Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband in Carlow

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭thirtypence

tommycahir wrote: »
    Hi thirtypence

I am using aptus broadband Link and they can offer up to 5mb packages for a standard user and up to 10mb for business users.

I have been working from home for the last 12 months and have found that a 3mb connection is sufficient for all my needs but again that depends on what your home office based work is about.

Thanks Tommy, do you find APTUS reliable? anyone else have experience with them? Tommy, when you do a speedtest at speedtest.net, does it actually deliver 3mb? do they provide a modem for wireless interent in the house?

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭tommycahir

In the 2 and a half years that I have been with them I have only seen 2-3 unplanned outages.

I am actually working on a customer site today so can't do a speed test but there here is a previous one that i completed when I had their 5mb connection
    Link

They can provide a wireless router for an additional fee should it be required.

if my only choice is satillite broadband or mobile broadband thru three.ie or vodafone (using a dongle) which would be best? anyone use a three.ie or vodafone dongle out there? what sorts of speeds were ye getting in the country side?
    thanks again

if my only choice is satillite broadband or mobile broadband thru three.ie or vodafone (using a dongle) which would be best? anyone use a three.ie or vodafone dongle out there? what sorts of speeds were ye getting in the country side?
    thanks again

anyone got experince of three or vodafone mobile broadband? what kind of speeds where you getting?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 LupinFace

Oh, the days when I had clearwire... >.<
    Don't ever get involved with them.
    Don't even consider it!
    Although, the speeds I have now, aren't much better, but what can one expect from mobile broadband? :P

How good is WiMax, does anybody know?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 38 LupinFace

anyone got experience of three or vodafone mobile broadband? what kind of speeds where you getting?

I think my peek speed was around 3mb, and at its lowest around .5mb. It's not the greatest, but it does the job for a reasonable price.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 padraigdel

I live 3 miles from Ballon Co Carlow & have ripplecom broadband.8mb.
    Its always around 1mb up and 5-6mb down.Excellent quality & good service.
    They have a mast up near leinster hills golf club.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭coroner29

I am moving to Staplestown road next week and was looking for some ISPs that provide internet in that area. I've checked UPC but it is not available there. The landlord said that the aparment has a landline so basically I have two options: DSL or wireless. Eircom's NGB Regular is for 55€, Digiweb's Metro 8Mb for 40€ and Digiweb's NGB Lite for 40€ as well.
    I am thinking to go with Digiweb, but I am not sure which of those two shall I choose.

Metro 8Mb
    - WIFI, so I suppose it needs an antenna installed at the roof or somewhere outside, not sure if landlord will like that
    - 60GB of traffic (everything over 30GB is fine for me)
    - Contention 24:1 (this it the bigest bummer, wondering what is the speed in peak hours)

Digiweb NGB Lite & Talk anytime
    - up to 8Mb, need to check with Digiweb what maximum speed can I get on the line, but even 5Mb would be fine for me
    - 40Gb - hope they mean 40GB and not 40Gb, because 40Gb=5GB which is of no use to me
    - no congestion (which is good)

So I am wondering which of those two would you recommend (also reliability-wise) or if you know of any other options...I don't wanna mobile or satellite connection. Any opinion is appreciated.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

have you checked if you can get magnet at that location?

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭coroner29

have you checked if you can get magnet at that location?

I just called them and the guy told me to call on Monday (?).
    The Magnet Force 8 they offer for 50€, is the land line rent included or is it extra?

• Advertisement
Advertisement