so I am mentally giving myself a slap on the wrist, and am committing myself to stick to my routine. I did go for a swim on Saturday morning so it wasn't an entirely lazy weekend. My swimming fitness is awful, I was out of breath after every length but that isn't surprising as I haven't been swimming regularly. I've arranged to go on Saturday mornings from now on with a friend, so that will help. If I could fit in a midweek swim or two, that would be even better but I'll have to play that one by ear.

So this morning, I just couldn't (or rather didn't) get up for the gym before work. Again, no excuses. Instead, I packed up my running gear and at lunchtime, out I went, only to find that there was some kind of full scale hurricane outside (may be slight exaggeration but it was very very windy). I did consider abandoning my run but my inner personal trainer was shouting "get the hell on with it, it's only 3 miles and you haven't run since Thursday".

Everything was going fine, I had the wind at my back but then, as I looped around, the wind was now in my face and was blasting hailstones into my face which was really quite unpleasant and a bit sore. At least I think it was hailstones, might have been just rain. A "helpful" passer-by said "jaysus you picked a great day for it" and, irritating though that was to hear, he had a point. Finally I moved into a more sheltered part of the route and then I was back at the office, looking a bit dishevelled I suspect.

Of course, when I'd showered and changed, I saw that it was now sunny with blue skies. Great timing altogether :p

Tues 29/1 3.3 miles

Another horrible day :) I just wanted to get this one over with so I didn't wait for my watch to find a GPS signal. My average pace was a 8'57"/mile so I guess the wind didn't slow me down too much. At least there were no hailstones today.

Fri 1/2 3.34 miles 30:31

Meant to go for a run yesterday but missed it due to a lunchtime meeting. I did circuit training* last night and then went to the gym early this morning to do some weights, which undoubtedly accounted for the tiredness I felt during my run. I probably did a bit too much really but that doesn't happen often! I plan to have a very leisurely evening tonight :)

*on a side note, just when I've gotten to the point where I can do a few sets of full press ups, along comes an even harder press-up where you bring your foot up to your hand (don't remember what it's called). It is really tough :o

Sat 2/2 6.52 miles 1:03:07

After a week of unpleasant runs through rain and wind and general grey dreariness, I enjoyed every minute of this run. The sight of clear skies and the sun rising were a welcome sight. It was cold and there was frost on the paths which crunched slightly underfoot but wasnt slippy. The heron was back on the canal bank, as usual taking no heed of me. The park was quiet and calm and while I had considered just doing 5 miles as I had something else to do afterwards, my legs felt good and it was so nice out that I decided to do the full 6.5.

I also went swimming yesterday, felt an improvement on last week , well I wasnt gasping for air after every length!

Tue 5/2 3.32 miles 29:46

to sum up today's run: brrrr. Most of the morning's snow was gone by lunchtime but there is a strong, biting wind so it took ages for me to warm up. I should have worn a heavier top but I thought it would be mild because of the snow and I hate being too warm when I'm running.

Training seems to be going well for you at the mo. When is the "fun" mud run then?

• Advertisement

Thurs 7/2 3.3 miles

I must be a bit run down, have several cold sores :( I skipped weight training this week, apart from circuit classes which are mostly bodyweight exercises. I normally go to the gym before work and I thought this week I should make sleep a priority. I think I'll do my long run tomorrow anyway; I've been reading about the immune system and running and there's a lot of contradictory stuff but it seems like it would be ok if I don't increase the intensity or volume, which I wasn't intending on doing anyway. Yesterday's run was fine; I threw on loads of clothes, including a hoodie so even though it was cold and raining, I didn't mind too much.
    Training seems to be going well for you at the mo. When is the "fun" mud run then?

Yeah training is going fine actually. I'm probably stuck in a rut of 2 x 3 miles and 1 x 6 mile but I'm wary of increasing the distance. I may add in some more speed work and hills when I'm feeling 100%. The mud run is 23rd March (weekend before Easter). I'd like to think the course will be a bit drier by then but who am I kidding, it rains a lot in Mayo :p

Advertisement