Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aíleach??

Options
  • 26-11-2010 6:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43

Hi folks, i'm looking for information on Aíleach or more to the point the 'Daughters Of Aíleach' INF (Irish National Foresters) Branch.All I know (or think I know) at the minute is that Aíleach was a castle or fort 3 miles north of Derry, probably around the Burt/ Burnfoot area.
    Our local Branch of the INF (Omagh, Co. Tyrone) have two collarette/sashes with the Daughters of Aíleach embroidered on them. I can find no information on an INF Branch in this area so if anyone can help point me in the right direction I'd be very grateful.
    Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46,098 ✭✭✭✭muffler

This will be a start for you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 43 citybhoy

Cheers muffler, got a few links from there and have emailed the visitors centre. Hopefully unravel the mystery soon. Thanks again for the pointer. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭theblueirish

Hi Citybhoy,
    Would you let me know if you find anything? My grandfather was a Grand Marshall of the Foresters in Cookstown many years ago. My mum has been nagging me about joining but i have no idea how or where,
    I am 40 next year and i think there is some rule about joining before then.

Regards

Theblueirish

Hi Blueirish - if you are still in Cookstown there is still a Branch there. (The Tyrone player Owen Mulligan has leased the bar off them!) I'm in our Branch hall for a function tonight so i'll get you contact details of the Cookstown Branch. (I'm the secretary in Omagh ) If you have moved from the area let me know where to and i'll find out who is the closet Branch to you.
    Your mum is right to nag you - too many people are giving up part of their history and heritage by not following their forefathers in upholding the Branches traditions of Nationality, Benevolence and Fraternity. Circumstances have obviously changed from your grandfathers time but the INF still has a vital role to play in the communities they are based in and new members are always more than welcome.
    And as for the orignal post re; Aíleach, i'm still working on it. Have contacted a few people I know in the Donegal/Derry area and hoping to get replies soon.
    I'll keep you updated as and when I get information.

Hi,
    I'm in Donegal now, I presumed since Mugsy and Stephen had taken over the bar there was no longer a branch there.
    I had heard there was a branch in Omagh but couldn't find any details for it.
    I was also told that there was a Christmas function for the Foresters held in The Fir Trees a few years back but I don't know of any one in the Strabane area that was a member.
    Would be grateful for any info you get.
    Thanks

Theblueirish

• Advertisement

Is there a branch in Killybegs?

Branch Niall Mór is based in Killybegs, as far as I know its the only one in Donegal. My Branch in Omagh (Branch Bishop Kelly) celebrated our 120th anniversary last year. Strabane (Branch William Collins) are a very small branch - only about 6 or 8 members. Just a few keeping the name going - they don't get involved in parades or any inter branch activities.
    We were in Killybegs for their anniversary about a month or 6 weeks ago (Killybegs were beat by Glenties in the provinial final that day) and they have since came up to Omagh for a visit. the secretary there is <SNIP>. I don't have any contact details for her but you can email <SNIP>
    Still no further forward on my Daughters of Aileach search :o:o

citybhoy wrote: »
    the secretary there is <SNIP>. I don't have any contact details for her but you can email <SNIP>
    Name and contact details removed. If anyone needs this info then PM citybhoy.

Its never a good idea to post personal contact details on a public forum.

Thanks for the info,
    I am originally from Strabane now living in Lifford do you know any of the members in Strabane? Could you PM them to me if you do.

Thanks

Theblueirish

Pm sent.

• Advertisement
Advertisement