Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband in Carlow

Options
  • 26-11-2010 7:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭

I'm with Eircom for quite a few years. Even though they charge more expensive than other isps' I still go with them because they are more staple and customer service is good. plus my dad uses the eircom e-mail.
    But since we got "upgraded" to NGB 8MB. I found the line slower than the old 7MB speed! And they are implementing the fees for going over the limit!

So which broadband provider are people using in Carlow?
    I know 2 people used UPC, in Hanover Court 15mb line gets 15mb,rainny days 13-14mb.
    Yet in around College Gardens they get less than 5mb speed!

Looked at the broadband section and its a bit of a hit and miss. So before i change I wanna know it actually works!
    I live near Devoys Garage. Anybody can tell me what their lines are like?

Whick Broadband provider do you use 49 votes

Eircom
    0% 0 votes
    UPC
    24% 12 votes
    Vodafone
    40% 20 votes
    Digiweb
    26% 13 votes
    Clearwire
    8% 4 votes
    Others
    0% 0 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭DrZeuss

I have UPC 14.7MB with only slight variations from that, very consistant. And very happy with it.

I myself was a BT customer(happy) but was moved over to Vodafone and with a few niggles here and there I was mostly happy with the 8MB I was receiving.

That was until the so called "next gen upgrade" when I had intermittent connection problems, shockingly slow speeds, DNS problems, SMTP problems.
    And very little "support" from Vodafone.

....rant over

Anyways I'd recommend UPC, so far so good anyway.

1046589671.png

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Mister Man

I live off out in Pal =/ I'm with Vodafone. Customer care hasn't been great, speed is the best it can be out here, but we went it Vodafone because it was cheaper and found the upload speed to be almost x5 faster then Eircom. I only get 80-ish kb (Download) but my upload is 50-60kb (Upload) Which is pretty good for such a slow download speed

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭bluefirefly

DrZeuss wrote: »
    I have UPC 14.7MB with only slight variations from that, very consistant. And very happy with it.

I myself was a BT customer(happy) but was moved over to Vodafone and with a few niggles here and there I was mostly happy with the 8MB I was receiving.

That was until the so called "next gen upgrade" when I had intermittent connection problems, shockingly slow speeds, DNS problems, SMTP problems.
    And very little "support" from Vodafone.

....rant over

Anyways I'd recommend UPC, so far so good anyway.

ha! didnt know they have next gen upgrade in vodafone. I know two people that has vodafone, speedwise i think it was ok. but the line is not so staple. it drops arouond 3-4 times a day.

I didnt mention that when i was with the eirom 7mb package i was getting about 5-6mb, but when the NGB 8mb kicks in i only get around 4-5mb speed! what a joke!

mind i ask where about in carlow do you live?
    Mister Man wrote: »
    I live off out in Pal =/ I'm with Vodafone. Customer care hasn't been great, speed is the best it can be out here, but we went it Vodafone because it was cheaper and found the upload speed to be almost x5 faster then Eircom. I only get 80-ish kb (Download) but my upload is 50-60kb (Upload) Which is pretty good for such a slow download speed

Palatine? thats pretty far out. sucks that there aint much option to go for you. My brother live in Chapelstown gate. Right at the back of The Green, they can get UPC, but they cant...

Yeah I'm far side of the town to Hanover, Oak Park area.

As far as I can make out, Vodafone's so called upgrade was a downgrade.

Only have UPC a few weeks now but so far customer service wise they have called me numerous times to make sure I was happy and did I have any queries.

UPC ended up cheaper for higher up and down speed and an extra 150Gb allowance (250Gb vs Vodafone's 100Gb).

I hope I don't jinx myself by praising UPC. :)

Yeah I'm far side of the town to Hanover, Oak Park area.

As far as I can make out, Vodafone's so called upgrade was a downgrade.

Only have UPC a few weeks now but so far customer service wise they have called me numerous times to make sure I was happy and did I have any queries.

UPC ended up cheaper for higher up and down speed and an extra 150Gb allowance (250Gb vs Vodafone's 100Gb).

I hope I don't jinx myself by praising UPC. :)

lol thats great!! i've heard bad things about UPC's customer service. Glad its good. did you order from carphonewarehouse or called them?
    oh can you post your speedtest up too if you dont mind

• Advertisement

lol thats great!! i've heard bad things about UPC's customer service. Glad its good. did you order from carphonewarehouse or called them?
    oh can you post your speedtest up too if you dont mind

Yep, posted up my speedtest already. But here's again...

1047491774.png

No I bought mine through the boards deal, €50 voucher and free installation.

Linky

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭iTom

I am out in Bennekerry and I have Digi Web and never have a problem.
    Very fast and a lot cheaper than Eircom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭ottostreet

I'm on Green Road, and have the 8mb UPC broadband.

Very happy with it so far, but will be upgrading my package cos I'm using too much for their download limits.

Yep, posted up my speedtest already. But here's again...

1047491774.png

No I bought mine through the boards deal, €50 voucher and free installation.

oh sorry!
    dammit. pretty late for that!!
    may check in carphonewarehouse and see do they have any offers. They had the €250 voucher there..last year(?)
    iTom wrote: »
    I am out in Bennekerry and I have Digi Web and never have a problem.
    Very fast and a lot cheaper than Eircom.

But Digi webs download allowance is not as gernerous as Eircom nor UPC. 7MB DSL bundle has only 100gb Wireless bundle 8MB is 60GB! Thats not a whole lot for us because we have 1 pc and 2 laptops at home. But i guess maybe thats the better offer for Bennekerry,and your happy with it. Fair enough. Vodafone has a 8mb with 120gb for 48euro. But from what i heard you might have the line drop one or two times a day.
    ottostreet wrote: »
    I'm on Green Road, and have the 8mb UPC broadband.

Very happy with it so far, but will be upgrading my package cos I'm using too much for their download limits.

What package are you on now and can you post your speedtest? Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Setanta1974

I live a mile from town on the Graiguecullen side and am with Vodafone. Everything was fine until recently when they upgraded me from 3mb to 8mb for free but now the line drops multiple times a day.

There customer care is ok but should be better. Anytime I have a problem, its take about 4 phone calls on average to get everything sorted.

Line speed averages about 6.8mb no matter what time of day and upload speed is about .65mb

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

I bring a three dongle with me to Carlow (Leighlinbridge) when I'm home and the speeds are rubbish, well more rubbish than normal that is. Previously had Eircom in Leighlinbridge.

I live a mile from town on the Graiguecullen side and am with Vodafone. Everything was fine until recently when they upgraded me from 3mb to 8mb for free but now the line drops multiple times a day.

There customer care is ok but should be better. Anytime I have a problem, its take about 4 phone calls on average to get everything sorted.

Line speed averages about 6.8mb no matter what time of day and upload speed is about .65mb

my friends are on 24mb i think and their line drops a few times a day. But Vodafone is cheaper than eircom
    I bring a three dongle with me to Carlow (Leighlinbridge) when I'm home and the speeds are rubbish, well more rubbish than normal that is. Previously had Eircom in Leighlinbridge.
    I have a three dongle as well! But only use it for travelling. The speed is suuuuper slow. Wouldnt use it for long term web surfing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭SIX PACK

Im using 3 Broadband its fast enough as long as your not using it from 16:00 to 19:00 gets very slow during those times, its €20pm

live in the Orchards..filled out the form on boards deal. And got a message saying broadband is not available... and they want me to call them back...why??
    and they kept calling me every bloody morning!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭RealistSpy

UPC is now doing 100MB :O

• Registered Users Posts: 7,895 ✭✭✭patrickc

I got upgraded to the 20mb today as part of their new changes with the small price increase

well impressed

depending on what site I use to check speed running at between 18.5 and 19.7 mb/s:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭RealistSpy

patrickc wrote: »
    I got upgraded to the 20mb today as part of their new changes with the small price increase

well impressed

depending on what site I use to check speed running at between 18.5 and 19.7 mb/s:D

Same when I got the text message I was actually dancing. hahahaha

Same here, upgraded to 20mb, happy days

1110130606.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭tommycahir

Jees guys I am getting jealous here now!! :p
    Only wish those speeds were available outside the town..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

yup i'm on an o2 dongle. eircom dont provide broadband in fenagh and neither do upc. As long as i use the dongle in one particular area of the house the speed is ok. There are not really any other alternative except aptus but the job pays for the o2 dongle so i'll stick with it for the time being.

Thing that p!ss's me off most is was with perlico up to about 2yrs ago and some pushy sales man came around and conviced the missus to change to eircom cause broadband would be here in 3 months and it we would not have to pay a join up fee. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭thirtypence

hi can anyone tell me what the broadband covergae is like in the Palatine area of carlow? Eeircom, BT Ireland, available there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

racso1975 wrote: »
    yup i'm on an o2 dongle. eircom dont provide broadband in fenagh and neither do upc. As long as i use the dongle in one particular area of the house the speed is ok. There are not really any other alternative except aptus but the job pays for the o2 dongle so i'll stick with it for the time being.

Thing that p!ss's me off most is was with perlico up to about 2yrs ago and some pushy sales man came around and conviced the missus to change to eircom cause broadband would be here in 3 months and it we would not have to pay a join up fee. :rolleyes:

cant u get digiweb?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

24Mb/s aint bad in southern gardens

1120264347.png

ba*tards!! man why cant i get UPC!! speed looks really good! might try get eircom 24mb its only 2 euro more expensive than my current package...i actually think they are over charging me! on the net 8mb NGB and talktime chatter is 61.73 pm. but im paying 64.89pm! wtf! gona call them tomorrow..blast you eircom
    actually what about vodafone??the home broadband off peak is cheaper than my package now and its 24mb. the person i knew that lives in riverdell says the service is very stable now and he's getting about 20mb lately than 17-18mb beforehand.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭maccored

ive changed from digiweb to wimax - working out great. 7mbit line with speeds of usually 8+ mbits. No bandwidth limits as its unmetered

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

Anyone know if UPC is avaliable in the Bagenalstown area ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

threein99 wrote: »
    Anyone know if UPC is avaliable in the Bagenalstown area ?

Pretty certain it's not available but you can put your address into the checker at http://www.upc.ie to check.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭d4v1d

On the subject of broadband, that's the main focus of my campaign in the coming election. I live in Carlow town but still can't find a provider able to get more that 4/5Mbs where I live.

www.ireland2011.net

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭thirtypence

what are my options for broadband if im too far from an exchange in carlow? anyone got experience of the satillite broadband providers? the satillite providers normally provide speed of approx 3mb, and im not sure if this is enough to enable me to work from home some days ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭tommycahir

Hi thirtypence

I am using aptus broadband Link and they can offer up to 5mb packages for a standard user and up to 10mb for business users.

I have been working from home for the last 12 months and have found that a 3mb connection is sufficient for all my needs but again that depends on what your home office based work is about.

Advertisement