If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Denon D-M38

Options
  • 26-11-2010 6:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

I'm looking for a sound system for the spare room in my apartment.
    Currently I'm using a fairly bog standard Philips MCM177. However, the money I spend on CDs and vinyl, I reckon I need something a cut above..

A full sized seperates system isn't really feasible with the size of the room.
    I'm reading great things about the Denon D-M38, but What-HiFi suggest upgrading the speakers.

Any opinions on this system? Could you suggest speakers? Sound quality is a must (price depending!), and I'll be putting a Marantz turntable through it via a pre-amp.

Thanks,

Kevin.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

bump

If any of the RS team have any thoughts on this it'd be much appreciated :)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, RicherSounds.ie Moderator Posts: 2,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Ritz

Mod Comment:

Please take a moment to read the Charter, http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055564744 , particulrly the part that says:
    Please do not "bump" your thread within 24 hours of posting your original query. While enquiries are usually answered promptly, from time to time it may take a little longer than usual for someone to reply to a post here. Bumping your thread doesn't make a reply happen any more quickly. (In case you are unfamiliar with the term, "Bumping" means posting again on your own thread solely for the purpose of bringing it to the top of the forum in order to attract attention to your query).

There's already a notice from John Mc of RS on the forum explaining that there is a bit of a delay in answering queries - please see here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056092875 .

If your query is urgent, a call to the shop (details here www.richersounds.ie )
    might be helpful.

Thanks,

Ritz.

Apologies, my bad.

K.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, RicherSounds.ie Moderator Posts: 2,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Ritz

No prob :)

Ritz.

• Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

Hi Guys,

I'm looking for a sound system for the spare room in my apartment.
    Currently I'm using a fairly bog standard Philips MCM177. However, the money I spend on CDs and vinyl, I reckon I need something a cut above..

A full sized seperates system isn't really feasible with the size of the room.
    I'm reading great things about the Denon D-M38, but What-HiFi suggest upgrading the speakers.

Any opinions on this system? Could you suggest speakers? Sound quality is a must (price depending!), and I'll be putting a Marantz turntable through it via a pre-amp.

Thanks,

Kevin.

Kevin,

apologies for the delay getting back to you - not your bad - mine!

I cannot recommend the DM38 highly enough - it really is a super unit and sounds great and at £189.95 it's a complete steal - if you wanted it combined with speakers we can do it with the Cambridge S30 at £279.95 or alternatively if you really want to make sure the quality is top notch you can add the Monitor Audio BX2 for just £329.95 which is a completely crazy price!

If you wanted a futher step up in quality (and you are already a Marantz fan!) you should have a look at the Marantz MCR502 at £329.95 - this is a serious little jewel & at £329.95 it's a cracking price - again it works well with the Cambridge S30 and a pack price of £399.95 makes it sound even sweeter....

Again with the Monitor Audio BX2 we can do the MCR502 at £470 combined.

Keep me posted and we will do our very best to assist,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

• Advertisement

Hi John,

Thanks for the reply and info.
    You had to mention the Marantz didn't you.. now I'm torn between the two.
    Would you notice the difference between the two, soundwise, in a small room?

In terms of speakers, the Monitor's are a bit too big. Given the size of the room, for optimal placement, the speakers will be going on bookshelves, with a height clearance of 335mm, so the S30s would be the best bet - unless you can recommend something else that would fit?

Next question - what am I looking at for delivery costs, and in terms of cabling, can you suggest anything there?

Thanks,

Kevin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Dave

Hi Kevin.

Monitor Audio do a smaller version of that speaker which works really well with the micro systems.

It's a BX1 and it measures 26cm tall. It comes in the same array of finishes as the BX2's.

The MA's are a much better speaker than the S30's with those micro's so if you fancied these instead, I can do a pair of those with the CR502 including 2 x 3m lenghts of decent cable and delivery for £450.00.

Let me know what you think.

ATB

Dave

Hi Dave,

That sounds good to me!
    What's the next stage, should I give you a shout to finalise it?

Thanks,

K.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 robrieguez

Just to throw my 2 cents in there. Dave @ Richersounds looked after me with the Denon M38 and the Monitor Audio BX2 recently and I couldnt be happier, well worth the drive to Belfast.

They're fully run in now and they're sounding even better

Thanks again to Dave and the guys at Richersounds

Rob Mc

• Registered Users Posts: 3 kurten

Hi

I'm looking to buy a decent hi-fi system. I was thinking about a that Denon with MA BX1 speakers. What would the total price for that plus a decent speaker cable and delivery to Bray Co.Wicklow?

I was thinking of buying these on Amazon but you guys might be cheaper without those crazy shipping costs.

Kind Regards

Tomasz

• Advertisement
  • Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

kurten wrote: »
    Hi

I'm looking to buy a decent hi-fi system. I was thinking about a that Denon with MA BX1 speakers. What would the total price for that plus a decent speaker cable and delivery to Bray Co.Wicklow?

I was thinking of buying these on Amazon but you guys might be cheaper without those crazy shipping costs.

Kind Regards

Tomasz

Tomasz,

Thanks a million for the post & the opportunity to quote - the Denon is an excellent system and matches really well with the BX1, or the BX2's if you can stretch to them?

The DM38 / BX1 Combination is £379.95 - I can do it at £324.95

The DM38 / BX2 Combination is £419.95 - I can do it at £369.95

Delivery for the system countrywide would be just £12.95.

Keep me posted if you have seen it cheaper - we have it all available ready to ship - you could be bopping away for the weekend!

Thanks again and as ever you know where we are if you have any queries,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

Hi John,

Thank you for your quick reply. Your price is really...decent;D and because you're in Belfast that means less hassle for me. If you have that Denon in silver finish and if I can get the BX1 speakers in any of the wood finishes I'll jump on them;)

I'd like to pay by bank transfer if that's ok. You can pm your IBAN and SWIFT here or just send it to my mailbox: kurten@wp.pl

Thanks again

Regards

Tomasz

Email sent.

ATB

Dave

Hi Dave

I didn't get your email. checked my inbox and spam folder but it's not there. you can just send me a pm here.

thanks

Tomasz

PM sent.

ATB

Dave

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭cjlawlor

I just saw this thread today. After a few hours trawling reviews and listening to friend's setups and advice, I've found myself focusing on the M38DAB (Black) and BX2 (Natural Oak) combo. John, I was just wondering if the aforementioned price from Richer Sounds for boardies still stands? If so, I'd be extremely interested. Cheers!

PM sent. :)

Sorry Dave, can you send PM to me again - for some reason I didn't receive it. Thanks!

Sorry to ask again but I was also wondering if you can send me a price for the DM38DAB (Black) and BX1 (Natural Oak) combo as an alternative to the DM38DAB (Black) and BX1 (Natural Oak) combo please? I was looking at the dimensions of the BX2's in relation to my apartment and fear they might be a bit large. Are there any other speakers in your range I should be considering? Thanks!

Hey cjlawlor.

The best price on the DM38 and BX1's would be £350 including delivery.

The BX1's are also fantastic but the BX2's have the extra bass :)

Let me know what you think.

• Advertisement

Cheers Dave. I've also read good things about the Boston Acoustics A25. How would they compare to the BX1s/BX2s?

Hi Cjlawlor.

The Boston are also very good and got a 5 star review! However I still feel that both the Monitor Audio BX1's and 2's still have the edge over them.

Boston A25 are priced at £199.95

Cheers Dave - definitely some food for thought! How much for the bx2s and dm38 again? I never got the pm for some reason. (I may rearrange the furniture and just go for them if the price is right!)

Hi cjlawlor.

The price on the BX2's and DM38 would be £382.94 inc delivery.

Let me know when you have though over the options.

Cheers Dave - really appreciate all your help. £382.94 is too good a deal to pass up quite frankly. I'll go for the Denon DM38DAB (Black) and Natural Oak BX2's if both are available! Please PM me with info on arranging payment etc. Thanks a million!

Hi CJLawlor.

Thanks for the order today.

All items are in stock and I will have the ordered shipped to you today ;)

Wow that was fast.. Thanks a million!

We aim to please. :) Your order should be with you today.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.